Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Discussion - Part 7

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Certainly dont want to say nothing will happen but the majority of time in a Westerly flow, its we breed them, the East enjoys.

However Wednesdays wind direction may be of much more use.

mine and ajpoolshark's storm of 09 May was off a standard westerly,

Edited by Storms? norfolk n chance

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

mine and ajpoolshark's storm of 09 May was off a standard westerly,

Indeed, I have had storms off a Westerly too but imo, it cant be argued that it can be rather hit and miss with this set up. Who knows. We shall wait and see.

Missed the worst of the showers here in Rugby this week, a paltry 3mm since Monday's rain and plenty of pleasant, if rather cool Spring sunshine.

Hi Tony,

Good to see someone pretty local to me in rugby warwickshire, goto dunchurch near rugby quite alot, looks like you may of missed some heavy showers they had on tuesday afternoon/evening, when driving through dunchurch on wednesday morning there were lots of puddles around, i was told by someone living there that it had chucked it down really heavily the previous day, i missed those showers on tuesday too and only had four or five showers a few heavy all week.

Posted

GFS showing -6c in places, im shure some isolated spots could hit -8c somewhere in the early hours.

21-580.GIF?15-6

Cold in the wind, but nice in the sun. Apparently GFS forecasting -5/6C for west mids tonight - a bit worrying for the garden with all the blossom and young fruit set etc.

Posted

We had some soft hail showers from some clouds that didn't even look big enough at around 3pm today.

Just goes to show how cold the 'uppers' are at the minute?

Posted

Cold in the wind, but nice in the sun. Apparently GFS forecasting -5/6C for west mids tonight - a bit worrying for the garden with all the blossom and young fruit set etc.

Indeed!

At work (nursery/garden centre) It took 3 of us over and hour to bring in all the bedding and fleece all the vunerable new growths on things like Acers and perennials.

It's funny coz last week folk were coming in and telling us at how busy B&Q and Homebase had been with folk buying bedding plants!!

Well, to all you guys that have bought bedding prematurely and planted it out already, BE WARNED! It's most likely gonna be dead as a door nail come morning and all for the sake of B&Q and the like making a profit at the expense of poor folk who don't know about these things.

And they hadn't even put up 'protect from frost' signs????

So,if you do have bedding out, wrap it up or it will be dead!

I'm a bit down in the dumps this week as the weather has prevented me from sitting in the garden even when well wrapped up.

I suppose we've just been spoilt the last few years with all the warm springs and all but I'd love it to be mild now.

There does seem to be a little bit of milder weather hinting in the models but it'll probably get no nearer than FI.

How is the CET looking ATM? are we alot below normal?

Posted

wednesday looking like a shocker washout, hope not a new development, because yesterday it looked like a convective sun/showers day, but now heavy persistent rain, usual stafford thing, dry night, wet day, dry night

Edited by Storms? norfolk n chance

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

I sat in the garden every day last week bar Monday, a most pleasant week in the Midlands just the odd shower.

Posted

Frost not so hard for most parts last night, down to just -3c at church lawford for example.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

Weather seems to be really behaving itself at the moment. Virtually clear blue sky here. :)

Posted

Weather seems to be really behaving itself at the moment. Virtually clear blue sky here. smile.png

Standard Telford weather here, yet again after a sunny start theres now 80% cloudcover.

Dire outlook this week, at least there's signals for a warm thundery plume at the end of the month!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Standard Telford weather here, yet again after a sunny start theres now 80% cloudcover.

Dire outlook this week, at least there's signals for a warm thundery plume at the end of the month!

Fingers crossed for that to verify! biggrin.png

As for today, not too bad....mainly sunny with some scattered Cumulus & feeling warm out of the breeze....All down hill from here though over the next 12-24 hours...Still, some convective possibilties over the next few dayssmile.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

A nice day here. No cloudfest like in Telford. In fact the sun has hidden on just a few occasions for a short while behind some fluffy cumulus.

Mind you turning cloudier for all now as Sat24 shows.

Edited by Blizzards

Posted

Gone cloudy here now too, but nice day. Asparagus survived the frost with the help of grass cuttings and fleece, and are now looking forward to a nice long drink from all the rain that we are supposed to be getting. I'll believe it when I see it.

Edited by picog

Posted

West Midlands region looking one of the best for convective activity this week with numerous chances tomorrow, Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday as it stands right now.

Winds sometimes from the North East may help things for us for a change!

Posted

West Midlands region looking one of the best for convective activity this week with numerous chances tomorrow, Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday as it stands right now.

Winds sometimes from the North East may help things for us for a change!

not sure about wednesday, looks like being a horrid 'Easter monday' style washout, but yeah thurs to Sun look good, tomorrow just looks like fast moving fleeting rain showers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

I'll sort out a fresh thread in the morning...this one's getting on a bit now........as Mark & Luke have posted, there's some good convective potential in the coming days

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

Something really does need to be done about the cloud in Telford and the rest of Shropshire. Surely that cloud must get bored of hanging about in one place. Should stick around London instead. blum.gif

As it happens, I went to Carding Mill Vally in Church Stretton (Shropshire) today and noticed quite an increase in cloudcover on my way their, with some convective looking cloud of what seemed like cumulus and strato-cumulus. Was a bit chilly on top of some of the surrounding hills their I have to admit and the clouds looked somewhat stormy looking:

post-10703-0-70864100-1334615057_thumb.p

As for thundery/plume potential would be great to see this occur. Apart from the odd instance of thundery weather in August last year here, and with the odd thundery shower last April too, does feel like it has been a while since a proper thunderstorm hung around here.

Posted

According to the BBC forecast last night, the midlands might get one of those stalling frontal systems on Wednesday - with lots of rain. Do you think this is a possibility.

Posted

Possibly Picog, could also be some Thundery element too if the charts are right with some CAPE etc mixed in. The rain looks like it will pivot over us.

Posted

rubbish, yet again the rain here is only light, and the showers won't get here, the charts look very unsettled but as usual its just cloudy and dry

Atlantic weather systems are useless for my part of the world, thundery plumes are much better, but they are as common as snow is in winter.

Posted

Showers beefing up a bit now. Thunderstorms will be very limited this afternoon though I think. Tomorrow sounds like it could be quite a nasty day under downpours and heavy rain, maybe some hail and thunder.