Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The North Of England Regional Discussion

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, severe gales, heavy rain and alpine climates

crikey, rained almost non-stop in Consett area today. Sun came thoruhg for about 15-20 mins during late morning. thats it. grim.com

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

In Cleadon we had the onshore breeze keeping things stable, but unlike in Yorkshire a stratocumulus sheet also remained very stubborn resulting in a dull dry day and a high of 14.4C. The sun briefly tried to poke through around mid-afternoon but otherwise about as bland as it gets.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Sections of the M1 in Leeds are closed due to excess surface water.. not surprising, totals of up to 25mm in West Yorkshire today from this, which stalled:

246dc4122f0f4a80ac45a8a.png

Edited by Aaron

Posted

In Cleadon we had the onshore breeze keeping things stable, but unlike in Yorkshire a stratocumulus sheet also remained very stubborn resulting in a dull dry day and a high of 14.4C. The sun briefly tried to poke through around mid-afternoon but otherwise about as bland as it gets.

Spent the day up at Newbiggin,and conditions there were very similar,although it did feel quite pleasant

compared to previous days!

Could be quite a dry week in the north-east,at least up until next weekend. rolleyes.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

The weekend looks like having rain around but the overall weather is open to question. If the GFS and ECMWF verify then it will probably end up warmer than at any prior point during the month (though still not significantly above the long-term average) with a mix of sun and showers, the showers possibly heavy and thundery during late afternoon/evening. On the other hand the UKMO with its low sliding over southern areas is bound to give us a complete washout with a slow moving band of rain.

I'm going down to Reading for the next couple of days but don't think I'll get any joy down there- until a couple of days ago it looked likely to be bright, showery and potentially thundery but it now looks likely that they'll have an area of persistent rain and daytime temperatures no higher than on the north-east coast.

Posted

BTW it's me Hotcuppa. I deleted my email address and since I did that, I cannot login using my other account.

Anyway, yesterday despite a few drops of rain, it was a whole lot better than it's been in the proceeding week, where we had grey skies and

what seemed like continuous light rain for days and days on end, with temperatures lower than those of last June at just 12/13C.

Still this morning, it looking glorious with bright sunshine and very little in the way of cloud coverage. Looking on the radar I use, it seems to me

that any of those showers coming in from the North west are dissipating over the Irish sea. So it looks like we may escape today with very little

in the way of many rain showers, if any.

Current temperatures 10.2C

Dewpoint 7C

Humidity 77%

Barometer: 1010.2mb steady

Cloud coverage: Clear skies

Forecast for today: Hale: Cheshire

Clear with few clouds. Remaining dry. Rain chance 3% Breezy at times

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Yesterday was the 6th completely sunless day this month here. This is not unprecedented as the Junes of 1978, 1982, 1983, 1995 and 2000 all recorded 6 sunless days but it is remarkable for the first 11 days. We are just 1 day short of equalling the June record of 7 days in 1997.

Equally remarkable is the sunshine total for the first 11 days of the month which stands at just over 11 hours, this would be well below average in December and, in my records, is unprecedented in June.

N.B I did record 9 sunless days in June 1971 but that was by visual observation only and there could well have been some days with a small amount of sunshine early in the morning, before I was up and about.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

NAE rainfall totals show a lot of rain for northern England..

12061506_1318.gif

12061512_1318.gif

12061518_1318.gif

Parts of Leeds could see over 30mm..

Posted

A thunderstorm has just passed through here, and it's now back to sun and partly cloudy skies.

Posted

We've had two, power went off briefly twice, a lot of thunder and a further 6mm or so of rain.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter cold,snow and frost. Summer hot and thundery

The band of storms that passed though the teeside area were very active and produced alot of lightning, unfortunatly for me the least intence part of the band decided to go threw my area. Some's up my luck with storms always seems like it cant miss but somehow it does.

Posted

It appears that last storm over my house (Im currently elsewhere) has caused a power cut as my weather station has stopped sending out data.

A second rather more active cell just passed over a few minutes ago. Again very little rain from it though. The cells seem to intensify as they approach the east coast, not what I would have expected.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, Thunder, Snow, Thundersnow, Hail, Sunshine, Rainbows

The band of storms that passed though the teeside area were very active and produced alot of lightning, unfortunatly for me the least intence part of the band decided to go threw my area. Some's up my luck with storms always seems like it cant miss but somehow it does.

I just got a soaking when leaving Murton near Seaham. Was a few rumbles of thunder but then just heavy rain. Has cleared up now though.

Posted

It appears that last storm over my house (Im currently elsewhere) has caused a power cut as my weather station has stopped sending out data.

Hope that is all that's happened, the phone lines often get hit round here and it's very easy for modems to be damaged.

I unplug it at the socket if I'm about, don't worry so much about power surges in the mains.

It typically trips out once or twice during Tstorms but comes back on after several seconds.

The weather station runs on a laptop and the davis console has batteries so they just carry on as if nothing happened.

Posted

Lovely rainbow over Leeds tonight my camera was broken was gutted not to get a picture !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun ,Snow and Cold

Quack,Quack,Quack,Quack,Quack.

sorry thats just ,Quack, evolution kicking in...us folk in the North West are gonna be turning to ducks(or fish) in the very near future if this weather continues

i am so sick of this summer already

Edited by Spurry

Posted

I was just reminiscing and I remember the last proper summer storm in Newcastle was the early hours of 1 August 2008. Is there anywhere I can get a radar image of this event?

Posted

It's another cool and damp day, hard to believe into 2nd half of June and struggling around 13C even with sunny spells through this morning.

Posted

I was just reminiscing and I remember the last proper summer storm in Newcastle was the early hours of 1 August 2008. Is there anywhere I can get a radar image of this event?

I don't know of any free resources but N-W Extra has a radar archive dating back to late-2005. Among free resources the closest is probably the new Wetterzentrale archive which has synoptic charts, 2m temperatures and 6-hour precipitation at 6-hour intervals.

I'm surprised at the comment re. 1st August 2008- much of July 2009, and the period 26th June-12th July 2011, were unusually thundery by North East standards. The storms on the 1st July 2009 were particularly intense according to reports from the region.

Posted

Another poor weekend here. Yesterday was a washout until evening when it did clear nicely, but cool. Today whilst dry remained dissapointingly cloudy until yet again late in the day.

Temperatures throughout the whole weekend haven't risen above 14 degrees, very very poor for June, we often get many a milder weekend in April and October and on occasion March and even November!.

Where has the sunshine dissapeared too?

Edited by damianslaw