Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia & The South East Regional Discussion - Part 2

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

Interesting read about May on the MetO blog...

While many people associate May with the start of summer weather, it can actually be a month of very mixed and variable conditions – with wide contrasts possible.

This is borne out by the piece of old weather lore:

Ne’er cast a clout,

Until May is out.

While this rhyme is a bit ambiguous and open to interpretation, one view is that this means don’t throw out your winter clothing (from clout – which means thread or cloth) until May is over – presumably because you can expect virtually any type of weather at this time of year.

So, unsettled and cool weather – even with snow or frosts – isn’t out of context in May despite perceptions that it’s typically a warm and sunny time of year.

http://metofficenews...it-snow-in-may/

Yes, I posted on here, probably 10 days or so ago, alluding to that lore. I'd walked a dog in the morning and was pretty cold ( and I don't really suffer the cold like some do )

Edited by Speed67

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

...... I'd walked a dog in the morning and was pretty cold ( and I don't really suffer the cold like some do )

I'm quite looking forward to casting my clouts - It just goes to show as Archiesmummy said that we have been spoiled by the last few years of unseasonably warm weather early on.

As we have paid for it with lousy summers I'm just hoping the benefit for being cold and still having the heating on now will be rewarded by a scorchio summer - if not I will need to book another holiday !

Posted

Yes, a scorching summer would be great! With occasional thundery breakdowns of course.diablo.gif

Posted

Interesting read about May on the MetO blog...

While many people associate May with the start of summer weather, it can actually be a month of very mixed and variable conditions – with wide contrasts possible.

This is borne out by the piece of old weather lore:

Ne’er cast a clout,

Until May is out.

While this rhyme is a bit ambiguous and open to interpretation, one view is that this means don’t throw out your winter clothing (from clout – which means thread or cloth) until May is over – presumably because you can expect virtually any type of weather at this time of year.

So, unsettled and cool weather – even with snow or frosts – isn’t out of context in May despite perceptions that it’s typically a warm and sunny time of year.

http://metofficenews...it-snow-in-may/

Hello MK

Another interpretation that has some basis is that 'May' refers to the May tree, which is also I think the Hawthorn, and May being out means its blossom. This would be a bit earlier in the year I think.

A more modern interpretation would be not to take off any clothes until Theresa May has left office, but I'm less convinced by that one (mainly because I have just made it up)...

AS

Posted

Yes, a scorching summer would be great! With occasional thundery breakdowns of course.diablo.gif

That goes without saying angel.gif

I rather like those hot and humid summer nights when you get storms and everything is cooled down by torrential rain...it would be nice to get some of them this year !

Posted

I rather like those hot and humid summer nights when you get storms and everything is cooled down by torrential rain...it would be nice to get some of them this year !

I must admit I think it's been quite a few years since we've had a long spell of thundery weather at night where I live.

Having said that, when I was younger I seemed to wake even when there was just heat lightning. Now it seems that thunder has to crash right overhead to wake me, so maybe I've just slept through events!lazy.gif

Posted

Hello MK

Another interpretation that has some basis is that 'May' refers to the May tree, which is also I think the Hawthorn, and May being out means its blossom. This would be a bit earlier in the year I think.

A more modern interpretation would be not to take off any clothes until Theresa May has left office, but I'm less convinced by that one (mainly because I have just made it up)...

AS

Hi AS,

I had heard that interpretation before (the Hawthorn version not your Theresa May one - lol) but it seems a bit early to cast your clouts to me as the May blossom is usually in flower around April time round here, which makes you wonder why it's not called April blossom !

And of course there is also Shakespear's Sonnet 18 to consider:

Rough winds do shake the darling buds of May,

And summer's lease hath all too short a date

which certainly refers to the Hawthorn buds blowing in what were probably March winds, and how short summer feels (hopefully not...if we ever get one this year rolleyes.gif )

Hark at us getting all poetical....and in the regional thread too angel.gif

Guest archiesmummy

Forget that! Post I wrote wasn't what I thought it was and can't delete!

Edited by archiesmummy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms. All extreme weather.

Oooh, me too. It's lovely when you're sat outside just enjoying the silence and the stillness when......you hear that ominous ( but wonderful) growling in the distance. Then you see the flickers of lightning dancing through the clouds and your windier friends/family retreat indoors. :D

Posted

I cannot name the source due to nothing more sinister than company regulations pertaining to posting on social media and websites ( and hence don't want to risk my job ) , but a major operator at London Heathrow has claimed that nearly 40 of its aircraft were struck by lightning when approaching or leaving Heathrow during April 2012.

All needed inspections, and many required repairs, either at Heathrow or overseas. That would seem to confirm what was a very stormy month for our part of the country.

Posted

Forget that! Post I wrote wasn't what I thought it was and can't delete!

lol - are you okay.....it's not Gin O'clock already is it ? I wouldn't blame you if it was...especially with two sick kids !

Posted

.......................Then you see the flickers of lightning dancing through the clouds and your windier friends/family retreat indoors. biggrin.png

That's what I love about us 'weather freaks' we are always running the other way towards the 'interesting weather'....usually with a camera in hand while frantically trying to update our status feed laugh.png

Guest archiesmummy

Gin o clock! Are behind the queen on twitter?! Sounds like a good idea tho, yeah am fine was just having a stupid moment!

Love the other post about running towards a weather incident, so many times have been out in garden trying to capture pictures of lightening, neighbours don't even ask anymore just know we are bonkers! Don't laugh tho when we give them 10days notice of snow thanks to the excellent people on here!

Posted

I cannot name the source due to nothing more sinister than company regulations pertaining to posting on social media and websites ( and hence don't want to risk my job ) , but a major operator at London Heathrow has claimed that nearly 40 of its aircraft were struck by lightning when approaching or leaving Heathrow during April 2012.

All needed inspections, and many required repairs, either at Heathrow or overseas. That would seem to confirm what was a very stormy month for our part of the country.

Mind you, if none of Anthonyb's planes were struck it probably didn't happen!

Posted

Hi AS,

I had heard that interpretation before (the Hawthorn version not your Theresa May one - lol) but it seems a bit early to cast your clouts to me as the May blossom is usually in flower around April time round here, which makes you wonder why it's not called April blossom !

And of course there is also Shakespear's Sonnet 18 to consider:

Rough winds do shake the darling buds of May,

And summer's lease hath all too short a date

which certainly refers to the Hawthorn buds blowing in what were probably March winds, and how short summer feels (hopefully not...if we ever get one this year rolleyes.gif )

Hark at us getting all poetical....and in the regional thread too angel.gif

Here's something with some beautiful weather (and other stuff) in it - Poem in October, Dylan Thomas (makes a change from me quoting Flanders and Swan!)

Goose bumps are obligatory.....

http://www.bigeye.com/october.htm

AS

Edited by abruzzi spur

Posted

Here's something with some beautiful weather (and other stuff) in it - Poem in October, Dylan Thomas (makes a change from me quoting Flanders and Swan!)

AS

You just can't beat a bit of Dylan Thomas .....

"And I am dumb to tell a weather’s wind how time has ticked a heaven round the stars"

Guest archiesmummy

AS

Gosh am a softie...is someone cutting onions?

Ahem....anyway, apparently the London weather forecast was cut short tonight due to a gang of drunken women harassing Peter Cockcroft! Didn't see it just saw the tweets!

Posted

hi archiesmummy

i must be having a funny turn vava.giflaugh.png

ecm 12z

Recm1201.gif

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Recm1201.gif

chilly but dry

Recm1441.gif

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Recm1441.gif

getting warmer and looks dry but probably cloudy

Recm1681.gif

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Recm1681.gif

warm and dry possibly cloudy though

Recm1921.gif

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Recm1921.gif

warm and dry hopefully sunny

Recm2161.gif

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Recm2161.gif

warm with low pressure nearby

might see some storms here

Recm2401.gif

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Recm2401.gif

warm and some nice low pressure systems close by

could see some storms from that as well

looks like atlantic on its way back after this

Posted

AM, it's funny isn't it how some ink on a page can do that. The power of words

All I need to do now is read my favourite bit from Child's Christmas in Wales and that's the evening finished for all practical purposes!

Go on, I dare you:

'Always on Christmas night there was music. An uncle played the fiddle, a cousin sang "Cherry Ripe," and another uncle sang "Drake's Drum." It was very warm in the little house. Auntie Hannah, who had got on to the parsnip wine, sang a song about Bleeding Hearts and Death, and then another in which she said her heart was like a Bird's Nest; and then everybody laughed again; and then I went to bed. Looking through my bedroom window, out into the moonlight and the unending smoke-colored snow, I could see the lights in the windows of all the other houses on our hill and hear the music rising from them up the long, steady falling night. I turned the gas down, I got into bed. I said some words to the close and holy darkness, and then I slept.'

Guest archiesmummy

AM, it's funny isn't it how some ink on a page can do that. The power of words

All I need to do now is read my favourite bit from Child's Christmas in Wales and that's the evening finished for all practical purposes!

Go on, I dare you:

'Always on Christmas night there was music. An uncle played the fiddle, a cousin sang "Cherry Ripe," and another uncle sang "Drake's Drum." It was very warm in the little house. Auntie Hannah, who had got on to the parsnip wine, sang a song about Bleeding Hearts and Death, and then another in which she said her heart was like a Bird's Nest; and then everybody laughed again; and then I went to bed. Looking through my bedroom window, out into the moonlight and the unending smoke-colored snow, I could see the lights in the windows of all the other houses on our hill and hear the music rising from them up the long, steady falling night. I turned the gas down, I got into bed. I said some words to the close and holy darkness, and then I slept.'

Words are so powerful for sure, I could smell the cinnamon and feel the cold from the snow, the smell of the snow, you know that smell, or is it just me! I have an urge to put my Christmas tree up now!

Very nice, after day have had that warmed me right up...thank you :)

I will let you off John but only because its may, but if you start posting charts like that in December there will be trouble! Lol

Posted

Words are so powerful for sure, I could smell the cinnamon and feel the cold from the snow, the smell of the snow, you know that smell, or is it just me! I have an urge to put my Christmas tree up now!

Very nice, after day have had that warmed me right up...thank you smile.png

I will let you off John but only because its may, but if you start posting charts like that in December there will be trouble! Lol

deal laugh.png

Posted

Very nice, after day have had that warmed me right up...thank you smile.png

I always think of snow as having a sort of metallic but sweet smell when it's new, probably because of the cold air cutting through to the lungs and the meringue look!

Anyway, happy the quotes went down well. Hope your kids are on the mend

AS

Guest archiesmummy

Ah thanks everyone, yeah we will see how tonight goes, hubby not well now, I don't have time to be ill so hope don't come down with it! You watch, weather will turn nasty again just as they all get well, am getting cabin fever!

Posted

Mind you, if none of Anthonyb's planes were struck it probably didn't happen!

I don't own any planes so I'm unable to report if any of mine got hit.

Come on - you can do better that surely

Posted

just for fun

for people looking for real heat

cfs-0-876.png?12

trouble is it is t876 rolleyes.gif

the weather does look to warm up a bit from the 20th onwards for a few days

looks a bit wet according to 18z gfs

will look at ecm 12z again tomorrow to see what that shows

MT8_London_ens.png

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=charts;type=ens;sess=

Edited by john pike