Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Uk Convective General Discussion & Forecasts - April 2012 part 3

Liam J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

This spell of weather has certainly delivered for me in terms of rainfall, but thunder and lightning wise, unfortunately it has been a complete non-event. One solitary distant rumble two days ago sums it up. When reading about how some lucky souls have had day after day of activity, the word frustration doesn't even begin to cover it.

Yes I know its only April yadda yadda, but it already looks like the infuriating pattern of recent years (where some areas get above average activity whilst the unlucky ones miss out time after time) is reasserting itself.

The 3 year 8 month wait goes on........

Edited by Carl43Wrexham

Posted

obviously not your part mate, exmouth area showed a decent storm on the lightning detector. there has been the odd rumble around the south east but some localised spots around the country have done much better.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

Wow. One minute it was sunny and now I got extremely dark cloud moving in from the West crossing the Severn Estuary. If only I had a camera it looks very thundery. if it doesn't produce lightning here I think it will after it passes over me and heads east.

Edit: Rain has decayed on radar from the shower over me now and is producing light/moderate rain and is moving on fairly quickly. Dam you Bristol channel.

Edited by Bugganuts

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow

Looks a nice cell over Broseley if anyone is over that way!

Posted

I am another of those who has had nothing over this spell, I could probably count the number of showers I've had this month on one hand (the sad thing is, this isn't even an exaggeration). There's not been a real storm here for around two years.

The fact it's only April doesn't matter, I can already see this being an 'everywhere but here year'. I am aware of the lack of storms in other select areas, but these are scarce.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, cold winters.. How it should be!

Some home grown showers developing here for the first time in a while. There seems to be no cap today aswell unlike yesterday!

Here is one that has grown from nothing in the last 20 minutes:

DSC_0653.jpg

And these 2 were taken last evening at about 7pm:

DSC_0644.jpg

DSC_0642.jpg

Edited by Convective

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Nothing doing again here now...all activity moved south and east of here leaving nothing upwind. Fed up.com :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Back in West Cumbria now, on the immediate coastal strip it's clear and sunny quite a pleasant day really. Cb building inland towering upwards nicely so hopefully I'll manage to get some home grown convection kicking off this afternoon. Only moderately hopefully though! Looking promising ATM :)

Posted

Looks a nice cell over Broseley if anyone is over that way!

Only had a bit of light rain and some hail here Kain... look North of Telford for the storms... Need to move 20 odd miles North methinks...

Posted

Nothing doing again here now...all activity moved south and east of here leaving nothing upwind. Fed up.com sad.png

Same here , not expeting any thunder here , I have learned to realise its very difficult if not impossible to storms to occur here in westerlies thesedays despite what the charts or forcasts say, the local weather forcasts have mentioned thunder in their forcasts everyday for the last week, I just laugh it off.

However it never used to be like this , in the seventies and eighties it was fairly common for thundery showers to happen here in these setups I am sure it wasnt selective memory, when the forcast mentioned thunder there seemed a much better chance of catching a thunder shower,

Something HAS changed

Posted

A very pleasant day yesterday even managed to have a barbeque,didn't rain until just after 8pm,can't believe in 2 weeks of potential not a flash or rumble in sight very annoying,people mention summer and the better chances but I haven't seen a thunderstorm in years no matter what time of year it is,also I gathered some information on why the east does well and the west does poorly when it comes to storms and it wasn't good reading seems I'm in one of the worst parts of the uk!I'm willing to give it the rest of the year but if nothing happens then I will be giving up on my storm interest completly there's really no point in having a interest in something I never ever get to see.

Posted

Same here , not expeting any thunder here , I have learned to realise its very difficult if not impossible to storms to occur here in westerlies thesedays despite what the charts or forcasts say, the local weather forcasts have mentioned thunder in their forcasts everyday for the last week, I just laugh it off.

However it never used to be like this , in the seventies and eighties it was fairly common for thundery showers to happen here in these setups I am sure it wasnt selective memory, when the forcast mentioned thunder there seemed a much better chance of catching a thunder shower,

Something HAS changed

its the new goverment tax on thunderstorms. only us rich folk in the south east can afford them now.....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW!

Bit more optimistic that we'll hear a few rumbles today. Looks to be sferics in the cell approaching Telford at the mo which may make it to us :-)

Posted

Only had a bit of light rain and some hail here Kain... look North of Telford for the storms... Need to move 20 odd miles North methinks...

Seems like most of it looks nicer than what it actually produces. No idea why really. The anvils towards Quatt look amazing. Photo soon!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Absolutely chucking it down now. Quite a messy day with a lot of low cloud between showers but at least there are some beefy ones about. They seem to be hugging either side of the Severn Estuary so no doubt I'll miss any thunder today.

Posted

Few looking towards quatt. Mama too!

Nothing comming from them though.

post-3685-0-62353500-1335100079_thumb.jp

post-3685-0-10255000-1335100100_thumb.jp

post-3685-0-05683200-1335100165_thumb.jp

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

first lightning seen by me this summer, 5 rumbles now

Yes some good convection to my south seen on the southern horizon.....too far south for here though unless convergence moves north

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Monsoon like rain at the moment, yet nothing on the radar...

Posted

Looking on the NW radar Im in direct line of a cell thats giving sferics!! Have the gods finally given up torturing me? :D:D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow, Floods...

Big Hail Storm jusat come through where I am 5 miles west of SHrewsbury... looked for all the world like a storm that might be thundery but not today.... again...

Looking at the Radar, seems like it had some lightening from it east of Shrewsbury heading for Telford and the West Mids...

Cell developed rapidly over the last thirty minutes

Posted

Very dark North and NW of here... we got incoming!!!! yahoo.gif

ABOUT BLEEPING TIME haha