Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Uk Convective General Discussion & Forecasts - April 2012 part 3

Liam J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Spring like day today here, no rain at all since earlier this morning and plenty of warm sunshine. I'm always wanting a storm but has been nice being out and enjoying some sunshine. Tomorrow looks a possibility again for most people. And I have my eye on next week, 12z looks good for Tuesday afternoon, although previous runs haven't been good for here so will need a few more runs before I start to take any real notice.

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms

Some nice pictures there, what camera/lens was you using?

Lewis

A Canon 550D with kit lens.

My photography skills are pretty poor so I am going on a weekend course soon!

Posted

A Canon 550D with kit lens.

I think you captured what's happening pretty well, I use to have the 40SD (Canon) or something like that, they are good cameras, wait till you've done a course and get into photography big style, prices of lenses ain't cheap lol.

When I was out chasing today with the lads, local chaser Dell Trott, had a Nikon, some money's worth there, and he had his lightning detector hooked up too it so it would automatically take a picture the second there's a bolt.

Photography and weather is all about timing 90% of the time, the timing of getting that perfect shot, and when you get it, it's rewarding :)

Lewis

Edited by UK Storm Chasers

Posted

One flash and rumble whilst I was at work, about 6pm. Then when I was at the bus stop another, (what looked to be a CG) to my east.

Doesn't look to be any more activity this evening but tomorrow looks good for a few storms!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, clouds, aurora

Another mini chase! Right under cell that has passed over, CG and IC seen, some interesting scud in the distance, mammatus forming, rain and hail core, with rainbow in distance but more like a smear over the distant rain and hail. Another cell behind me? Looks quite dark, managed to get mobile radar working Very pleased with all this interesting weather we are having :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, stormy summers and snowy winters please.

Another mini chase! Right under cell that has passed over, CG and IC seen, some interesting scud in the distance, mammatus forming, rain and hail core, with rainbow in distance but more like a smear over the distant rain and hail. Another cell behind me? Looks quite dark, managed to get mobile radar working Very pleased with all this interesting weather we are having smile.png

Where abouts are you?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

10 miles too south unfortunately for me todaysad.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, cold winters.. How it should be!

A little something lurking in the distance here.

DSC_0621.jpg

DSC_0622-1.jpg

Posted

Where abouts are you?

Now at an old airfield near Hadleigh, Suffolk. I don't go far but it is enough (did miles enough in USA last year to make up for it!). I live where i can't see much sky so I like to get in the car to get to viewpoints where I can at least see most of the sky!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms

Last one from me today .

I just watched this beauty develop in the last hour as it passed overhead!

post-4523-0-38146500-1335031079_thumb.jp

Posted

Last one from me today .

post-4523-0-38146500-1335031079_thumb.jp good.gif

Don't bother with the weekend course,that's a belter!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow

Last one from me today .

post-4523-0-38146500-1335031079_thumb.jp

Wow thats an awesome capture mate

Posted

Couple of quick grabs from a video I had rolling as I bimbled south on the A1 earlier...

This is the cell that was sat over Goole/Sprunehorpe at about 1945.

C0m5E.jpg

87hrN.jpg

Looked absolutely massive from 20+ miles away.

Posted

Quick re-post..

We're launching a media partner program - if you would like to be paid for sharing your weather footage with us, it could be for you - more info:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Some heavy showers around now and i'm shure I just heard thunder. Can anyone connfurm?

Posted

Some Quick stills guys, this is from cell number one on our chase.

First strike

post-12083-0-76653300-1335040758_thumb.p

Second strike

post-12083-0-83045400-1335040624_thumb.p

Double strike

post-12083-0-70151000-1335040602_thumb.p

Dell Trotts Panoramic from yesterdays chasing "lovely cell"

post-12083-0-46827400-1335042118_thumb.j

Hoping to get some more lightning shots tomorrow, as it's looking fairly active around this area once again, as is many other areas smile.png.

Sorry about the poor quality on the last image (double) strike, think it was too bright for my camera. I'll try and get the exact frame shot if I can I might not have gotten the exact frame.

Lewis

Edited by UK Storm Chasers

Posted

Cracking shots lewis. love the 3rd one, was the thunder loud?

thanks viking :)

Thunder was like bombs on that one, very loud, i'm just looking through my other videos i think i have some with loud thunder on too, lightning was inner cloud though but sure video picked up the flashes.

Will post whatever more I find.

Lewis

Posted

sounds fun smile.png, no thunder today in cardiff, but clouds looked dark enough for it. as was down Cardiff Yacht Club(member) today working on the boat, me and my mate were expecting it

Edited by viking_smb

Posted

typically enough, when I am at work and not able to appreciate and witness any storms forming over head, there are loads. Weekend comes and bugger all happens!

I have my hopes pinned on tomorrow....

Posted

Another mini chase! Right under cell that has passed over, CG and IC seen, some interesting scud in the distance, mammatus forming, rain and hail core, with rainbow in distance but more like a smear over the distant rain and hail. Another cell behind me? Looks quite dark, managed to get mobile radar working Very pleased with all this interesting weather we are having smile.png

Not sure if this has uploaded properly. Some grainy captures from my iPhone 4S video. Quite pleased to have caught them. Might try to upload better quality cloud shots later, from today

post-7276-0-36911800-1335046870_thumb.jppost-7276-0-41854100-1335046881_thumb.jppost-7276-0-32275600-1335046894_thumb.jp

Posted

Wasn't much here today, just a few moderate showers blowing around.

Another mediocre convective day tomorrow under a continuing poor atmospheric profile for something more substantial, with infrequent lightning and possibly marble-sized hail again the likely entertaining features of any storms. Slack converging of the surface winds, steep lapse rates and still relatively low LCLs brings another small of funnel development.

I await a major pattern change that favours strong/severe thunderstorm development.

Don't be greedy for this time of year most of us aren't doing to badly

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Absolutely- taking the country as a whole this is bound to be the most thundery April since at least 2008, and possibly since 1998.

It could be more exciting from a convection point of view, but then again, we could be staring at a spell with slow-moving fronts draped around low pressure, a spell with a constant train of Atlantic weather systems and limited windows of bright showery weather in between, or (dare I say it) a prolonged settled spell with high pressure close by.

I think the outlook from a convection point of view still has to fall into the 'pretty good/promising' category up until at least Tuesday- after all, each of the previous three Aprils had prolonged spells without any convective stuff at all.