Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Uk Convective General Discussion & Forecasts - April 2012 part 3

Liam J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Lol story of the last few years here when it comes to storms.

Look on the bright side, if you're stateside bound soon you'll get enough storms & tornadoes to sink a battleship! biggrin.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Nice hail shower here! :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Looking pretty dark to the NW of here, with some spots of rain. Lightning detected near Swansea...

That's encouraging! Can see some big cbs to the west.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Hail was pea sized here for a time. No thunder but a good start. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Some very bright echoes showing up on the radar now (on a collision course with Cleadon)- I'm not necessarily expecting any thunder but there might be some more hail from this beast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Weather

That's encouraging! Can see some big cbs to the west.

These are the latest pics of the skies to the West.

post-15401-0-20883500-1335012176_thumb.j

post-15401-0-27788500-1335012191_thumb.j

post-15401-0-81913900-1335012207_thumb.j

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Thundery or Cold & Snowy

Nice brief hail shower here, with a a sole rumble of thunder. The cell has moved out to sea and is building nicely, gone black to my south again so Brixham and Dartmouth could be in for round 2.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/Clear and Frosty/Snow Showers

Sharp shower consisting of rain and hail,squally SE winds,really dark storm clouds probably 20 miles NE of here,Mansfield area?!

Posted

Look on the bright side, if you're stateside bound soon you'll get enough storms & tornadoes to sink a battleship! biggrin.png

Lol that is true, its where i've been getting my fix the last two years lol

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Convection seems to struggling here in London today so far and looks to be across alot of the SE too, updrafts seems to be hitting a cap.

Posted

Today is looking rather more promising for convection near the Tyneside coast- just had an unexpected hailstorm (the first occurrence of hail here since last Sunday) and more heavy showers showing up on the radar.

I do think Stormmad26's location seems to have a benign microclimate- when I was down in Exeter back in 2009 I picked up quite a few notable weather events that he missed. In Tyne and Wear the equivalent of that is probably Tynemouth- quite often Tynemouth seems to miss the convection even if Cleadon is getting one shower/thunderstorm after another.

I think you're probably right - It does feel like it sometimes although part of it could be a case of the 'grass always being greener on the other side'. Today I think it might just be bad luck although at least I heard some thunder even if quite distant, as I didn't expect that really. I don't think it helped that twice in a row when we actually had thunderstorms at my school in 2009/2010 I was stuck in a windowless room much of the time! (one of them was an exam).

Half the problem is probably due to the sea a few miles south of here and the orientation of the coast, though the coast has been closer to both nearby storms this April! At least we get low night time minima in the valley here relative to much of the SW which is an interesting aspect.

Anyway to be more on topic we have actually just had a brief shower of large rain drops and hail from a developing updraught which speckled the ground.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

O but the SE haven't had any storms over the last week, have they!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

Absolute deluge of rain and hail in North Shields, near Newcastle.

Posted

O but the SE haven't had any storms over the last week, have they!

True, looks like a rest day for the SE! Recharge the batteries.

Posted

Think the convection seems to be fizzling out on the moors. Perhaps a lull before another round later in the day?

Posted

no-one on here from lincoln area or south humberside? they seem to be getting some action!

Posted

Just had a moderate shower pass through just now, had some hail mixed in with the rain, but didn't really amount to much.

Here on the South Coast we haven't had any Thunderstorms this week at all, and as we are listed in the South east, not everyone has seen them. Just moderate to sometimes showers passing through. With a Different wind direction today, I hope that can change!

Seems to be more showers developing thanks to the help of Sailsbury plain it seems! Heres to some storms! good.gif

SM

Posted

Just had a rather lively cell pass over here is the last few minutes. Very heavy rain and hail accompanied by forked lighning and loud thunder. This has been brewing for the past couple of days, but conditions until now haven't been quite right.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

I bet the uk storm chase team (Lewis et al) are getting a good show as it looks like quite a few strikes detected around the Humber.

Posted

I bet the uk storm chase team (Lewis et al) are getting a good show as it looks like quite a few strikes detected around the Humber.

Wouldn't be at all suprised if they were to see a funnel cloud on their travels as conditions are right for those too. Overall it is certainly a lively day. Another cell is encoaching my area now and looks just as lively as the last one :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

Wow, line of CB's to my west as far as the eye can see.

Gonna be some great showers later!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Cells keep dying as they cross over Wales - why!