Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Uk Convective General Discussion & Forecasts - April 2012 part 3

Liam J

Posted

The Watnall 00z ascent is probably representative for most central and eastern areas of England and it shows tops readily to 24-26000ft with 11C T and between 3-5C Td.

The Extra prediction for Doncaster shows similar for 12Z but with tops becoming more limited by 18Z

For this area all the upper winds are now n of west, up to 18000ft, yesterday the lowers winds were thus but from 10-18000ft they were still mostly southerly.

I suspect this was in part responsible for the semi permanent radar echo SE of here through the night with some places getting almost 25mm.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

North & East Yorkshire are a good bet today, intense cells developing on the radar although the cell near Darlington has lost some energy over the last 20 mins after showing 50-60mm/hr PPN falls.

Lincs again could have some impressive convective developments, perhaps further funnel clouds could materialise in a few locations? Keep a camera handy folks!

Edited by Liam J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Well the Cardiff cell did decay a little bit into something more linear. A decent gust front preceded 15 minutes of very heavy rain and a few hailstones and a temperature drop from 9.8C to 7.5C.

Sunny again now with new cbs out to the west.

Posted

Some nice showers getting going around me, but they are all passing to my north and south with no more than a few spots and nothing coming this way on radar. Almost as predictable as clockwork really.

And anything that does head this way invariably dies, the only hope on the radar just did the same, unlike the showers going elsewhere.

Edited by Stormmad26

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

Popcorn cells breaking out ahead of the precip that affected Nottingham, heading towards the northern home counties and London

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms

First hail shower of the day!

Posted

Few cells firing up.

Me and Dell Trott are now positioned on the Humber, all ready. Got a large cell to the east of us that'll clip us and move just off shore, and a nice potent cell firing to the NW of us, which is heading for us.

Lovely cloud formations, got the weather station and satellite setup on the car roof, currently recording a temp of 10.3c with a dew of 7c.

Temperature was recording 15.4c with a dew of 9c 30 mins ago, so quite a drop.

Wind slight to moderate, bearing WNW.

Waiting on the boys from the North East to get down here, and we are going to do some live streams, will post links a little later.

Regards

Lewis

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

A few splashes of rain here, but the convection doesn't seem as spectacular as yesterday, as by this time there was a narrow line of torrential hail and rain in South Northumberland and Newastle. Having said that, these pop up showers might support the development of thundery showers later, whereas the rain yesterday died out, and the lack of sunshine meant there was a lack of convection later in the day in the NE.

Edited by Alza

Posted

Few cells firing up.

Me and Dell Trott are now positioned on the Humber, all ready. Got a large cell to the east of us that'll clip us and move just off shore, and a nice potent cell firing to the NW of us, which is heading for us.

Lovely cloud formations, got the weather station and satellite setup on the car roof, currently recording a temp of 10.3c with a dew of 7c.

Temperature was recording 15.4c with a dew of 9c 30 mins ago, so quite a drop.

Wind slight to moderate, bearing WNW.

Waiting on the boys from the North East to get down here, and we are going to do some live streams, will post links a little later.

Regards

Lewis

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

I'm willing to give today a go but with the luck Bristol has I'm not holding my breath.

Have hope. The number of times I've sat in Yatton and read reports of thunder in Bristol and nothing here, then last week the role reversed. Fingers crossed.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe storms and heavy snow

Stuff trying to go up here but i have a feeling that everything will be just to the East of me today

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

I'm willing to give today a go but with the luck Bristol has I'm not holding my breath.

Well the showers are moving more from NW than the W and i usually find that helps increase chances of Bristol area getting hit by the showers. Problem is they dont develop enough to be that stormy and the fact Wales is lacking CAPE/Li isnt inspiring me.

However showers recently popping up out of nowhere in Wales looking at the radar... Will have to wait and see if they keep building up.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: action weather

had a good 10 min shower at 11 15am ,small hail and gusty winds  .at the moment it looks like wales will NICK our lot . but hopefully something good for late afternoon .some cells now coming into west wales ,if you dont need them send them to bristol and somerset ,cheers legritter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

i can guarantee those showers over dumfries and galloway heading for me will die over the irish sea, they always do.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms

Pic of earlier mammatus

post-4523-0-66394800-1335007573_thumb.jp

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

cells getting closer, towers firing up all over. got an anvil forming aswell, here's some recent pics i just took.

post-12083-0-60214000-1335007429_thumb.j

post-12083-0-89753400-1335007483_thumb.j

post-12083-0-71415000-1335007534_thumb.j

more to come,

lewis

love the 1st picture

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Sferics detected about 10 miles to North of here....so frustrating! Good sign though.

Small shower about to hit here, not looking particularly interesting though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow

Just started hailing here...never seen so much hail as I have the last few days.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Sferics detected about 10 miles to North of here....so frustrating!

I'm 10 miles to your North Harry and it's pretty quite here !!