Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Uk Convective General Discussion & Forecasts - April 2012 part 3

Liam J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

I'll be leaving the storm sheilded Cumbria behind and heading over to North Northumberland tomorrow afternoon, so hopefully things will be a little bit more exciting over that way. Here's hoping anyway!

Posted

I'll be leaving the storm sheilded Cumbria behind and heading over to North Northumberland tomorrow afternoon, so hopefully things will be a little bit more exciting over that way. Here's hoping anyway!

I'll be around Newcastle and Northumbria tomorrow, so I hope its a little bit damp.

Posted

I'll be around Newcastle and Northumbria tomorrow, so I hope its a little bit damp.

Certainly more favoured over that way for some decent convective activity through tomorrow, compared to this far west anyway :)

Edited by Liam J

Posted

Hi guys,

Went chasing, met up with Chris Johnson and co they came down too Hull and ended up linking with me and Dell trott.

We went to the viewpoint on the docks/river hull near the P&O ferries.

Cameras at the ready, we was streaming live also, we almost gave up, and then I noticed intensification on the radar and spotted a change in the flow.

Before we knew it we had the biggest cell just on the south bank, gave some lightning, thunder, and absolutely lots of different cloud types, they was plenty of skud, hail shafts, everything!

We have lots of video footage and pictures, i'm sure dell will probably post his shots from his DSLR later on, but here's a few shots from me.

Was also a possible funnel cloud, will post them pics late as I need to verify them... Dell trott has them.

post-12083-0-35989300-1334951205_thumb.jpost-12083-0-66519900-1334951244_thumb.jpost-12083-0-23960900-1334951273_thumb.jpost-12083-0-29231200-1334951304_thumb.jpost-12083-0-94519300-1334951326_thumb.jpost-12083-0-89393300-1334951509_thumb.jpost-12083-0-07187400-1334951526_thumb.ppost-12083-0-71411300-1334951542_thumb.p

Lewis

Edited by UK Storm Chasers

Posted

Good days chasing then Lewis, awesome pics stunning even. Look forward to seeing the rest especially the possible funnel cloud. :)

Did you see the pic posted on the Netweather Facebook page? Impressive funnel cloud caught near Lincs today.

Edited by Liam J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and stormy.

Hi guys,

Went chasing, met up with Chris Johnson and co they came down too Hull and ended up linking with me and Dell trott.

Lewis

Funnel! almost mate (Was that Chris!). Was nice to see it build up from nothing over 3 hours whilst pondering our next move and the move was to stay exactly where we was, Yep cant getter better than that. On the money id say.

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Was great out and about today seeing boiling towering cumulus build up late morning from what were clear blue skies, though unfortunately no thunder overhead today, a pea-sized hail shower the best it got around 4.30pm.

Good to see the convective potential return again next week, by Weds anyway. The jet stream is suggested to be over S/SE England mid-week, as the upper low/trough is looking to be close to the SW, so greater vertical/speed shear and perhaps more favourable for organised storm structures and a severe weather threat. Long way off for specifics and it maybe that CAPE will mostly tend to be on the colder polar side of the jet where shear will be weak - like this week.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

At least you heard some thunder Mike!

Warminster has spent the last 4 hours with complete cloud cover, with a few drops of rain and no evening sunshine or sunset to enjoy, as a result of anvils and outflow from the thundery line passing approx 25 miles to the South where there has been getting on for an inch of rain in that time!

True. Suppose I should be grateful haha. Though, frankly, looking at the lightning map for today, I feel left out.

Let's see what tomorrow brings, and now potentially next week with a more SW direction which is always better than NW here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and stormy.

I think our luck was due to Chris J , he was set for a run out to today and got lucky : -good call-) this time;{ .. as the rest of day was going to be me laying flags (get rid off the grass) And also Lewis seeing at is "that's what it is " stay here its a coming............good set of lads to be with good crack in the end plussss i see's ya getting fat..did dave get fed :)....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

Been watching the radar for a while now and there is some very heavy rain staying around the same area just north and north west of Nottingham.

Its losing intensity a little now but there must be some high rainfall totals under that, it's been around for at least 2 hours.

No storms again here today, and there has been none all week. Just one heavy rain and hail shower earlier.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder - not necessarily at the same time!

Type in HU17 into the NW Extra radar loop and watch the showers just rotate over us. Weird: we must be at the centre of a small LP circulation.

No thunder today though: never really got there today in spite of much promise earlier.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

No thunderstorms yet at Cleadon (although the shower that I had this evening produced some sferics not far to the SW). I wouldn't be particularly bothered about it if I'd had some good convective skyscapes and sharp hail showers, but as often happens here the North Sea coastal influences have often made the weather relatively benign and uninteresting.

However the next two days look very promising here in the North East and this evening's downpour was hopefully a taste of things to come, it produced an impressive shelf cloud at one stage.

Posted

Storm forecast for the weekend, rinse and repeat tongue.png : http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=convective;sess=

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

No thunderstorms yet at Cleadon (although the shower that I had this evening produced some sferics not far to the SW). I wouldn't be particularly bothered about it if I'd had some good convective skyscapes and sharp hail showers, but as often happens here the North Sea coastal influences have often made the weather relatively benign and uninteresting.

However the next two days look very promising here in the North East and this evening's downpour was hopefully a taste of things to come, it produced an impressive shelf cloud at one stage.

Yes I am very envious of the wind convergence you will have over the next two days, that should really help things up there.

Wish I was home this weekend I would love to have done some long timelapses, the cloud movement should be really interesting.

Still chances here over the next few days but after the last few days of disappointment I won't be building my hopes up. Good luck up there though!

Been watching the radar for a while now and there is some very heavy rain staying around the same area just north and north west of Nottingham.

Its losing intensity a little now but there must be some high rainfall totals under that, it's been around for at least 2 hours.

No storms again here today, and there has been none all week. Just one heavy rain and hail shower earlier.

Going back to this area of rain I mentioned earlier, it intensified again in the same area, and still remains sitting in around the same place just north east of Nottingham.

Here is the radar showing accumulation for the last 12 hours, maybe 40-50mm, most of it in the last 4 hours.

post-3392-0-19115300-1334961928_thumb.pn

Showing no signs of stopping still.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Storm forecast for the weekend, rinse and repeat tongue.png : http://www.netweathe...onvective;sess=

There's an error there.....you've overlooked the inevitable dry zone around the West Midlands, NW England etc :p

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Nothing here again today, not one hail shower in the 2 weeks of convection potential.

Tomorrow is looking better, but then again I always say that..

Posted

Nothing here again today, not one hail shower in the 2 weeks of convection potential.

Give it chance it's only 30 mins past midnight lol.

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Tomorrow is looking better, but then again I always say that..

Hope you get better luck with the storms tomorrow, myself included. Had lot's of heavy persistant showers, but nothing electrical...

It is looking much better for tomorrow, fingers crossed good.gif

EDIT

Todayblum.gif

Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted

'The little LLC that could.' Been spinning away across Lincs for a good 4 hours under the rotational low's influence aided I would imagine by nocturnal cooling aswell as moisture enhancement from upper's going westerly across the same LLC.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

'The little LLC that could.' Been spinning away across Lincs for a good 4 hours under the rotational low's influence aided I would imagine by nocturnal cooling aswell as moisture enhancement from upper's going westerly across the same LLC.

Extremely well picked out by the NAE I must say. Noticed it on this morning's output