Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Uk Convective General Discussion & Forecasts - April 2012 Part 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Tomorrow Looking Good for SW, Central Southern and SE England along with East Anglia for Convergence Type Thunderstorms, might be worth a trip further South Tomorrow if a Proper "Line" of Convergence can get established and not all this Mush we have had over the last few days.

Will be on the look out tomorrow as there could be numerous CZ Tornado/Funnel Opps tomorrow!

'IF' a proper line of Convergence gets going? This is the south and east again, everything will fall bang on into place and produce the best storms of the week. Just like todays so called area did for the midlands sorry.gif

Can the weather gods share some luck please?

Thanks.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Been hammering it down most days recently but not any thunder activity.

Posted

Some Incredible showers passed over this afternoon, the latest still falling. But still no thunder or lightning in this showery few weeks. kind of a less dramatic version of June 2007 for me. (i.e. 5 funnel clouds and a tornado in 2 weeks)

post-4276-0-17587900-1335460941_thumb.jp

post-4276-0-15470900-1335460968_thumb.jp

Posted

lots of sferics now from the cell in the East near Goole, anyone near there?

Just south of Goole near Thorne at that time. Hell of a lot of bangs and flashes, as well as a couple of dodgy looking funnel type clouds to the west of me. Don't think they touched down though.

Posted

Omg ive just seen a funnel cloud that touched down next to the A1m bettween pontefract and doncaster!!!!!! Was wipping up moisture off the field. Sooo gutted i couldnt of pulled over!!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather.

Omg ive just seen a funnel cloud that touched down next to the A1m bettween pontefract and doncaster!!!!!! Was wipping up moisture off the field. Sooo gutted i couldnt of pulled over!!!!

Then isnt that a tornado?

Some heavy showers and dark clouds here today, but nothing in the way of thunder. :-(

Edited by mattyk1985

Posted

Some heavy showers and dark clouds here today, but nothing in the way of thunder. :-(

By the letter of the law, possibly so.

Posted

Unexpected thunderstorm passed through quickly at about 2.30 this afternoon. One very close discharge with booming thunder and another more distant discharge.

Hopefully tomorrow will be a much better day, although I doubt it as I'm not stuck in a classroom or at work.

Posted

It must of been with the rain being wipped up over the field. Was strong rotation above it all so must of been

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Oh not mini tornado's again, there's no such thing.

Posted

Goodness I despise the term mini tornado, a tornado is a tornado!!

And millions witnessed the BBC lunchtime news stating the term several times and Laura Tobin made mention of a tornado off the coast of Wales which

in fact would be a waterspout!

well after what i thought would be a promising day and what happens naff all, just some light showers, the real big stuff going to my east and to my west with me stuck in the middle.

oh well may be tomorrow.

fromey

I think we'll be in with a much better chance tomorrow, whether the convergence line sets up to our North before edging South is yet to be seen. It could

get going right overhead.

As for today, very often with brisk SW flows we end up with a lighter line of showers missing to our S/SE and a heavy almost persistent line to the W/NW

over the Bristol Channel region.

Posted

Grrrrrrrrr bad.gif Dont get me started on the **** Tornado Thing! No such thing never will be, they all do damage etc etc zzzzzzzz

Anyhow tomorrow should be the cleanest day of the week for convection and taking pictures, none of this mush and battling of showers expected so hopefully a clean line of TCU, And should be some great pictures wether you are just North of South of the expected Line which at the moment should be somewhere from the SW To East Anglia, obviously watch the surface obs etc tomorrow for where this line should set up.

Posted

Hi guys,

I managed to get out chasing, picked up dell trott, and we went to our favorite observation point, on King George docks where the P&O ferries dock/port to Amsterdam.

They was a line of cells that had formed SSW of the Humber across Lincolnshire, SFERICS was detected on the Netweather lightning detector a lot in fact. As it hit the humber electrical activity went really was not for great viewing once the torrential rain came, they was thunder, and I may have seen 2 or 3 flashes but IC. When the rain did start visibility and conditions quickly become poor.

Before hand though the structure of the clouds was amazing, got some fantastic pictures, and below is some of them, the bad thing about today is my battery went on my car, so me and del ended up flagging someone down to jump us off in the rain!

Below are some of my pictures from today.

post-12083-0-45204800-1335471403_thumb.jpost-12083-0-91291400-1335471413_thumb.jpost-12083-0-45036100-1335471426_thumb.j

post-12083-0-63556500-1335471436_thumb.jpost-12083-0-60440600-1335471451_thumb.j

And below is some panoramic shots, the second one is my favorite.

post-12083-0-58424800-1335471484_thumb.j

post-12083-0-15469700-1335471499_thumb.j

It's looking good for central southern areas tomorrow, the SW and the SE of England NE into East Anglia, as Paul Sherman said above, better conditions to get some lovely pictures of towers tomorrow.

Regards,

Lewis

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

Anyone got an in depth idea about what's going to happen tomorrow convection wise? Thanks.

Edited by Eskimo

Posted

rain smile.png Wind smile.png and... clouds tease.gif with a chance of "mini" tornadoes..COOL 0.o

Ever so technical, thanks blum.gif

Posted

Hi Guys,

I've just been contacted by Clare Worden from the BBC.

She wants to know if anyone has chased the Rugby tornado yesterday..... If you did, get in touch with me stuff4hull@hotmail.co.uk and i'll put you in touch with her "can't share her info on here".

She also want's to know how we chase the tornados aswell ;)

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Storm & Convective Forecast - Issued 26/04/2012 22:30

Valid: 27/04/2012 06:00 - 28/04/2011 06:00

Headline: ... THERE IS A RISK OF THUNDERSTORMS FORECAST...

post-1052-0-35910500-1335478026_thumb.jp

Synopsis

Large upper trough and surface low pressure areas extend SW over northern and western Europe on Friday, with an occluded front lying from The Wash to Severn Estuary at 12z and a surface convergence zone lying from Devon to the Home Counties.

... S ENGLAND and E ANGLIA ...

Returning polar maritime airmass will again become unstable during Friday, though storms will be mostly confined to southern parts of England to the south of occluded front lying between The Severn Estuary and The Wash - where moisture will be greatest and thus lapse rates steepest with diurnal heating. Storm development by late morning and through the afternoon will, like today, be aided by ascent along a wind convergence zone, indicated by GFS to lie between SW England and East Anglia. Storms will likely be slow-moving, so bringing a risk of localised flooding ... also occasional hail is possible as is the potential for funnel clouds and even a brief weak tornado along the convergence zone. Storms should fade after sunset with the onset of nocturnal cooling.

Posted

Sounds Good! smile.png