Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Uk Convective General Discussion & Forecasts - April 2012 Part 4

Posted

No forecasts from the usual sites this morning and all the action is across in the continent it seems with the area closest to us out in the Channel or down in the Bay of Biscay:

21OWS_ATLANTIC-EUROPE_FITL_THUNDERSTORM-STANDARD_12042812.GIF

21OWS_AFWA-GEPS-PRODUCTS_MODEL-DATA_ENSEMBLE_PROB-OF-LTG-STRIKE_ENSEMBLE_12_00Z.png

Even that doesn't seem convective enough to bring anything of note:

12_20.gif

hir_cape_eur18.png

hir_lfc_eur18.png

Looks like I am in for an enormous amount of rain later (yet again!!)

hir_prec_eur18.png

Anyone fancy a day trip to France to go storm chasing???!!!

hir_stp_eur18.png

Might be worth watching the Paris webcams later (if they are working!):

http://www.paris-live.com/

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Yes, air should moisten from the south on Monday and colder 500mb temps expand north from the upper trough over Biscay - so lapse rates are indicated by GFS to steepen sufficiently by the afternoon to allow enough CAPE for scattered t-storms to develop over southern England. Wind shear looks rather weak, but potential surface wind convergence may help organise cells which will be slow-moving.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, cold winters.. How it should be!

Cool,biggrin.png tell us more, was it a good one? was it brief or quite long? any pics? smile.png glad you got one anyway.good.gif

It was a belter! About half an hour long! I was simply looking on the radar to see if there would be anything overnight and there was a little bit of drizzle.. I have no idea what made me stay up to see what happens but anyway, it grew and grew right over the house :D You could just about make out the structure of the cell from the streetlights illuminating it! :) So it passed over inland about 2 miles and went ballistic! Good sized hail and LOTS of lightning. Mainly -IC and -CG. What a show. Would love someone to be able to explain what happened last night? Out of nowhere came that fantastic storm but I don't understand.. the sea and air temperature are too similar this time of year right? I couldn't get over the air pressure aswell. 1021mb? nea.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

It was a belter! About half an hour long! I was simply looking on the radar to see if there would be anything overnight and there was a little bit of drizzle.. I have no idea what made me stay up to see what happens but anyway, it grew and grew right over the house biggrin.png You could just about make out the structure of the cell from the streetlights illuminating it! smile.png So it passed over inland about 2 miles and went ballistic! Good sized hail and LOTS of lightning. Mainly -IC and -CG. What a show. Would love someone to be able to explain what happened last night? Out of nowhere came that fantastic storm but I don't understand.. the sea and air temperature are too similar this time of year right? I couldn't get over the air pressure aswell. 1021mb? nea.gif

How odd, nothing showing up on the ATD detectors as well. They usually get some of the lightning at least???

Posted

How odd, nothing showing up on the ATD detectors as well. They usually get some of the lightning at least???

That's strange. Hmm..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

That's strange. Hmm..

If you go on http://www.meteox.com/hist.aspx?URL

you'll see your storm. Just go to the correct date and time. Between 2-3am you can see it just pop out of nowhere.

Edited by Eskimo

Posted

If you go on http://www.meteox.com/hist.aspx?URL

you'll see your storm. Just go to the correct date and time. Between 2-3am you can see it just pop out of nowhere.

It was very strange.. you can see here. Out of nowhere.. They usually form over the mainland and blow over here on a breeze.

Also, look around Dublin once the storm has left here. Another storm breaks out. Them 2 frontal system looking things on the radar collide right in line with here so it looks like just extreme instability that caused this?

http://www.weatheron...P=0&ROAD=0

Edited by Convective

Posted

Is rather odd that no strikes were picked up on ATD net. It's not totally infallible in detecting strikes, but you would've thought at least one would have been picked up.

Hmmmmm.

wink.png

I know. I was checking last night during the storm and then 1/2 an hour after it to see if there was anything but no, nothing.

Posted

I also noticed that the ATD didn't pick up any strikes over the IOM last night, but the radar did show a potent-ish looking little cell develop.

I have also known thunder once or twice that wasn't really detected by the ATD though. One example is that if the Met Offices actual and anomaly maps of past months use the ATD for lightning strikes, it didn't show many in October 2008 from this event: http://www.metoffice...esting/oct2008/ as you can see here (select lightning strikes, October 2008 and Actual) Whereas in reality there was lots of lightning and thunder lasting upwards of 2 hours - I should know as I was staying at a friends directly under it with tonnes of hail and very close lightning - just a shame he's surrounded by trees so I didn't get a view)

I also notice with their lightning and days of thunder maps in many months you can get clusters of many lightning strikes over areas that apparently had 0 days of thunder that month which is a bit odd and makes their 'days of thunder' maps look a bit unreliable.

Edited by Stormmad26

Posted

I also noticed that the ATD didn't pick up any strikes over the IOM last night, but the radar did show a potent-ish looking little cell develop.

I have also known thunder once or twice that wasn't really detected by the ATD though. One example is that if the Met Offices actual and anomaly maps of past months use the ATD for lightning strikes, it didn't show many in October 2008 from this event: http://www.metoffice...esting/oct2008/ as you can see here (select lightning strikes, October 2008 and Actual) Whereas in reality there was lots of lightning and thunder lasting upwards of 2 hours - I should know as I was staying at a friends directly under it with tonnes of hail and very close lightning - just a shame he's surrounded by trees so I didn't get a view)

I also notice with their lightning and days of thunder maps in many months you can get clusters of many lightning strikes over areas that apparently had 0 days of thunder that month which is a bit odd and makes their 'days of thunder' maps look a bit unreliable.

Oh well, now I wish I had got some photos! There was a great bolt of lightning right across the sky, under the cell! Does anyone have a more valid explanation for what happened besides my little theory?

''Also, look around Dublin once the storm has left here. Another storm breaks out. Them 2 frontal system looking things on the radar collide right in line with here so it looks like just extreme instability that caused this?''

Posted

I've just checked my nexstorm log from last night - storms were detected to the southwest of Landsend - which were also detected by the ATD network. However nothing shows up over the IOM.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

Looking forward to tomorrow:

I think theres a chance of some storms after the main rain event..

Awesome looking convergence line that slowly moves north.

ukprec.png

ukwind.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

They were saying on the radio yesterday this may end up being the rainiest April for 250 years.

Posted

They were saying on the radio yesterday this may end up being the rainiest April for 250 years.

And yet theres drought everywhere and hose pipe bans for the south / south east...

Just goes to show how bad our infrastructure is from years of government neglect and zero investment from the companies.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Come on Lynx, we know lack of support is partly to blame but one wet month is not enough to rid England of drought. Remember what happened after 1976 drought? Looking at Heathrow records there was 5 months of above average rainfall September onwards.

Edited by Aaron

Posted

Come on Lynx, we know lack of support is partly to blame but one wet month is not enough to rid England of drought. Remember what happened after 1976 drought? Looking at Heathrow records there was 5 months of above average rainfall September onwards.

Your probably right :) But its a cheap opportunity to slam the gov and the poor state of the UK :)

Posted

Just got some data regarding last nights storm 'The April Whisperer' :p

- Hail up to 11mm

- 3.4" of hail recoded on ground under bulk of storm

- 12 IC or CG lightning bolts

- Power cuts that are still being fixed now

Overall pretty damn good for the end of April! :D

Posted

Ok, that was pretty funny. Who deleted my post - the one which had the purpose of trying to get members to stay on-topic?

It's fair enough if the other aformentioned posts are moved to the relevant part of the forum. Otherwise it's personal.

tease.gif

In all honesty im happy for the posts to be deleted / moved.

However, I normally dont stray from topic and due to the tumble weed in here at the moment im fairly certain its not a major issue that warrants an investigation, separate paperwork, interviews and a writeup.

And while they were "off topic" they did spawn from a pretty "on topic" post smile.png

/ This post isnt designed to rant or rave. Just an observation of what seems to be a small mountain from an even smaller mole hill smile.png

Just got some data regarding last nights storm 'The April Whisperer' blum.gif

- Hail up to 11mm

Overall pretty damn good for the end of April! biggrin.png

Sounds pretty damn awesome!

Edited by Lynxus

Posted

tease.gif

In all honesty im happy for the posts to be deleted / moved.

However, I normally dont stray from topic and due to the tumble weed in here at the moment im fairly certain its not a major issue that warrants an investigation, separate paperwork, interviews and a writeup.

And while they were "off topic" they did spawn from a pretty "on topic" post smile.png

/ This post isnt designed to rant or rave. Just an observation of what seems to be a small mountain from an even smaller mole hill smile.png

Sounds pretty damn awesome!

Indeed it was. More problems are being reported now. 2 houses had a direct hit from lightning however fortunately no one was injured. Also a few weeks of extensive work will be needed on power lines and underground cables that have been damaged. Pretty nasty to be honest unsure.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Well just goes to show, when storms happen in NW england they come out of the blue and when their not forecast, but when are forecast, they never happen! That's why it's so frustrating living here. On the other hand, when we do get storms here, they're usually pritty dam good as Convective has found out.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: action weather

where i live in somerset ,we had a very intense downpour last night which only lasted about 2 min ,but nothing realy on radar , it must have been extremely local ,i live on edge of mendips at bottom of hill ,thought i would mention it as what happened up north /west last night and isle of man realy interested me .wonder what mother nature is winding up for us next .its certainly put mr ,azores in mothballs for now ,regards gang , we;re being attacked from the channel RADAR AT THE READY ,advance attackers now crossing southern england ,with big army behind .cheers all .

Posted

Well just goes to show, when storms happen in NW england they come out of the blue and when their not forecast, but when are forecast, they never happen! That's why it's so frustrating living here. On the other hand, when we do get storms here, they're usually pritty dam good as Convective has found out.

The one in St Helens and Wigan on Thursaday seem to just develop in situ, there was not that much electric activity but one CG bolt was very close and explosive sounding which tripped the lights off for a few seconds, at least we are on the right side of the year now for storms,ie going into the summer monthsgood.gif

Edited by IanR

Posted

Just got some data regarding last nights storm 'The April Whisperer' blum.gif

- Hail up to 11mm

Overall pretty damn good for the end of April! biggrin.png

Happy you got a storm fixlaugh.png

Posted

Indeed it was. More problems are being reported now. 2 houses had a direct hit from lightning however fortunately no one was injured. Also a few weeks of extensive work will be needed on power lines and underground cables that have been damaged. Pretty nasty to be honest unsure.png

This is the thing with April. The showers really are unpredictable and we have been treated/punished to some very good cloudscapes, pictures, and storms.

We have been lucky to get some lovely setups for potentially awesome storms. Moreso this year than the last few.. Great stuff.

It is a terrible shame when someones house / property gets damaged and just goes to help remind us just how powerful nature truly is. even if its awesome at the same time.

Tomorrow is going to be very interesting, While one member said no convection tomorrow I think there will be some VERY heavy pulses with thunder. The convergence line is just too damn strong with some huge temperature gradients involved.

Minimal cape. But thats not the be-all and end-all.

People may not always agree on here ( Thats why its a discussion board ) and when it comes to weather, there really isnt ever a true "right or wrong" prediction.

I would however suggest people tie down loose things in the garden tonight and just check their drains are not "blocked" with leaves etc..

Posted

This is the thing with April. The showers really are unpredictable and we have been treated/punished to some very good cloudscapes, pictures, and storms.

We have been lucky to get some lovely setups for potentially awesome storms. Moreso this year than the last few.. Great stuff.

It is a terrible shame when someones house / property gets damaged and just goes to help remind us just how powerful nature truly is. even if its awesome at the same time.

Tomorrow is going to be very interesting, While one member said no convection tomorrow I think there will be some VERY heavy pulses with thunder. The convergence line is just too damn strong with some huge temperature gradients involved.

Minimal cape. But thats not the be-all and end-all.

People may not always agree on here ( Thats why its a discussion board ) and when it comes to weather, there really isnt ever a true "right or wrong" prediction.

I would however suggest people tie down loose things in the garden tonight and just check their drains are not "blocked" with leaves etc..

It would be nice to see something else! I have just found out that my friend who lives in the center of the island got a surprise last night when his house got a direct hit. The internet is down for at least 2 weeks now and there is some structural damage to the property plus a trip to M&S for some new underwear ;) .. Really incredible for a storm that started about 2 miles off the island and lived for no more than 25 minutes..