Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Uk Convective General Discussion & Forecasts - April 2012 Part 4

Posted

Just had a lovely deluge here in Potters Bar.

Started just before my lunch hour, and finished just as I returned to the office. Think I may go and have a game of pooh-sticks in the high street.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Skies brightening again here and quite a light shower of large raindrops. Surprisingly light precipitation for what's being shown on the radar.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snow, thunderstorms

Skies brightening again here and quite a light shower of large raindrops. Surprisingly light precipitation for what's being shown on the radar.

looking at the echo returns off of the radar i thought you would of needed a boat by now. lol

fromey

Posted

Not sure how many others like taking note of the smaller things that suggest the situation is changing?

Have spent 10 minutes outside watching the clouds swirling as they move from S-N and join/bank together into a large black

mass which is sitting to the W/NW of my location, they don't seem to be getting any further N which suggests the wind not too

far away is pushing against the wind here - of course that's the convergence line :).

Also, the last 5mins have seen a few fairly strong gusts of wind and it's surprisingly warm feeling at 13.6c - Mike, what's the temp

at Yatton?

Posted

Well just had a short lived (10 minute) downpour of very heavy rain from a relatively bright sky.

The temperature before the shower arrived was 13.2C, then it went down to 10.7C when the rain was pelting down, and it's now rising again in brightening skies to currently 11.5C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Nothing but heavy rain here at the moment, hopefully something more will come of it in the next few ours.

Posted

There is a horseshoe shape of intense downpours arcing from Glastonbury-Bath and back round towards Weston Super Mare and a smaller

horseshoe shape from Reading-Abingdon and back towards Hungerford.

For myself in Warminster I'm watching the tip of the Somerset based horseshoe but am sure it's now going to continue filtering NE with towns

like Bradford On avon and Trowbridge getting downpours.

If I was still living in Westbury I'd have a wonderful panoramic view of the clouds to the Bath region, however where I am now is in something of a dip and my best view is directly S/SW/W but even that is restricted.

It almost seems that at the moment Salisbury Plain is having an effect on the convergence line with it not moving any further towards the high ground but rather running along the edge of it from Westbury-Devizes.

Edited by Andy Bown

Posted

Looks like some hefty stuff heading for Frome right now and more deep radar returns further to the SW. After a bright spell here the sky is jet black again to the south. I'm off into Bristol but will be reporting anything a bit later.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms

Looks pretty wet between Oxford and Northampton - nothing of note here, just the occasional burst of moderate rain from dull skies

Posted
  • Location: Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, England. 108.7m ASL
  • Location: Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, England. 108.7m ASL

Looks pretty wet between Oxford and Northampton - nothing of note here, just the occasional burst of moderate rain from dull skies

Aye, heavy persistent rain falling in MK. Dull wet & generally horrible

Posted

Nothing to report here, just a bit of moderate rain between brighter interludes so far.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Warm summer evenings

Fairly hefty hail shower just rattled through here, now back to rain

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/squalls/hoar-frost/mist

Had a storm eight miles to the west, heard thunder from 5.15-5.45pm ,crazy scud and cloud directions, just rain atm, that is 4 thunder days in April.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/Clear and Frosty/Snow Showers

It's gone extremely dark here now,had a heavy downpour around 5.30 but no thunder.Looking much more promising now though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, cold winters.. How it should be!

Well, not had a single hail shower or heavy rain shower in all this time hehe! Anyway, the foreseeable future looks extremely stable for storms up this end of the country sad.png This is the last PROPER storm we had here.. May 7th 2011.. it was a good'n.. that summery smell of humidity and damp heated ground.. sad.png Can't wait to see what this year fires at us! Here you go smile.png PS - 1:09 Is the best!! :D

Edited by Convective

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

It's gone extremely dark here now,had a heavy downpour around 5.30 but no thunder.Looking much more promising now though.

If you're in Derbyshire then thunderstorms are highly unlikely I'm afraid....You're stuck under an old dying occluded front (as am I) which is dishing out generally light rain & drizzle with the odd heavier burst pepped up by the Peaks...The air mass in the Midlands is quite stable unfortunately

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

Very weird seeing low cloud going south and higher cloud going North East.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

Check the link below to see the cloud from the front in France crash against the showers across england.

http://www.sat24.com/de/eu

Posted

Having been sat a few miles to the SE of the convergence line throughout the day I was very surprised to look out at sunset to see

CBs to the East illuminated by the setting sun.

Some sharp and heavy showers developed just a mile to the N and E of my location and have drifted NNE over the last few hours

and lighter showers are still developing over Salisbury Plain.

Quite a surprise after the static nature of developments earlier in the day.

Posted

This is a nice link for looking at airflow in different levels above us - just change flight level at the top right of the map.

. http://www.vigilance-meteo.fr/en/weather/weather-for-professionals/aviation-weather/europe.html#profi-fl050

The other animations of forecast weather are good too and all options are available for other parts of the world.

Posted

A good homegrown shower popping up now over the bay!

Posted

HAIL! biggrin.png On and off, pea sized and moderately heavy..! biggrin.png

THUNDER AND LIGHTNING! WOOHOO! Finally!! biggrin.png About 10 IC and CG strikes altogether! biggrin.png Also an amazing fork lightning bolt!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

THUNDER AND LIGHTNING! WOOHOO! Finally!! biggrin.png About 10 IC and CG strikes altogether! biggrin.png Also an amazing fork lightning bolt!

Cool,biggrin.png tell us more, was it a good one? was it brief or quite long? any pics? smile.png glad you got one anyway.good.gif