Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Summer 2012

Posted

I'm starting to worry. This weekend has "SE vs the rest" written all over it.

Someone please tell me I'm wrong.

So there we have it - a disgusting, nightmarish July 2010-style scenario on the cards.

I guess it was too much to expect a horrible stagnant front not to ruin proceedings. Vomit-inducing stuff. bad.gif

• Replies 562
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

So there we have it - a disgusting, nightmarish July 2010-style scenario on the cards.

I guess it was too much to expect a horrible stagnant front not to ruin proceedings. Vomit-inducing stuff. bad.gif

Yep, the VERY frustrating NW/SE split in full force today sad.png

27C & sunny in the SE.

21.4C after a high of 23.2C earlier, with some outbreaks of rain here.

Edited by Backtrack

the tedium of the weather where the 'average' is mostly cloudy but dry with temperatures 18C to 23C

Sounds like most of this summer, tedious with large amounts of cloud cover like today, not much temperature ranges between day and night.

Most of your comments have been moaning also so i dont think you disagree that much apart from the last few weeks.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

If August does not produce a temperature above 28C, then in terms if absolute maximums, this summer will be the coolest I have ever recorded and one of the coolest in the past 20 years I'd have thought.. even the summer of 2007 had temperatures above 28C.

Likewise if September doesn't produce a temperature above 28C, it will be one of the coolest years in terms of absolute maximums.

Posted

A slither of warmer temperatures for Yorkshire on Saturday. Could improve with temperatures maybe a degree or two higher (26?)

post-8968-0-84716500-1345222044_thumb.gi

South East looking hot, although I would love to be under the 40.c over France.

Edited by Cheese Rice

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Feb1991blizzard's question, "would you take a cold winter in return for a hot summer?" is interesting as while I generally regard that combination to be the best of both worlds, there may be exceptions in some of the most extreme cases. The general rule of thumb for prolonged snowy weather is that I enjoy it up until the point when repeated freeze-thaw cycles turn the snow into solid ice, and after that my enthusiasm drops markedly (not in the sense of getting fed up with cold/snow, but rather wanting a temporary thaw to remove the ice). In February 1946/47 a more significant problem would have been the acute shortage of sunshine and severe flooding around mid-March. I think on balance I would probably have enjoyed 1962/63 overall, with my enjoyment of the first half more than offsetting the second half dragging on a bit.

I can't think of any hot summers from the past that I would consider unwelcome, though I must say that I'd probably rank 1976 below the likes of 1975, 1989, 1990, 1994, 1995, 1996 and 2006 due to relative lack of variety and notable weather events in the second half of the 1976 summer.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

A slither of warmer temperatures for Yorkshire on Saturday. Could improve with temperatures maybe a degree or two higher (26?)

post-8968-0-84716500-1345222044_thumb.gi

South East looking hot, although I would love to be under the 40.c over France.

Way too hot for me, by about 15-20C! Each to their own I suppose. Do you happen to know what the French max temperature record is?

Posted

At the end of July it did look like we could be about to record our coldest summer since 1987, alas the past 3 weeks has put paid to that, and indeed it now looks like summer 2012 will end up warmer than 1987, 1988, 1993 and 2011 but still just a tad below average - could someone verify the stats...

Despite some rather decent weather in the past 4 weeks at times, summer 2012 will go down as another rainfest and overall preety cloudy. Could someone post the rainfall, sunshine and temp stats for the summer so far and possible projected end results. I suspect the rainfall totals are well above average and sunshine totals below average with temps very near average?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

After the worst first half of summer possibly ever, the second half has turned out very respectable. I would say that for my location you would have to go back to 2006 for a better prolonged spell of dryish weather, plenty of sunshine and warm temperatures. Actually it possibly ties with June-July 2010, but still better than anything 2007,2008,2009 and 2011 could offer.

I was ready to admit defeat back in early July but Summer came good just in time to rescue something appreciable. Whats more significant in my opinion is that the second half of summer has proved that we can still get HP over the UK during summer and we can get a favourable tilt of the jet stream to bring above average warmth over the UK. Hopefully next summer we dont have to wait till mid July for anything decent.

Edited by Milhouse

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I don't know!

We've seen more thundery activity than the past two-years...It's been cold, it's been hot, it's been dry and it's been wet. What more can one ask of a UK summer?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

I don't know!

We've seen more thundery activity than the past two-years...It's been cold, it's been hot, it's been dry and it's been wet. What more can one ask of a UK summer?

Less of the cold and wet would be a start. But then again, i would have to go back a month for the last time it felt properly cool.

Posted

I am not too unhappy with summer 2012. In this area even the month of June very wet that it was for sure (although nowhere near as wet as 2007) had spells of several days with some sunshine and both mean and max temps well above the average for June. Similarly in July and so far August is well above average temperature, mean, min and max.

so I have no real complaints.

Posted

A nice country wide heatwave could still happen, we still have plenty of time. You only have to go back to last year when we had that record breaking autumn heatwave from September 25 through until October 02. It was a glorious spell here in Blackpool and it felt quite similar to the May 2012 heatwave.

Keep the faith, heat lovers!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

A nice country wide heatwave could still happen, we still have plenty of time. You only have to go back to last year when we had that record breaking autumn heatwave from September 25 through until October 02. It was a glorious spell here in Blackpool and it felt quite similar to the May 2012 heatwave.

Keep the faith, heat lovers!

Yes they can indeed although we are rapidly moving towards the time when they must fall at weekends to be of much use to those of us working Mon-Fri as the evenings are getting ever shorter. So sooner the better!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Summer (if you could call it that) 2012 has been a write off up here, not really much to say about it without sounding like a miserable bugger, with good reason though! blum.gif

The best period of weather occurred during May, as has been mentioned above. St Bees Head broke an all time May temp record on the 25th.

Edited by Liam J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 22-38C in summer with storms, cold in winter with some snow/or 15-25C

In the south of the Netherlands the temperature can reach today 38c. Close to the alltime record of 38.6c, reached in 1944.

Way too hot for me, by about 15-20C! Each to their own I suppose. Do you happen to know what the French max temperature record is?

44.1C, In the South near Nimes/Avignon area, during the 2003 heatwave, nothing wrong with having different prefrences either, I may like highs in summer in the 30s or even 40s sometimes but glad there are some who don't as it shows various different interests that people have in weather.smile.png

Posted

I am not too unhappy with summer 2012. In this area even the month of June very wet that it was for sure (although nowhere near as wet as 2007) had spells of several days with some sunshine and both mean and max temps well above the average for June. Similarly in July and so far August is well above average temperature, mean, min and max.

so I have no real complaints.

Its suprising to hear you say that John, which averages are you comparing too? The MetOffice charts have your area at least 0.5C below all the mean max averages (61-90 & 71-00 in June and 61-90 & 81-00 in July).

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/anomacts/2012/6/2012_6_MaxTemp_Anomaly_1961-1990.gif

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/anomacts/2012/6/2012_6_MaxTemp_Anomaly_1971-2000.gif

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/anomacts/2012/7/2012_7_MaxTemp_Anomaly_1961-1990.gif

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/anomacts/2012/7/2012_7_MaxTemp_Anomaly_1981-2010.gif

June was 0.5C below the 1981-2010 mean here and July 1.0C below average. August though so far is very warm with a mean of 18.0C. The summer as a whole is exactly average at present, making it the 4th coolest since 1993.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

For me, I found June and the first 20 days of July pretty poor (not just the lack of sunshine and abundance of frontal rain, but also the large number of days with very little weather bar cloud and the odd bit of light rain or drizzle). However, I've had very few complaints about the weather since around 21 July. Perhaps not quite enough to make up for what went before, but enough to prevent Summer 2012 from being a write-off- I'd at least rank it above 2008 now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: MCC/MCS Thunderstorms

For me, I found June and the first 20 days of July pretty poor (not just the lack of sunshine and abundance of frontal rain, but also the large number of days with very little weather bar cloud and the odd bit of light rain or drizzle). However, I've had very few complaints about the weather since around 21 July. Perhaps not quite enough to make up for what went before, but enough to prevent Summer 2012 from being a write-off- I'd at least rank it above 2008 now.

I'd say Summer hasn't been much of a write off, but most certainly August has been absolutely bonkers good this year. Let's look on the brightside we have got ourselves decent weather in August, much of us even I thought was nigh on impossible.

Posted

August has been decent here, but these past few days have been a total letdown (heatwave fail). It would certainly be running in the "very good" category if the heat didn't get shunted away, but as it is a "decent" August can't compensate for an utterly dreadful June and July.

An "absolutely bonkers good" August would be something like 1995.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Tenerife weather

Absolutely useless summer, June and July were awful and August although warm hasn't had a long sunny spell here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

This summer has been A-okay with me, bar the lack of any thunderstorms.