Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Fed Up With Overcast, Rain And Cold?

Posted

You don't make a very good case for cycling. Are you forced to travel in this manner?

I once bought a pushbike for the sole purpose of getting to work and back, and on the very first day I caught the left pedal on the kerb whilst rounding a corner. Damn thing chucked me off and buckled the back wheel. Sold it soon after. I'd rather walk - preferably in the rain.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

I took a walk in the rain recently and it was not too bad.. but I detest getting my clothes wet.

Like beens mentioned in some of the posts.. the lack of settled warm weather for more than 2 days(yes yes late May is an exception) Is dissapointing and its been like this for the last few summers..Sure theres been a couple of Junes thrown in thats been nice.. July and August for the last 6 summers have been dire to say the least...

Why oh Why can't we just rely on the weather to be nice for a settled amount of time..And please dont mention the drought sorry.gif

Posted

Groundhog day continues with yet another day of utterly depressing cool, grey, wet filth:

post-11542-0-18166500-1340542429_thumb.j

Incredulous given how godawful the first half of June was that the second half has been even worse. Just one dry day in ten now and the past 4 days have been repugnant. Had almost a months worth of rain since Thursday and endless grey skies.

Unreal how day after day you wake up to dismal grey overcast, check the satellite and see that it's just everywhere with no hope of clearancewallbash.gif

It's a toss-up between this month and June 2007 as to which has been the most unrelentingly awful month I've experienced. No others come closebad.gif

Posted

Groundhog day continues with yet another day of utterly depressing cool, grey, wet filth:

Incredulous given how godawful the first half of June was that the second half has been even worse. Just one dry day in ten now and the past 4 days have been repugnant. Had almost a months worth of rain since Thursday and endless grey skies.

Unreal how day after day you wake up to dismal grey overcast, check the satellite and see that it's just everywhere with no hope of clearancewallbash.gif

It's a toss-up between this month and June 2007 as to which has been the most unrelentingly awful month I've experienced. No others come closebad.gif

its been pretty bad down here this spring/summer, but i feel sorry for you folk up in scotland you had a mild winter, and it was more milder at times last december than it has been this month, even here we have had a few days of 10-13c this month which was colder than xmas day last year

Edited by Snowy Easterly

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

I am pleased to announce that, for my location at least, we have left behind those days of unrelenting cold and overcast conditions. The first half of the month fitted that description perfectly. So far the second half is an improvement with higher temperatures and frequent sunny spells on most days. Still had the odd washout day though but its been much closer to average June weather.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Blimey Richard, you'll be running out of adjectives if this weather continues.

I can empathise to some extent, it's how I'd be feeling if we had a re-run of 1976 or 1995.

Edited by Terminal Moraine

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

You don't make a very good case for cycling. Are you forced to travel in this manner?

It's the fastest route to work - and of course free and keeps me exercising. Most of the time it is fine - the route is mostly side roads/cycle track with some more major roads to cross/join for a short time.

Even light rain at speed on a bike quickly soaks you and of course snow/ice is very tricky to deal with (black ice has caused me a nasty slip before). Traffic is the natural enemy of the bike and on my route it is far far busier in dark or poor weather with the evening tending to be the busiest.

I pass through an area containing 90% or more student population. This means from now till late Sept the area is practically deserted but come October and especially November is a extreme change to really busy and dark all at once making it feel much less safe. It's one of the main reasons I hate the switch to GMT as the sudden plunge into darkness of the evening rush hour at already the busiest time of year makes it feel doubly riskier.

Posted

The good old days, even the North West got plenty of storms, Notice how Bill Gyles says tommorrow will be much fresher, although the temps are still around 24c , we would kill for those 'much fresher temps ' thesedays laugh.png

Posted

Interesting you should mention 1995 Ian, I've just looked at the archives and the charts for the date in question don't look too dissimilar to the ones for the week ahead. Pressure was high over Greenland then- I wonder if people were despairing a bit about the prospects for the rest of the summer around that time??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

After a brief lapse, Stroemfjord in Greenland is back above 20C today, and the forecast is looking good for the next few days

post-6901-0-38410600-1340562580_thumb.pn

Sun holiday in Greenland anyone?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: ALL WEATHER, NOT THE PETTY POLITICS OF MODS IN THIS SITE

If I can get a quote I think I am going to start selling rainfall in July for one month forward.

But dont expect that to mean that I think glorious summer is on the way!

we just don't get weather.. where the days starts off at 8am with really thin high cloud and it burns off by 9:30 to leave a mostly sunny and warm day...

All we get now is wind and threatening clouds that stick around from 10 am till 5pm then the sun trys and makes it way through..

Posted

for god sakes tomorrow will be my most hated weather, a potential nice warm day will be spoiled by an annoying legacy of cloud from a weak front, and temps might only get up to 17c instead of 21c, now i see friday and saturday we have our normal windy low showing up again

Posted

This weather is really starting to grate me now, makes working outdoors harder than it should be. Really tempted to emigrate to the Atacama desert!

On a positive note the sun came out for 2 minutes today.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the stormier the better...

post-7254-0-84298200-1340871244_thumb.jpwhilst the rest of the country enjoys a good storm or 20....

we get............zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Posted

1st of July and yes the central heating goes on just like so many times in June,I wake up to a cold grey drizzly scene YET AGAIN, it feels wintery.

I dont care what statistics anyone throws up, this IS the worst summer of my 40 years of memory the last few have been getting worse, culminating in this vileness we have to endure. god help us next year, but can it actually get any worse?surely not, but it can be just the same, which it probably will

I am considering emigrating, but realistically its out of the question ATM , the UK weather depresses me now

Posted

New month same old rubbish. Grey, cool and drizzly. Just 13.5C and falling. Today is the 16th day out of 17 to record rainmad.gif

Even better days like yesterday - one of only three with above average maxima so far in this non-summer - get spoiled by showersnonono.gif

Next week looks awful as well. No improvement in sight and significant improvement is required if 2011 and 2012 are not to go down as the worst pair of successive summers on record. It truly is astonishing. Just 2 summers of unrelentingly abysmal weather:

No of weeks with below average maxima: 2011 - 12/13, 2012 - 4/4

No of weeks with below average sunshine: 2011 - 9/13, 2012 - 4/4

No of weeks with above average rainfall: 2011 - 8/13, 2012 - 3/4

All of the past 3 weeks have recorded less than 50% of average sunshine and I wouldn't be surprised if this week does as well wallbash.gif

Am not fed up anymore. Just got to accept the weather now.. What will really will be annoying will be the facts we will more likely get 10 days of nice weather at the end of September...

Posted

Just posted a little moan about the weather on another (non weather) forum, but some numpties on there think its not really cold ,at all, and implying the weather is normalmad.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Horrid looking week coming up by looks of it. More rain and on the wrong side of 20c for a fair bit of it too.

Posted

Just posted a little moan about the weather on another (non weather) forum, but some numpties on there think its not really cold ,at all, and implying the weather is normalmad.gif

It isn't really cold, I still walk my dog in T-shirt and lightweight trousers.

A bit wetter than normal but we need the rain, and it's just balancing out the exceptionally dry weather of the previous 18 months or so.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I'm mildly looking forward to this coming week- it looks like the emphasis could well be on bright showery weather and convective potential rather than persistent rain and extensive cloud, though on the other hand in these cyclonic setups weak fronts and banks of cloud have a habit of turning up at short notice and turning a bright showery outlook into a cloudy and often rainy one.

However even if we do extract a fair amount of sunshine through next week, it looks unlikely to last- the longer-term outputs remind me a lot of early June which certainly had far more than its fair share of "overcast, rain and cold" with the sole exception of north-west Scotland...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms & Snow

New month and continuation of the crap we have suffered through June.

No rain in Guildford since last Sunday.

I get one free day to go cycling this coming week - Tuesday. Bl**dy typical - light rain all day is forecast yet the rest of the week each day will be dominated by the usual useless light showers and days of humid cloudy muck (which at least can be cycled in). More boredom and seething annoyance at having to stay in on Tuesday then get the less wet conditions to work in.

Still no thunder in this dreadful summer - I was under the impression that this coming week was supposed to be 'convective' with a hope of some thundery showers in central southern England at long last - not more of this frontal dross.

If it was thunderstorms forecast for Tuesday's bike ride I could guarantee that it would stay bone dry and I could get a decent ride. As it is drizzle then it will come true. I am also getting sick of this sods law awkward annoyance with bad weather expected for EVERY day that I get free to ride and relax yet it is always dry (but cloudy and vile) on work days. I got better rides in February without all this dross.

Cycling in the countryside is the only pleasure to get away from urban life and with this awful summer I need respite from the daily stresses of work.

No ride / wet ride + strong weather dissatisfaction and frustration + grumpy customers (due to crap weather) = Anger, frustration and resentment, poor customer service.

Summers like this create high levels of boredom - if it has to be wet or unsettled then at least we could get some decent rainfall amounts or storms here in Guildford, or it could be settled and sunny. Long dry and sunny spells can be boring but there are so many more activities that can be enjoyed in those conditions and there is such a better 'feel good' factor - something vitally missing this year.

Well, I hope Tuesday is like the rest of the last 8 days - the rain fails to materialise - unless there are some surprises which involve a thunderstorm then a cancelled ride will be worth it.

Rant over.