Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Discussion

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Just looks grey and drizzly to me after some light rain early on, very dismal day indeed.

Cloud arrived not long before sunset here so all in all a lovely day with a high of 13.4c/

yes, hopefully any more substantial rain will move away during the morning, but Mark may well be right

Posted

Just looks grey and drizzly to me after some light rain early on, very dismal day indeed.

Cloud arrived not long before sunset here so all in all a lovely day with a high of 13.4c/

Conor, why is it always cloudy and dull in Shropshire?

I was up your way the other week, Oswestry, Shrewsbury and Telford. i'd left North Wales in clear blue skies arrived in cloudy dull shropshire, then arrived in sunny Wolverhampton.laugh.png

It was unreal...biggrin.png

Posted

Don't know why everyone on the model output thread is hoping for a northerly in October. Id rather have it warm until we get to the time of year where we could get a proper chance of snow. Id be suprised if any low lying parts of England see settling snow till the 2nd half of Nov.

Posted

I can vouch for the dull, misty mizzle we have in south Shropshire right now, but we don't seem to get as much murk as Conor who's in the north of the county. Had stunning weather over the weekend after the early fog cleared. Cleared out all the frost-damaged veg — I live in a frost hollow, and we had -2.8C recently.

Posted

Travelling to Birmingham from Redditch tomorrow. Just wonder what the forecast if for around 6pm tomorrow when Im travelling home,as just concerned about any fog ?

Forecast seems to show it as being okay (maybe misty later) - do you guys concur ?

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Don't know why everyone on the model output thread is hoping for a northerly in October. Id rather have it warm until we get to the time of year where we could get a proper chance of snow. Id be suprised if any low lying parts of England see settling snow till the 2nd half of Nov.

Well in an average Winter we would have to wait until well into December...at least!

Posted

Indeed, apart from being something different, I agree that there's not much interest in a northerly at this time of year. Crisp and frosty nights would be the best thing I suppose. The only exception I can think of where it was interesting was the end of October 2008. I don't see this being like that at all.

But...it is something different to the current murk so there you go.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

A dull overcast drizzly start to the day, at least we've escaped the thick fog forecasted. I must admit, whist the mild weather is easy on the central heating, I am looking forward to the change to some cool, crisp sunny weather when the winds switch to a northerly flow later on in the week

Posted

Well Im in central Birmingham and it looks pretty misty / foggy out there . Is it supposed to clear , as not looking forward to drive back to Redditch at 6pm if it doesnt ?

Thanks for advice

Posted

Hats off to Conor, no warm sunshine this week for the Midland's, hardly any anywhere in fact! Very mild though, no need for heatinggood.gif

Posted

Miserable, murky and mild. This is just the kind of weather we hate when we get it day after day during the winter.

Thankfully it's October so I'm not that bothered by it, some brightness would be nice though. October and November can deliver some of the most pleasant weather of the year but also some of the most boring. I'd say today definetly fits into the second category!

Never mind, a brief bit of colder and brighter weather before November. I'm prepared every year for November to be a bit of a nothing month before we all start getting itchy bums over the models in December. (Although it started early in 2010!)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

62 hours of continuous thick fog here up to 0700 g.m.t. Not that it's a record, I have recorded over 100 hours of continuous fog in the past, i.e January 1996, but it's not common in October.

It doesn't look like lifting anytime soon either. Still, I'm not complaining, you know what sort of weather I like!

Posted

Noticable breeze picking up today. First sign that things are finally on the move. Still very gloomy though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

seemed to be a lot of rain today over the E midlands, missed me thank christ, only a very short shower with huge drops

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Informed by my Dad that we recorded our earliest ever frost back home. I miss the cold and miserable British weather!

Posted

We did have quite a sharp frost (for the time of year) a couple of Sundays ago. Hoping this weekend's frost finally kills the remaining weeds.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Hello fellow Midlanders! Been told its been pretty dull in the Midlands this week back at home. However its been the same story here in Falmouth, The Lizard, Penzance and Lands End region where ive been this week with some thick fog on Tuesday. Mostly dry and misty with a little drizzle. Mild however. Much sunnier for all from Friday, especially Saturday though much cooler.

Been very close to the Lizard point and Lands end this week so im exploring the extremities of the UK well. laugh.png

Edited by Blizzards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

The fog finally lifted here around 0300 g.m.t after 82 consecutive hours. I haven't checked my records in detail but I'm fairly sure thats the longest spell of fog since January 1996.

Edit; Just checked through the last 35 years and it's the longest spell of continuous fog on record in October and the longest spell since 104 hours from 0800 on Jan' 16th to 1600 on Jan' 20th 1996.

The exceptional fogginess of January 1996 is also highlighted by the fact that the month began with a period of 108 hrs of continuous fog from 2200 on Dec' 30th 1995 to 1000 on January 4th 1996, the longest spell on record here. After a break of 13 hours this spell was then followed by another 56 hours of fog.

Edited by Terminal Moraine

Posted

Much better already today. A lot more breaks in the cloud and an altogether less gloomy feel. Breezy as well. A standard late October day really!

Posted

Well looks like even the crisp arctic air couldn't make the sun come out in Telford :lol: a bright day at least but still very cloudy.

Tommorow looks lovely though!

Posted

A few spits of rain making across to the Coventry area ,so there is a 'slight' chance we could see falling, if not sticking, snow tonight!! cold.gif

Posted

So the cold air comes in...and it's overcast and gloomy again. Needn't have bothered really.

Hopefully the sun will make an appearance tomorrow.

Posted

A couple of nice troughs heading down across the north atm, hopefully these will hold enough for us to get a bit of the white stuff?

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

A couple of nice troughs heading down across the north atm, hopefully these will hold enough for us to get a bit of the white stuff?

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

no way too mild 4.4°C here, and will rise under precip