Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Discussion

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

no way too mild 4.4°C here, and will rise under precip

Any precip falling tonight would be sleet or snow. Uppers sround -7, thicknesses sub 528 dam plus no solar input. Trouble is there will be no precip!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

A shower of sleet here late this afternoon and a current temperature of 1.8c so there is hope for the high ground at least, assuming any showers make their way this far inland.

According to the Met' Office forecast it's unlikely but I live in hope.

Posted

The fog finally lifted here around 0300 g.m.t after 82 consecutive hours. I haven't checked my records in detail but I'm fairly sure thats the longest spell of fog since January 1996.

Edit; Just checked through the last 35 years and it's the longest spell of continuous fog on record in October and the longest spell since 104 hours from 0800 on Jan' 16th to 1600 on Jan' 20th 1996.

The exceptional fogginess of January 1996 is also highlighted by the fact that the month began with a period of 108 hrs of continuous fog from 2200 on Dec' 30th 1995 to 1000 on January 4th 1996, the longest spell on record here. After a break of 13 hours this spell was then followed by another 56 hours of fog.

I don't remember any of the 90's months, but how does this spell compare to February 2011? The fog lifted occasionally, so no consecutive hour records, but it did seem exceptionally foggy for around 11 days.

Now I'm in Glasgow, it's made me realise just how foggy the Peak District is, or how un-foggy central Scotland is.

Edited by Harve

Posted

no way too mild 4.4°C here, and will rise under precip

The trough are bringing down colder air behind them so it would be no problem for snow, we just have to get some precip here as c/crewe says .

Posted

Just had a text from a mate that he witnessed flurries of snow over the cat and fiddle .........(probably sleet lol)

Edited by keviwal

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

thicknesses not ideal, can see the thickness charts for 9pm tonight, dark blues over E Scotland and NE England,

does get better for around a 3 hour window down the east midlands (522 thicknesses I think absolute minimum for snow)

Edited by ihatetherain

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

Would love to see one of those wintry showers come over and bash my snow shield, although I have a feeling they will just stay out to the East.

Posted

maybe a chance of a few flurries for me tonight but im too far west probably, plus im only at 90m asl

Most of Bedford is 20-40m... highest point is 77m at the top of Manton Lane. Just being picky as I work there. Anyway, radar suggests something falling from the sky any time now here in Rushden, temp is 2.6C, dewpoint is 0.3C on my weather station.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

I don't remember any of the 90's months, but how does this spell compare to February 2011? The fog lifted occasionally, so no consecutive hour records, but it did seem exceptionally foggy for around 11 days.

Now I'm in Glasgow, it's made me realise just how foggy the Peak District is, or how un-foggy central Scotland is.

It was a foggy month, Harve, but as you say it did tend to clear during the afternoons so the greatest number of consecutive hours was 42.

There were 13 days with fog recorded at 0900, the most on record in February, and the total number of hours with fog during the month was 179 compared to 133 hours so far this month.

Posted

a few reports from family and friends of a slight dusting of snow on car bonnets this morning, so could this be the earliest we've had??

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

One of the earliest although there was a proper covering much of the Midlands end of Oct 2008.

Posted

thankfully models look fairly mild after today, I dont want cold coming too soon, before mid nov, I think even if this toppler setup had arrived in winter, it would be snowless due to wishbone effect, (although could have been transient wet snow tonight before the warm sector arrives)

-2.3°C minimum today, but hardly a cloud in sight

And looking at raintoday, parts of SE and east anglia, would be in for an absolute snowfest it this was mid nov to mid feb, looks like its too early in 0ct, mostly sleet or rain

Edited by ihatetherain

Posted

Even though those further east and north have had a nice early surprise (and well done to them)...I don't feel as if we have missed out on anything due to the time of year. If anything today has acted as a reminder about how straight northerlies are next to useless for us. Had this pattern happened in the middle of winter, the net result would have been the same for us. (although we would have had to look at the snowy scenes from the north east and East Anglia with jealousy!)

Nothing lost and nothing gained for the West Midlands...except a beatuiful sunny day of course!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

So with AJ and myself now southerners and thus no longer Midlanders (Except me only in Holidays), its really up to you to keep the Midlands thread alive now guys! :lol:

AJ, where down south have you moved too?

Posted

So with AJ and myself now southerners and thus no longer Midlanders (Except me only in Holidays), its really up to you to keep the Midlands thread alive now guys! laugh.png

yeah, and nick2702 who is in 0klohoma

Posted

So with AJ and myself now southerners and thus no longer Midlanders (Except me only in Holidays), its really up to you to keep the Midlands thread alive now guys! :lol:

well i wasnt aware that aj was moving!!! i think mark should be the brains in this thread now, what dyou say aii? :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

I might have moved, but you're not getting rid of me....I'll be in here all winter, monitoring every post, every utterance, the 'finger of doom' poised above the 'delete' button ready to banish into cyber-oblivion anything that does meet my lofty criteria...MWHAA, HA HA HA HA!!!!

w00t.gif

Posted

So who will be left in the Black Country? I should be moving in two weeks time myself...but only to Upper Gornal. Anyone else left around here?

Posted

After a lovely blip yesterday with unbroken sunshine were back to the gloomfest murk today zzz.

Posted

A look at the week ahead comparing the weather where my relatives live with where I live:

http://forum.netweat...h-the-midlands/

I left 19 years ago, still avidly follow the Midland's weather though. Was back there much of 97-2000 though.

Edited by TonyH

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Will be back in the Midlands from next Saturday until the following Wednesday. :)

Weather this week looks like typical autumn. Very standard autumn fare this year though of course quite a short but sharp early cold blip has just passed.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Temporarily back in the west midlands tomorrow to sort out a few things and blimey looking at the hi-res, I've picked the worst day for it, with a period of very heavy rain sweeping through the region from the NW!

Posted

Aha unlucky mate! i havemt even looked at possibilities at home for the past few days, ive been concentrating on affairs in USA!

Plus could you post a pic of this chart please? thanks in advance!

Edited by Staffordshire