Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Discussion

A.J

Posted

Daventry, so we're quite high up compared to surrounding areas smiliz39.gif

It's turned back to more sleety stuff now, but for a moment it started to show signs of settling on the grass

I was there earlier, but mini-rugby was cancelled, so we came home.

Is this you??:

http://daventryweather.co.uk/dandg.html

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and hot, sunny summers!

Ahhh shame, I know it's not much but it's nice to see the first snowfall of the winter (well, autumn technically but still) :)

Nope, but it is a handy site to have bookmarked haha

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

So, what could have been our snow has as usual been given to the South and East! hahah

Posted

As usual to the cloud swamped here for much of the day whilst nothing fell from the sky as expected.

Bit of snooze fest week coming up, drab and grim.

Posted

So, what could have been our snow has as usual been given to the South and East! hahah

I wouldn't worry too much about missing that one. Great for those that got it but I think we would have seen wet snow here at best. Would have been a nasty day had that precipitation made it here. Instead, I've managed to get lots done and had a nice walk with the dog.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

I wouldn't worry too much about missing that one. Great for those that got it but I think we would have seen wet snow here at best. Would have been a nasty day had that precipitation made it here. Instead, I've managed to get lots done and had a nice walk with the dog.

Oh yes, still been a useable day but felt quite raw today. Would still have liked our early snow though. :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

always the way isn't it we mis out on the snow ah well our turn will come soon i hope.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and hot, sunny summers!

Just wondering, what's people's favourite snow event in this region? We seem to be in the worst place for snow, always being far away from the source of cold/snow whatever the direction it's coming from! But for me, the Feb 2009 easterly really delivered...A good foot and a half fell here (a bit deeper in drifts) and it was glorious :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Just wondering, what's people's favourite snow event in this region? We seem to be in the worst place for snow, always being far away from the source of cold/snow whatever the direction it's coming from! But for me, the Feb 2009 easterly really delivered...A good foot and a half fell here (a bit deeper in drifts) and it was glorious smile.png

19th Nov 1996, but in the christmas pudding, has to be 30th Nov-04 Dec 2010, then 17-23 Dec 2010

Feb 8-9th 07 was good, and Feb 09, but prefer snow at Xmas

You are not in the worst place for snow, I am, never seen anywhere near a foot of snow!!!!!

Stafford is the least snowiest place in the UK, very badly placed

Edited by ihatetherain

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

19th Nov 1996, but in the christmas pudding, has to be 30th Nov-04 Dec 2010, then 17-23 Dec 2010

Feb 8-9th 07 was good, and Feb 09, but prefer snow at Xmas

You are not in the worst place for snow, I am, never seen anywhere near a foot of snow!!!!!

Stafford is the least snowiest place in the UK, very badly placed

Want to bet?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

Fairly misty and chilly this morning with the temperature hovering just above 0*C. Has been a light frost, too, making it feel Winter-like out their. Clear (despite misty) skies accompany the slightly frosty scene this morning. :)

Just wondering, what's people's favourite snow event in this region? We seem to be in the worst place for snow, always being far away from the source of cold/snow whatever the direction it's coming from! But for me, the Feb 2009 easterly really delivered...A good foot and a half fell here (a bit deeper in drifts) and it was glorious :)

It would have to be the one which gave about 17cm+ for Solihull during December 17th (or it might have been 18th) 2010. Actually had to end up walking home in it from work since some of the buses stopped running in the afternoon, although it provided me with the highest snow depth I ever saw.

Edited by DiagonalRedLine

Posted

Has to be the great midlands blizzard of 1990, if you want epic snowfall, that event would even shut the Canadians up lol.

I remember going to sleep with light rain falling and the next morning my aunt burst into the bedroom and shouted "kids, kids, look out of the widow" , and we looked out and two and a half feet of snow had fallen in the space of around 6 hours!!

It was an extremely localised event and Nuneaton was the worst hit town.

Btw, we had no water and electricity for four day, but we didn't go looting or rioting.

Seems like folk nowadays don't need an excuse to behave like animals.

Posted

18th December 2010 wins by a clear mile. 20cm of snow in about 6 hours here with relentless heavy snow. Had there been more a wind it would have been a true blizzard. The snow band just refused to budge for much of the day allowing us here and alot of Birmingham, Worcestershire and into Oxfordshire way etc to get a real dumping!

Posted

18th December 2010 wins by a clear mile. 20cm of snow in about 6 hours here with relentless heavy snow. Had there been more a wind it would have been a true blizzard. The snow band just refused to budge for much of the day allowing us here and alot of Birmingham, Worcestershire and into Oxfordshire way etc to get a real dumping!

I was left seriously wanting from that winter, we got a mere 2" :-( The 80's and early 90's were winners for this location.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

I was left seriously wanting from that winter, we got a mere 2" :-( The 80's and early 90's were winners for this location.

same here...it was cold for sure, but that was about it

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

same here...it was cold for sure, but that was about it

Same here AJ! But you already knew that from my incessent whining :p

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

A foot in Dec 1990 at Coventry - that was a lot more at Nuneaton Christ! Gone in 2 days though.

For deep sustained snow, Jan 82, Jan 87 and Feb 91 the best.

For repeated snow events that stuck around Winter 78/79. All in Coventry again.

Then of course Nov to Dec 2010 but that was here in west Wales!

Edited by TonyH

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

i would say my best snow event here in brum would be 87,dec 1990 and feb 91 2010 was ok. 8th dec 90 was excelent i remembor going sleep whith rain falling waking up on saturday morning to over a foot of snow and it didnt stop til the late afternoon. I was 12 at the time and i could walk over the front garden wall and u couldnt tell the different bitween the payvment and the wall. Ah how i wish to c another snow fall like that1 again.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

i would say my best snow event here in brum would be 87,dec 1990 and feb 91 2010 was ok. 8th dec 90 was excelent i remembor going sleep whith rain falling waking up on saturday morning to over a foot of snow and it didnt stop til the late afternoon. I was 12 at the time and i could walk over the front garden wall and u couldnt tell the different bitween the payvment and the wall. Ah how i wish to c another snow fall like that1 again.

Can assume you were born on 02 Aug 1978! I cannott remember 87, 90 or 91 at all, but looks legendary on archives

Posted

Quite misty tonight here. Mind you given the cold clear skies, was expecting more fog tbh.

Posted

@ihatetherain i was and yes these few events stick out for me' the best snowfalls here in brum

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Same here AJ! But you already knew that from my incessent whining blum.gif

Oh God, your incessant whining.....don't remind me! bomb.gif

w00t.gif

Posted

Just wondering, what's people's favourite snow event in this region? We seem to be in the worst place for snow, always being far away from the source of cold/snow whatever the direction it's coming from! But for me, the Feb 2009 easterly really delivered...A good foot and a half fell here (a bit deeper in drifts) and it was glorious smile.png

I'll second that.

Think we had 5 consecutive days of snowfall.