Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Discussion

A.J

Posted

There's a pretty nasty squall line crossing Brum atm, that'll keep the nasty 'trick-or-treating' chavs away at least!

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

Seems to be some amusing showery activity occurring in Wales at the moment. If there's any chance that those organised line of showers out in Wales make it here, then some higher areas of the Midlands (especially) could be in for a wintry treat. :)

Posted

Seems to be some amusing showery activity occurring in Wales at the moment. If there's any chance that those organised line of showers out in Wales make it here, then some higher areas of the Midlands (especially) could be in for a wintry treat. :)

how about my measly 200m?

Posted

Might be a small chance of seeing something a little wintry if the precipitation becomes heavy enough probably. I admit I haven't seen the charts, so not too sure what the dew points and upper temps would be like & whether it'd be supportive enough. At your elevation, however, the odd wet snowflake couldn't be ruled out (better chance than me anyway with you being 100 meters higher than me). :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

200m? lichfield not that high is it? just looked it up, highest point is 130m

Edited by ihatetherain

Posted

Just had a little area of moderate/heavy precipitation come through and their definitely seemed to be a bit of sleetiness to the rain. Did have to stand outside with the backlight on to observe it carefully though. But it's possible the icy pieces that fell with the rain could have been wet hail/snow grapual however.

Edited by DiagonalRedLine

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Hello all, back in Stourbridge from tomorrow till Wednesday. Here down sarrff in Cornwall yesterday we had some short potent hail showers which im told appeared a little sleety at times too. I was too busy behind a computer screen working to notice though. Looks decidedly cold back home over the next few days though this applies to all over the UK really!

Edited by Blizzards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Met Office going for a brief spell of sleet at home on Sunday. Looks like showers but could be wintry as its only predicted to be 4 or 5c! GFS has some areas at just 3c. It seems remarkably cold when the uppers are not that cold. Anyone else thought this?

Posted

Just seen the NAE12z... potential Midlands snow event on Sunday??? on the Western and Northern edge of a low pressure? :D

Posted

I saw this, it doesn't seem like it'll amount to anything but, we've been shocked before.

Not very often, but it happens lol.

Posted

I should add the situation on Sunday is EXCEPTIONALLY Marginal. The chances of this coming off are probably 10-20% right now. But according to Ian Fergusson on the model thread, some models are moving towards a similar NAE solution. One to watch but realistically I would expect very little if anything at all.

Posted

Looking at the temperatures at ground level for sunday night, if we do get anything, it would probably lie until mid morning, which would be better than anything we had last winter :-D

Posted

I should add the situation on Sunday is EXCEPTIONALLY Marginal. The chances of this coming off are probably 10-20% right now. But according to Ian Fergusson on the model thread, some models are moving towards a similar NAE solution. One to watch but realistically I would expect very little if anything at all.

No way, and 4th Nov still too early for snow, unless it was a very cold northerly

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

No way, and 4th Nov still too early for snow, unless it was a very cold northerly

No it is correct, local forecast for west country on bbc (watch on website) has possible snow event for some of west country (mainly cotwolds) and midlands.

personaly i want it further west blum.gif

Posted

No it is correct, local forecast for west country on bbc (watch on website) has possible snow event for some of west country (mainly cotwolds) and midlands.

personaly i want it further west blum.gif

you are at nearly 300m asl, it will snow with you, (although probably wont stick) no real cold air in place

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

you are at nearly 300m asl, it will snow with you, (although probably wont stick) no real cold air in place

I'd have a good chance if it was further west.. need the heavy ppn for freezing levels to drop which is currently forecast to be around midlands and cotswolds.

Posted

October 2008 snow not ring any bells? I think youll find it can snow at this time! Of course it requires some luck and parameters on our side. the NAE obviously is seeing something.

Posted

October 2008 snow not ring any bells? I think youll find it can snow at this time! Of course it requires some luck and parameters on our side. the NAE obviously is seeing something.

That was arctic air though, this isnt, I did get snow but didnt lie at all (in town 80m)

Posted

NAE chart please mate? and are you back in stourbridge or still down south?

Here you go: http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/cgi-bin/expertcharts?LANG=en&MENU=0000000000&CONT=ukuk&MODELL=nae&MODELLTYP=1&BASE=-&VAR=prty&HH=48&ZOOM=0&ARCHIV=0&RES=0&WMO=&PERIOD=

Im still in Cornwall right now but back in Stourbridge from tomorrow afternoon. :)

Posted
cheers bud! and ahh thats alright then! looks to far east for here!

Posted

NAE 18z cancels the snow potential, not to any surprise due to the Low going further south so wouldnt affect us west Midlanders. Still scope for change though. But snow risk is <10% anyway.

Edited by Blizzards

Posted

GFS 18z creates a vile day for the Midlands on Sunday with very cold rain. Just an afternoon temperature of 1c in the West Midlands!!! but no wintriness as uppers dont really support snow but it could be one truly nasty, cold and wet day!

Posted

GFS 18z creates a vile day for the Midlands on Sunday with very cold rain. Just an afternoon temperature of 1c in the West Midlands!!! but no wintriness as uppers dont really support snow but it could be one truly nasty, cold and wet day!

ahhh oh well were not even in winter yet! :D