Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Uk Convective General Discussion & Forecasts, 11th July 2012>

Coast

Posted

Getting hit by storm after storm here... Best day for it for a long time. Possibly the best I can remember...

Yep! only half a mile from me on the downs and after a brief rest bite the sky is getting dark again from the west, so looks like we will be off again in a minute?

Edited by HighPressure

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, Heat, Thunderstorms

every single storm running along the south coast looks to be a direct hit for me, then flicks just north over portsmouth to make me literally on the clouds edge!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

You lucky b**gers! If I ever see a southerner who got a storm today moaning again I'll...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: action weather

had a hit and miss day down here in somerset today . at 5am today some fantastic storm clouds developed over bristol chan and missed me by about 10miles typical but a few beefy ones around about an hour ago ,just noticed on radar front aproaching south west ireland and sat pic as pr front aproaching v far s west , here we go again looks like moving in pretty quick , then sat sun we could all get our fix again with very slow moving storms for many cheers ,legritterdrinks.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

What a great day...sublime!!! :yahoo:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

Oh but wait the South East NEVER get storms......

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

Cumbria this is the first day this year? ...jealousy ?

The SE normally get atleast 5 storms every year yet they still say its a crap location for storms and the north get more, umad?

Posted

The SE normally get atleast 5 storms every year yet they still say its a crap location for storms and the north get more, umad?

The Majority of the SE hasnt had 5 storms in a year period for about 5 years now!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

A surpise very heavy shower hear now. Thought they were supposed to die out by now for a dry night before the frontal band tomorrow.

Only brief, but was very heavy!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.

Well we did get a heavy shower at around 6:00pm but no thunder as usual.lazy.gif

I will be considering moving to another location if we don't get anything thundery even on Saturday.

Posted

Oh but wait the South East NEVER get storms......

This year the north have got more FACT.

rofl.gif

Posted

Pretty big area the North of England, what you should say is Isolated areas of the North have had more storms, Ive heard 1 rumble since Sept 2011!

Edited by UKVoodoo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder & Lightning, Snow, Wind

WOW....... Driving home I usually take the A264 Tunbridge Wells > East Grinstead > Crawley router, but saw the clouds and though wouldnt like to drive home on that route in torrential Rain, so took the A21 up to M25 and west to M23.

Left Tunbridge Wells and got hammered by the heaviest rain i think I have ever seen. This was on the A21 Between Tonbridge and Sevenoaks in Kent.

Luckily replaced my worn out windscreen wipers yesterday, as visibility virtually 0, as they couldnt even clear the rain. Couldn't see the road in front for a time. Lots of CGs hitting each side of the A21 just before the storm lost energy.

Scared me <expletive>less, but yet was enjoyable none the less :)

Posted

Well, just got back again after yet more lightning kicked off...this time the lightning was frankly awesome, stretching from west to east for the full extent of my vision!! All I can say is it's about blood time we got treated :yahoo:

Regarding the regional issue, yes we do need to bear in mind that there are significant sub regional differences...ive now had 9 thunder days, but I would say this was only the second day of proper full on thunderstorms....

Oooohhhh sky turning again.....will it won't it!?!?!?!?!?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: MCC/MCS Thunderstorms

You lucky b**gers! If I ever see a southerner who got a storm today moaning again I'll...

I never got one... unless something went through my workplace in West End earlier today.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms & Snow

Well, what can I say. After the heaviest rain event I've known here in my lifetime happened on the 7th, and a thunderstorm on the 6th, perfectly timed for the one week in hundreds I (but not parents + brother) was out the country on the 3rd-10th July, In which the stream and river flooded which I find very interesting when happens being interested in river systems and also severe weather, I thought interesting weather surely must be trying to avoid me. Indeed I was not at home last time it did this in a big way on the 30th October 2008 (the first in ages).

Also 2 decent thunderstorms while in exams or windowless rooms in the last few years (A high percentage of all total storms in that time)

Then today my mum drove to a town to take my gran up to see relatives. I could have gone but was a bit tired after arriving home yesterday, and thought it just looked like a 'thundery shower' day and here seemed to have a chance. What's more if I had gone here would surely have had a thunderstorm. Guess which town that was. Yep, you guessed it, Reigate! The town that looks to have at least 2 major thunderstorms today with dramatic reports coming from them!

This shows that interesting weather has proved that it usually tries to avoid me at all costs. The statistical likelihood of what's happened happening must be very small, and with anything that could be controlled/done by a person would be pretty strong evidence. It seemed to have a minor error on the 28th June at 3:30am though but that was soon compensated for.

I have decided I will probably go out and chase in the coming days and find the weather, although no doubt it will mean a thunderstorm magically hits my house. laugh.png I've got to laugh really or else I don't know what I'd do.

Some nice cumulus/distant CB's tobay but only a brief shower at my house.

Well, what can I say. After the heaviest rain event I've known here in my lifetime happened on the 7th, and a thunderstorm on the 6th, perfectly timed for the one week in hundreds I (but not parents + brother) was out the country on the 3rd-10th July, In which the stream and river flooded which I find very interesting when happens being interested in river systems and also severe weather, I thought interesting weather surely must be trying to avoid me. Indeed I was not at home last time it did this in a big way on the 30th October 2008 (the first in ages).

Also 2 decent thunderstorms while in exams or windowless rooms in the last few years (A high percentage of all total storms in that time)

Then today my mum drove to a town to take my gran up to see relatives. I could have gone but was a bit tired after arriving home yesterday, and thought it just looked like a 'thundery shower' day and here seemed to have a chance. What's more if I had gone here would surely have had a thunderstorm. Guess which town that was. Yep, you guessed it, Reigate! The town that looks to have at least 2 major thunderstorms today with dramatic reports coming from them!

This shows that interesting weather has proved that it usually tries to avoid me at all costs. The statistical likelihood of what's happened happening must be very small, and with anything that could be controlled/done by a person would be pretty strong evidence. It seemed to have a minor error on the 28th June at 3:30am though but that was soon compensated for.

I have decided I will probably go out and chase in the coming days and find the weather, although no doubt it will mean a thunderstorm magically hits my house. laugh.png I've got to laugh really or else I don't know what I'd do.

Some nice cumulus/distant CB's tobay but only a brief shower at my house.

You have brilliantly summed up how I feel about recent events.

Around 4 pm I was pleased with my 3 rumbles of thunder and I even abandoned cooking my tea to go out and walk to a less built up area and watch the cell developing as it moved east. Took photos but cannot seem to upload them on here. Typical then that yet again Guildford misses these two outbreaks as another followed to the north and east and Reigate gets pasted a second time. I believe Dorking and Reigate also had a storm yesterday afternoon as well. This area 15~20 mile to the east of Guildford has had event after event over the last few days including a deluge (also with thunder) on Saturday night. We missed it. 3 rumbles is comparatively puny now I am getting reports on various chat sites of >20 discharges, many very close, in many nearby areas. We wait weeks for the right situation to develop while the north gets plastered, yet again then we get let-downs like today.

Lets just hope the next few days can deliver - I don't care about the rest of the U.K. grumbling about the wet summer as here in Guildford it has NOT been especially wet or thundery and I really don't want to lose the instability until I finally experience something. Selfish - I know, but after weeks of mediocrity and extremely boring and depressing weather, I really want this wet summer to go out with a bang. 2012 summer may be similar to the wet summer of 2007, but the general rain, interesting events and thundery activity was far superior to what this year has offered.

I was in Cornwall in early June when Guildford had >40 mm rain in a day (June 10th~11th). This also happened last year (June 5th~6th) when I was on holiday. I was also too far west for the Plymouth storms of 11th June. I am a well experienced veteran of being in the wrong area at the wrong time for interesting events, so I can identify with your frustration very well!

Posted

Over the last hour the remnants of this afternoon's storms that affected eastern Ireland have now flared up along the mid-Wales coast around Cardigan Bay. Some bright echoes, in there too. Quite unusual to see that happening at this time of year.

Posted

I never got one... unless something went through my workplace in West End earlier today.

Oh mate....there's been some awesome lightning displays although largely south of London.

Fingers crossed for more this summer is what I say :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder & Lightning, Snow, Wind

Heres a radar cap from the NW radar at 8:30 which is about when i got hit by the torrential rain in the A21.

post-4193-0-57193700-1342039271_thumb.pn

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Over the last hour the remnants of this afternoon's storms that affected eastern Ireland have now flared up along the mid-Wales coast around Cardigan Bay. Some bright echoes, in there too. Quite unusual to see that happening at this time of year.

Yeah, more of an autumn/winter thing, rather early for autumn just yet

Posted

Well well well, Friday looking similar to today and to a lesser extent Saturday.

Look at what's sniffing about next (wait for it) Thursday!!!! Worth keeping an eye on IMO in the coming days

Edited by Harry