Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Uk Convective General Discussion & Forecasts, 17th July 2012>

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

I guess our weather patterns have changed since the 1980/90's as people said on here a warm spell meant guaranteed storms. I think pattern shift in the jet stream is probably to blame instead of the jet stream heading north over the uk (or close by) its just heading in a east/north east direction meaning anything that forms in france goes the same direction.

Never thought about that but you are probably absolutely right! acute.gif

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards,Hot Thundery nights.

Remember them days when the lot of that would be surging its way towards us. We're a far cry from that now by the looks of it :(

Yes remember many "all nighters" back in the 1980s. As a child i used to sleep on the window sill watching lightning all for hours on end. All we had was the bbc weather saying storms will spread up from the continent, it was so much simpler then lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Yes remember many "all nighters" back in the 1980s. As a child i used to sleep on the window sill watching lightning all for hours on end. All we had was the bbc weather saying storms will spread up from the continent, it was so much simpler then lol

Likewise when they're not forecast, we seem to get them, well some lucky SE'ners tend to get them. sorry.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

I know, back in mid 1990's I remember them saying there was going to be showers or longer spells of heavy rain, no thunder even mentioned! Go to sleep, wake up only by the loudest thunder I've ever heard! It scared the living daylights out of me, even though im a die hard fan of severe storms! We just seem to be a force-field these days, the last 10 times ive seen plumes from Spain, they just seem to be repelled badly from the SE corner.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

As someone mentioned, the jet stream has been in an awkward position for the past few years, just concocted something quickly and it shows why perhaps we hardly ever see anything.

Could this be the reason?

post-15503-0-55429300-1343411238_thumb.j

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: MCC/MCS Thunderstorms

As someone mentioned, the jet stream has been in an awkward position for the past few years, just concocted something quickly and it shows why perhaps we hardly ever see anything.

Could this be the reason?

It's something we discussed a while back, one relationship was discussed to be the NAO. A negative NAO isn't that good for storms, whilst a more neutral state NAO is probably the best.

One thing for sure is we haven't had an Iberian low in a long time after some warm weather. Imports are sparse, last big ones I remember where July 7th 2009, absolutely amazing thunderstorms that headed northbound from France and the Channel.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun, Deep Snow, Convective Goodness, Anvil Crawlers

Couple of showers popping up west of London and on the EA coast....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun, Deep Snow, Convective Goodness, Anvil Crawlers

.....which seem to be beefing up a little heading east.....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: MCC/MCS Thunderstorms

How on earth did it chuck it down like that? There was not much cloud, even so it was very high altitude....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms. All extreme weather.

Some activity SE of London on the radar. Heavy rain or something like.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms & Snow

I guess our weather patterns have changed since the 1980/90's as people said on here a warm spell meant guaranteed storms. I think pattern shift in the jet stream is probably to blame instead of the jet stream heading north over the uk (or close by) its just heading in a east/north east direction meaning anything that forms in france goes the same direction.

In the past when the storms missed this part of S.E. England and stayed over France moving away in the 'wrong' direction there would always be the good prospect of storms from unstable cooler S.W.ly / westerly / N.W./y situations that inevitably followed. We don't even get any chance with those, once reliable, setups either.

Edited by Severe Blizzard

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/squalls/hoar-frost/mist

heavy showers for sunday yes ,and polar maritime storms can be photogenic, but not ideal for lightning after dark, when september arrives i wish it was March again..., the winter and zero thunder is not very enticing.

Posted

Hmmm is Sunday going to disappoint too?

MU_London_avn.png

Someone must get something out of this lot even if I don't!

42_20.gif

gfs_cape_eur42.png

Central England toward EA again then?

gfs_icape_eur42.png

gfs_layer_eur42.png

gfs_prec_eur42.png

Posted

Worst breakdown of hot weather yet, Its got to be said! I didnt even feel a single drop of rain ! Lets take the time to remember 'El Brumo', the best tornado to have ever stuck Britain 7 years ago today.

Posted

PPVE89.gif?31415

PPVG89.gif?31415

Rtavn3011.png

Rtavn3611.png

sorry posted in wrong thread

leave the charts for tomorrow though

Edited by john pike

Posted

test post - wheres my convection?

Posted

Did a SI ever get carried out in Sleaford, Lincs after the June 28th event? From the footage I saw I wouldn't be surprised if the tornado that affected the region turned out to be just as strong as the Birmingham and Peterborough tornadoes in 2005, if not stronger.

Looked very similar in terms of its size. The damage was very minimal though, as it was much less densely populated in that area.

A reminder of the storms we used to get after a hot spell back in the 1990's. This was in Macclesfield, Cheshire!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Just had a mad thunderstorm. Very very heavy rain, fork lightning, loud, overhead thunder!

Posted

Just had a mad thunderstorm. Very very heavy rain, fork lightning, loud, overhead thunder!

The centre of it tracked to the south of me so all I got was a shower !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the stormier the better...

So frustrated now. Towers springing up all around us, Runcorn ten miles away just seen some action and we are currently under clear blue skys! Wonder if anything will pop up later....