Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Uk Convective General Discussion & Forecasts, 17th July 2012>

Posted

Just come down to Norwich for a few days for my graduation with a Meteorology PhD, and I see some pretty hefty thunderstorms on a collision course with Norwich- perhaps some thunder if they can maintain intensity over the next couple of hours? There was also some extremely intense rainfall at around 4:20pm, though I didn't detect any thunder or lightning.

Congrats on your PhD,maybe a half shandy to celebrate later on? biggrin.png

That storm to the west of Norwich is kicking out a lot of strikes,northeasterners/former northeasterners are storm magnets today!

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

Just come down to Norwich for a few days for my graduation with a Meteorology PhD, and I see some pretty hefty thunderstorms on a collision course with Norwich- perhaps some thunder if they can maintain intensity over the next couple of hours? There was also some extremely intense rainfall at around 4:20pm, though I didn't detect any thunder or lightning.

What more could a Meteorology graduad ask for! Well done Ian!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

Well done Ian!

The first part has passed over now, and the structure was great before it hit.

Didn't see any close lightning, but there was one fairly loud rumble.

Ready for the next part now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Looks like we could be missing out on this evening's storm activity :( loads to my north and south, we couldn't be placed any better between them ! Typical.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat Waves, Tornadoes.

Good work on the PhD!

Lots of strikes over there right now. Not jealous one bit...... cray.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Many

Seems like a very near miss to me, really thought I could get something particularly when I got home after work but it seems not. Still, the skies around here are amazing (see attached) and I can see things are still alive and kicking elsewhere smile.png.

post-17125-0-31858300-1342639263_thumb.j post-17125-0-01751000-1342639344_thumb.j

post-17125-0-77664800-1342639426_thumb.j

Edited by Chris W

Posted

Type in sy8, is the storm to the left thundery?? Hope so plus hoping to get a direct hit if going west to east fingers crossed maybe some lighting to be seen in Ludlow, and hopefully darker aswel :), what everyone think??

Posted
  • Location: Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, England. 108.7m ASL
  • Location: Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, England. 108.7m ASL

Sky to the north of MK is black as hell, looking at the charts there a line of storms running west to east, sure I could hear thunder a while ago coming from over olney / northampton way which is around 14-15 miles away. Is that possible to hear it that far off? I thought it was the idiots upstairs banging about to start with until I went outside for a look.

Posted

That storm heading to norwich is the one that passed here (bourne to sleaford ish) around seven. It wasnt as organised then but had impressive size hail, updrafts and constant Thunder and lightning causing flash flooding of roads

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

Here's a couple of photos from this evenings storm as it approached...

post-3392-0-86361300-1342640626_thumb.jp post-3392-0-28270500-1342640631_thumb.jp

And this was what looked like the next storm on it's way, but it died before getting here...

post-3392-0-04639100-1342640636_thumb.jp

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

So close yet so far.

That stuff in west wales is looking good fun. Even some sferics now.

Posted

Yea it's not far from me nw hoping for a good storm must be only 15 to 30 mins away nw

Good luck :)

Can you add your location to your profile pretty pleases :) Thanks!

Posted

Type in sy8, is the storm to the left thundery?? Hope so plus hoping to get a direct hit if going west to east fingers crossed maybe some lighting to be seen in Ludlow, and hopefully darker aswel smile.png, what everyone think??

I think it will go south of us. Leominster has taken a hammering today, and it looks like it will get another later.

Posted

TWS spotted on the streets of Norwich. laugh.png

Am I being stupid? Whats a TWS?

Edit, Ignore me.. I get it... Thundery wintry shower has been spotted lol.. Duh...

Edited by Lynxus

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: action weather

congratulations to THUNDERY WINTRY SHOWERS ,a great achievement .and thanks for your involvment over the years .wish i had taken up some sort of degree etc when i was much younger ,but spent severall yrs in the forces then family .i was elected a fellow of the royal meteorological society back in the early 80s ,attended many interesting meetings and collected a mass of knowledge and material . but i stoped paying my membership back about 6 yrs ago .i did not realise at the time but alas no longer a fellow . any how its great being apart of NET WEATHER .feeling pig s today as just boring drizzle , hoping tomorrow will bring some convection down here drinks.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

After the shower activity to the north seemed to be dying off about 5pm, I'd written today off. Not had a single storm all year. But impressive skies now, watched a small storm develop to the south over Bedford, and mammatus cloud developing ahead of potential storm activity to the west. I'm fairly confident.

That afternoon burst gave us "quite a pummeling" biggrin.png (only rain sadly).

but did you hear the 2/3 rumbles of thunder from that latest cell to pass through?

In typical fashion it seemed to go active "after" it passed us doh.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Stormtastic here biggrin.png

Nice to see you getting a storm this evening...Those cells do look beastly, indeed well organized with PPN spread fanning out ahead thus allowing the storms to maintain strong cores.....South and SW of Brum could yet see a flashes as the heavy showers over mid and west Wales show no sign of losing intenstity...North of Brum (here) things seem fairly benign, an old decaying anvil to my west just giving a light shower of radar and looking at the directional flow we are unlikely to see anything else here sadly

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather.

I thought things would have started calming down by now, but the radar still looks quite impressive especially in East Anglia.

Posted

Looks like you are about to cop it Matty23 — I think we'll slide between the two main storms.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool not cold, warm not hot. No strong Wind.

I thought things would have started calming down by now, but the radar still looks quite impressive especially in East Anglia.

Whilst the current batch of storm activity appears to have moved out into the N-Sea, there does appear to be some more potential storms moving in over Wales at present, just now depends on conditions allowing them the "spark off" clapping.gif