Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Uk General Convective Discussion & Forecasts, 28th August 2012>

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Surprised there aren't a few more posts here. Reports of a thunderstorm near Manchester earlier.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

The front really pepped up as it made landfall here just after 5pm, very intense rainfall along with gusty winds. No thundery activity to report this far north.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun, Deep Snow, Convective Goodness, Anvil Crawlers

I don't know if anyone is up this late, but I was out in the garden indulging in a quick cigarette, and I saw a couple of flashes towards the river.

Looking at the radar, it appears there's something that has popped up very quickly just outside the end of the Thames Estuary - Anyone in the Southend direction see it? I've heard distant rumbles since but no more flashes....

Posted

Really suprised at the reports tonight as nothing showed up this morning on the charts and data. Hope you guys get some more and enjoy the Tstorm!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun, Deep Snow, Convective Goodness, Anvil Crawlers

It's looking like the cheeky zap zap has moved off and got itself organised into the north sea. Not seen or heard anything since - I didn't expect it either, thought it might've been fireworks, but the 'bang' was actually a rumble. If I'd of been indoors I probably would have missed it. Totally taken by surprise & I usually am all over any convective potential!!

Needless to say I am now hanging out of the bedroom window, camera on, trying to stop the cats escaping just in case there's anymore. Don't think there will be, it's quite windy, so anything developing is getting its wriggle on off to sea I think. Well, that's what the Nwextra radar is showing... :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

Has anyone noticed that sqall line from NE england to S whales,looks quiet heavy

will there be any action from it.

Edited by allseasons-si

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Squall line - dying as it moves over Pennines here. That was typical.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Very heavy rainfall as the cold front moved through, tell you what it's gone flippin cool, 9.7c and falling...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

Squall line - dying as it moves over Pennines here. That was typical.

yes i feared that would happen Aaron

Posted

Really suprised at the reports tonight as nothing showed up this morning on the charts and data. Hope you guys get some more and enjoy the Tstorm!

Mid-level instability was the name of the game, and there was potential (as per UKASF forecast) but very low point probability of anything developing.

Shame that tonight's cold front has lost it's structure (and squall), I know a lot of the local agriculture industry want some decent rain at the moment - going to be a bit hard this week to find that by the looks of things...

Posted

Still looking convectively quiet for the next week or so, maybe a very very ickle chance tomorrow into Thursday:

MU_Aberdeen_avn.png

MU_Manchester_avn.png

MU_London_avn.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Many

A lot of rain arond Chester and Warrington this morning, and the ATD is showing a couple of sferics from nearly an hour ago - certainly were some Cbs floating around on the drive into work (and some very wet roads).

As for last night who caught the squall line that passed through western areas in the evening? Passed my house teeming with rain and wind accompanying, then went on to finish off any chance of a result in the T20 at Old Trafford!

Posted

A lot of rain arond Chester and Warrington this morning, and the ATD is showing a couple of sferics from nearly an hour ago - certainly were some Cbs floating around on the drive into work (and some very wet roads).

GFS simple format backs that up, not sure it's a big event though:

06_20.gif

Make the most of it, I can't find any crumbs of convective comfort for a long way out. e018.gif

Posted

Some showers here today but nothing too major (Another 1 coming in now) Clearing as soon as they have started more or less though quite heavy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

The UK in general has had quite an active storm period this summer. It's been relatively exciting with numerous chases and opportunities country wide for the last 10 or so weeks. Im not surprised things have quietened down somewhat - it has to be expected!

Not so for us in North Kent, barely a rumble all year!

Posted

Not so for us in North Kent, barely a rumble all year!

Extend that down to the Sussex coast as well please........

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow

Just had a hell of a shower here! flooded the carpark within a min or two!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Some decent looking clouds and showers around here today. A little more than I was expecting to be honest.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Heavy, and at some times torrential downpours this morning. A brighter afternoon. Now it looks like the end of the world outside with a strong wind and heavy rain falling again against the windows. Certainly more exciting than last week.

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Nice squall line passed through here near Croydon about 1/2 hr ago, very intense rain in a narrow band - probably lasted about 5 mins max. Now dry again. No lightning showing along its length recently though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Nice squall line passed through here near Croydon about 1/2 hr ago, very intense rain in a narrow band - probably lasted about 5 mins max. Now dry again. No lightning showing along its length recently though.

Indeed, the same was true of Newbury. My Davis reported a rain rate of 30.8mm/hr (nothing too exceptional) at one point. Interestingly however, the rain persisted only between 2025 and 2027BST.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: action weather

travelled across the mendips this morning about 9 .30am ,it was almost night looking with thick mist ,as we got towards the top of burrington we stoped for an important phone call ,it absolutely pommeled it down for about a minute then within 2 mins the sun was out ,we caught up with the downpour a bit later ,and met the odd patch of flooding ,was not expecting much today . cheers gang drinks.gif

Posted

The convective quiet period continues for a few days yet and although the Total-Totals are up a bit, I can't see anything likely to break until Friday

MU_Aberdeen_avn.png

MU_Manchester_avn.png

MU_London_avn.png

So, next Friday????

138_20.gif

Fingers crossed!

Posted

Hmmmmm, please let this develop a little more as the week grinds on.......

post-6667-0-49478900-1347785193_thumb.pn post-6667-0-15350300-1347785199_thumb.pn

post-6667-0-60583200-1347785200_thumb.pn post-6667-0-42120600-1347785203_thumb.pn

post-6667-0-13125300-1347785202_thumb.pn

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Many

A squall has just passed through here - fairly heavy rain and gusty, looks very intense on radar now as it strengthens, and the Met Office have a thunder symbol over northern Scotland.