Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Uk General Convective Discussion & Forecasts, 28th August 2012>

Posted

Best storm of the season so far - frequent lightning and thunderclaps, very heavy, to sometimes torrential periods of rain. Lasted about an hour with spikes in intensity every now and again. Now the clouds have cleared and it's the brightest I've seen all day out to the west.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat Waves, Tornadoes.

Metoffice app on my HTC say's heavy showers here later. I hope its something photographic anyway.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Well that was certainly the most fun I've ever had walking to tesco! I got absolutely drenched! Epic thunder and lightning, hail and the heaviest rain I've seen in a long time, the roads were like rivers! At least I've seen one good thunderstorm this year :)

Posted

So where are the tunns of sferics I can hear on the radio coming from? A lot sound very close and powerful.

that could have been the storm i watched earlier that moved toward Manchester, very visible strikes, non of this hidden intacloud stuff

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

That was the problam with today, I didn't actuaally see any lightning as it was all intracloud. The thunder wasn't very loud iether because it was all with in the clouds. At least I could hear the sferics. It was strange that although at its closest point, the gap between the sferic and thunder was around 3 seconds, making it just over half a mile away, the thunder was very quiet and rumbley. I expect this was due to what I said above.

Posted

That was the problam with today, I didn't actuaally see any lightning as it was all intracloud. The thunder wasn't very loud iether because it was all with in the clouds. At least I could hear the sferics. It was strange that although at its closest point, the gap between the sferic and thunder was around 3 seconds, making it just over half a mile away, the thunder was very quiet and rumbley. I expect this was due to what I said above.

thats unfortunate, as the storm passed my location i witnessed a few visible cloud to cloud forks and a few cg , the cg's sounded boomy, the cc's sounded more crackley, and the mamatus formations where impressive, the second cell over warrington way displayed more visible strikes but more distant, and were every 30 secs or so and went on for an hour !

Posted

Think it might be all quiet for us today now. Quite a interesting afternoon though

Posted

Best storm here since 2nd July 2006 storm. The hail part of the storm was tremendous, rivers of hail down the road, car thermometer down to 7.5C. Lasted about 5 minutes, the hailstorm. The thunder was constant and loud with deep rumbling and lasted about 50 minutes. Rain was torrential and came in fluxes causing a lot of local flooding. Certainly 29th August 2012 will stick in my mind.

Posted

Are there any apps on android market that enable me to listen to sferics? I'm intrigued.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

The storm that many people had in Manchester started it's life right where I was in south Wirral. At first it didn't look particularly threatening, but the clouds developed and the first crash of thunder happens, very loud. Then I could hear it as it rumbled its way E/NE. Very good thunderstorm, and the first Ive actually heard this year.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Saw CG lightning earlier.. torrential rain.. that was it though. The most noticeable thing though is the all in temperature.. currently 10.8C, but fell to 10.3C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

The storm that many people had in Manchester started it's life right where I was in south Wirral. At first it didn't look particularly threatening, but the clouds developed and the first crash of thunder happens, very loud. Then I could hear it as it rumbled its way E/NE. Very good thunderstorm, and the first Ive actually heard this year.

Stephen, I'll let you beat me in the Angry Birds tournament if you can magic me up a storm? Deal?

Posted

Are there any apps on android market that enable me to listen to sferics? I'm intrigued.

I don't think so but the NW radar works on Android so maybe use that? I can't vouch for this one but:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=nz.gen.skywatcher.storm

Posted

I don't think so but the NW radar works on Android so maybe use that? I can't vouch for this one but:

https://play.google....kywatcher.storm

Thanks for your reply. I use Blitzortung on my mobile when away from the computer as it alerts me when a strike is within a range that I set. What would be cool though is if NW had an app on Android! Now that would be very cool!

Posted

The storm was immense here at the Trafford centre, lightning was so bright I could see it out of my shop through the mall! Rain was making a racket and so was the thunder which I had never heard before here as the roof is glass.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

At Thunder Bolt

Just use an AM radio. The more powerful the radio, the longer the range.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

No storms here but plenty of rain. Storm did pass to the North West of us I guess that visited Leeds.

Posted

Another heavy shower and quite dark. Obviously still enough juice in the atmosphere

Posted

Brewing up some good convection here, watch it kick off someone else sad.png

seems to have been a fairly regular thing this summer - storms brew up in the west and mature and perform in the east

Posted

I was still watching todays warrington/manchester storm as I drove home from ST Helens through Haydock and Golborne ,it was like one of those storm chase vids on the american dual carriaways across the plains, good storm that

I know its being greedy but is there still a chance for more in the north west this evening, been some large bubbling cumulus to my west,