Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Have You Turned Your Heating On Yet ?

stewfox

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Back door still wide open tonight smile.png

btw has anyone tried these new fanged things called clothes? They're great!

You either have a very hot house or a very low temperature tolerance! Here the back door stopped being wide open for any period once the temp dipped below 21c outside (so it hasn't been open much this year!) or the house simply goes down with it.

Heating has kept it a static 19.8c for past 6 hours which is spot on for a artificial heated room.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: ALL WEATHER, NOT THE PETTY POLITICS OF MODS IN THIS SITE

Nope, still no heating on yet at home. Dont really need the additional heat until daily temps are sustained below 12C outside for a run of a few days or more.....thats usually November before that starts to happen down here.

Yesterday was in shorts and no shirt cutting the hedge.....so nowhere near cold yet.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mild Spring , hot summer , crisp autumn and snowy cold winters

I feel the cold easily and have manged to just have it on in the morning for an hour, to get the house a more bareable 20c then at 5pm comes on for an hour too .

Posted

I used to be able to tolerate really cold houses, but as I've gotten older, I like it/need it warmer. Although the heating isn't on yet, we are lighting the woodburner every evening, and today I lit it before lunch. Lovely ...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unsual and Extreme

Put the heating on a couple of weekends ago, but only because my 80 year-old mum came to stay for a couple of nights. Turned it off as soon as she left though!

Posted

We have only had our heating on at night for an hour or two from around 6pm to 8pm. We never have it on during the day unless the outside temperature is less than 7 or 8c. Its been about 10-11c outside during the day for the last week or so, getting close!

Posted

Putting the heating on is becoming an unaffordable luxury with those private bandits putting up prices significantly , lets hope its a mild winter to save some lives

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Just turned my heating on for an hour to take the edge off.

12.7c dry.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Max today below 10C, heating definitely on.. lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

It's been on here for ages and it's been working fine until my boiler was serviced last week, since then it has been getting noisier every day so yesterday I called up British Gas to report it and book an engineer to re visit...but this morning I've woke up to a very cold house and no hot water cold.gif

Posted

We call these the 'golden hours' from about 9am till 11am where sunlight actually penetrates into the house and warms it. Struggling to see the screen & budgies are going crazy (they love it!) but refuse to block any of the precious radiation out as this is 'free' heating!

Ah, yes,free heat! That's what we call it too!

Mind you, the only other heating we have is a fan heater and a convector heater as we are waiting to have the central heating system installed.

It was fun (not) last Monday when all the windows were taken out to be replaced......the rain was being blown in, along wih the cold!

During the evening, we stand the fan heater in the hallway and turn it around from time to time to give each room a good old blast of heat (it is a bungalow) and we wear so many layers of clothing that my daughter and I look like Michelin men ladies. help.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Heating def on now!

In mornings I heat to about 18c which is enough to allow you to just about function in the dark getting up for work.

Evenings I heat to around 20.5-21c which is comfortable. Do notice the colder it gets out the warmer we want the house to be. In summer the house easily stands at 18c-20c but it feels fine. In winter that'd feel chilly after a while of sitting so prefer 20-21c. Perhaps down to the greater circulation of air from the colder parts of the house and the much more rapid loss from windows, walls etc.

Doesn't matter how much you heat in winter - its never 'warm' as such. Same as Felix's spacesuit doesn't make it comfortable up there!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

I have hot water and warm radiators again thanks to the very nice man from British Gasclap.gif

...hopefully the boiler won't play up again this winter and although I was cold this morning it could have been so much worse if it had happened in the grip of winter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow deprived so anything white.

Doing a day to check how much gas we use normally without heating so I can than have an idea of what it will cost when i turn it on. Shared old Victorian house so warming it up is a pain. G/f who also lives in the house is not happy with me depriving her of heat but someone needs to be in control.

Posted

G/f who also lives in the house is not happy with me depriving her of heat but someone needs to be in control.

That's the spirit! The woman snuck the heating on in here today but it was knocked off sharpish, I can tell you. She can sulk and moan all she likes; I ain't having it. Heating on in October?? What's the world coming to?

Posted

That's the spirit! The woman snuck the heating on in here today but it was knocked off sharpish, I can tell you. She can sulk and moan all she likes; I ain't having it. Heating on in October?? What's the world coming to?

If I can hang on till November I will be very happy with my achievement... but probably single. So swings and roundabouts.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

If I was living with either one of you all hell would break loose.. I think chairs would be flying out of the window lol

Edited by Aaron

Posted

If I had the same attitude I'd certainly not be getting married next year! (and I'd be cold too)

Posted

Sometimes you have to draw a line in the sand and plant your flag.. i decided my matter of principle would be over the central heating nonono.gif and I live in Plymouth.. it's practically sub-tropical!

I do provide free hugs and even a hot water bottle if required.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

I never knew heating could be a feminist issue! Women turn your heating on! Hehe.

Posted

Sometimes you have to draw a line in the sand and plant your flag.. i decided my matter of principle would be over the central heating nonono.gif and I live in Plymouth.. it's practically sub-tropical!

I do provide free hugs and even a hot water bottle if required.

I send mine out gardening or shovelling snow. Failing that I'll throw her one of my thick sweaters. I don't know, must be going soft in my old age. Giving women free reign over the heating ( and it is somewhat of a sex issue as they always seem to be cold unless it's about 40C outside) is all well and good until there's no cash left for snap (that's food, for the commoners amongst y'all).

Posted

I send mine out gardening or shovelling snow. Failing that I'll throw her one of my thick sweaters. I don't know, must be going soft in my old age. Giving women free reign over the heating ( and it is somewhat of a sex issue as they always seem to be cold unless it's about 40C outside) is all well and good until there's no cash left for snap (that's food, for the commoners amongst y'all).

lol.. I am practically chivalrous in comparison.

post-10773-0-87625700-1350453178_thumb.j

What a lovely picture.. and they say romance is dead

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Heating def on now!

In mornings I heat to about 18c which is enough to allow you to just about function in the dark getting up for work.

Evenings I heat to around 20.5-21c which is comfortable. Do notice the colder it gets out the warmer we want the house to be. In summer the house easily stands at 18c-20c but it feels fine. In winter that'd feel chilly after a while of sitting so prefer 20-21c. Perhaps down to the greater circulation of air from the colder parts of the house and the much more rapid loss from windows, walls etc.

Doesn't matter how much you heat in winter - its never 'warm' as such. Same as Felix's spacesuit doesn't make it comfortable up there!

wow you must really feel the cold!?

We had the heating on for 4 hours yesterday to drag the house back up to the mid teens as it was getting a little silly but I would have the sniffles and be sneezing if it was as hot as 20c! Think you just get used to a lower temperature over time? Heating is off again today though as house is holding at around 16c. Then this evening it will probably go on for around an hour if it drops below 15c during the day.

While I am at work however I do keep the heating on all day as its not my money... blum.gif

Posted

wow you must really feel the cold!?

We had the heating on for 4 hours yesterday to drag the house back up to the mid teens as it was getting a little silly but I would have the sniffles and be sneezing if it was as hot as 20c! Think you just get used to a lower temperature over time? Heating is off again today though as house is holding at around 16c. Then this evening it will probably go on for around an hour if it drops below 15c during the day.

While I am at work however I do keep the heating on all day as its not my money... blum.gif

I don't feel the cold much to be honest (always last one to put his coat on!) especially when moving around. If you think I feel the cold god knows what you'd think of my ex colleague!

But sitting for long periods on the computer in the evening at 16c or lower - even with a coat on - results in cold hands & feet. You can't put gloves on and still type see :lol: If I'm cooking, doing house work etc then I'll not heat but you can't sit at those temps for too long.

Also if I don't heat the house it fills with condensation from showers/cooking/air which results in mould forming, especially in the bedroom.

The missus has asthma so keeping her in a cold & mould filled house would not be a good plan.

And finally how do you dry your washing in a cold house? If I leave mine when the house is cold it just sits there wet eventually stinking like a damp dog. Have to heat so I can spend half the weekend rotating & spreading it across the various radiators - vary labourious in comparison to the easy days of summer when it can go outside for a couple of hours.