Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Southwest And Central Southern England - Regional Discussion

Jane Louise

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Fantastic to see some West Country snow, although nothing here in Bristol. Here's a BBC slideshow of some of it:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-20197535

There was some heavy falling snow in Longwell Green around 6am - 8.30am ish but unfortunately it didn't settle.

Was nice to watch nevertheless.

Edited by AWD

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Been out with the dogs, headed up to Priddy as it's always guaranteed to get more snow than here, it's nigh on a 1000ft asl - surprised to see there was less than at home. I think we just got lucky as there's generally less snow out towards the highest tops of the Mendips. We went cross country, skirting across the A37 and A39, both of which were shut with back logs of traffic, a lorry had jack knifed on the A37 just outside Shepton Mallet but I've no idea why the A39 was shut, although we did see a Transit which had just been tipped back up the right side after flipping over. A fair few tree limbs down over the roads which probably accounts for the power cut here earlier. All in all, a lovely surprise on a Sunday morning and the heaviest snow I can remember on trees still with leaf cover.

post-6280-0-84255200-1352035951_thumb.jp

post-6280-0-36992000-1352035973_thumb.jp

post-6280-0-33780900-1352035990_thumb.jp

post-6280-0-26801100-1352036007_thumb.jp

post-6280-0-48993300-1352036025_thumb.jp

Posted

There was some heavy falling snow in Longwell Green around 6am - 8.30am ish but unfortunately it didn't settle.

Was nice to watch nevertheless.

Ahh - thanks AWD, probably did snow here, then, but I was ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ around that time. Dammit, never even saw it coming!! And I checked the NAE yesterday but only for ppn levels as we had the local fireworks display in Winterbourne last night. Should have checked these boards yesterday!! Did notice a considerable temperature drop last night and should have paid better attention smile.png

Nice to see that Ian Ferguson hinted at the possibilities and GTLThisweather also made a good call.

Edit: Nice pics Jethro

Edited by kumquat

Posted

Brightened up here now with the sun making an appearance.

Although further showers currently spinning around the LP to the SE of Ireland look like heading up the Bristol Channel later affecting many parts of the West Country again.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Brightened up here now with the sun making an appearance.

Although further showers currently spinning around the LP to the SE of Ireland look like heading up the Bristol Channel later affecting many parts of the West Country again.

Yes they look like sticking towards the coastline i think with only lighter showers for west country so I'm not convinced anything wintry will come of these. Steady thaw now in place and probably melted about an inch so far. I expect a little may survive til morning but hard to sayand if we get rain on top it wont last long.

Posted

rofl.gifrofl.gif

"Bath and North East Somerset (Banes) Council said it had been caught unaware because no snow was forecast." How can they say that when there was a risk of it albeit small in all the forecasts for region??

Had they gritted last night it would have got washed away by the heavy rain before the snow started, and they will never grit while it's still raining for obvious reasons. So it was a tricky one all round!

Perhaps a good job it happened on a Sunday and not a work day!

We ended up with a brief full cover in Warminster before it turned back to sleet as precipitation eased off. The sun then came through quickly by 11.00 and

everything thawed in no time - been a lovely bright, cold day since!

Posted

It's melted a lot less than I expected, still got complete cover in the garden and the dripping from the eaves has stopped, it should be fun in the morning if it freezes. Are we due any more rain/snow overnight?

Posted

It's melted a lot less than I expected, still got complete cover in the garden and the dripping from the eaves has stopped, it should be fun in the morning if it freezes. Are we due any more rain/snow overnight?

Not too sure really... there is a very intense slow moving area of ppn moving through channel which i think might have enough potency to turn to snow but i think its going to miss us jeth and hit west mendip so priddy may catch us up after all.

Posted

Not too sure really... there is a very intense slow moving area of ppn moving through channel which i think might have enough potency to turn to snow but i think its going to miss us jeth and hit west mendip so priddy may catch us up after all.

The Edge of that band has been Hitting Weston for the last hour or So , Trying to work out if it will Move all the way acoss or just head East, although the GFS has showers continuing until Morning. Due points are to high for Snow at the moment so you need to keep an eye on the live reports to see if they drop.

Posted

There's some Milder air currently heading up from the far SW , For example it is 10 Deg in Exeter and only 5 deg in Bristol , it is also dragging up some strong winds. The Low pressure is just SW of Cornwall and as it moves East through the channel overnight it may drag some PPN with it and I think that is where GFS is getting the continuing heavy showers from. As the low moves East across the Channel 850's and due points should fall behind it. so 850's around 1deg by Midnight and -2 by 6am. Any Snow that does fall is likely to be localized , but after this mornings event I would still say it is just about possible, where as before what happened this morning I would have been saying no chance. :)

Edited by snowmadchrisuk

Posted

The Edge of that band has been Hitting Weston for the last hour or So , Trying to work out if it will Move all the way acoss or just head East, although the GFS has showers continuing until Morning. Due points are to high for Snow at the moment so you need to keep an eye on the live reports to see if they drop.

I hope it isn't just heavy rain that will put a dent in my snow and sid the snowman cray.gif Should find out in next half hour.

Temperature is hovering around 2c

Posted

I hope it isn't just heavy rain that will put a dent in my snow and sid the snowman cray.gif Should find out in next half hour.

Temperature is hovering around 2c

Yes , Will all depend on the Wind direction I guess, there a mess at the minute , E in Bristol , South in Dorset , SW in Devon So obviously there going round the low pressure ., I think as the low pushes South it should pivit some PPN over our areas .

Posted

Well I'm very pleased to see so many of you get a decent snowfall this morning. Must admit I was rather suprised by some of the accumulations achieved. Very impressive for early November indeed. Lets hope that it's a sign of things to come over the next few months!

Posted

It's drizzling here sorry.gif

Posted

Torrential downpour a minute ago. Lots of minor flooding on the roads, especially when I went up to Yate earlier.

Feels bitter out there too.

Posted

would better if it was snizzling biggrin.png

Or better still, blizzarding....

Posted

It's drizzling here sorry.gif

Just had abit of light sleet, we need it to be heavy to see if it can snow, decent sized shower not far away though jeth but if thats rain or sleet i'll throw the towel in for today hi.gif

Posted

Just had abit of light sleet, we need it to be heavy to see if it can snow, decent sized shower not far away though jeth but if thats rain or sleet i'll throw the towel in for today hi.gif

Just looked at the radar, there's a big blob heading our way but I think it's too warm for anything but rain. Never mind, we had a lovely surprise today, snow when most had rain and it's only the 4th November.

Posted

Yep, noticed it on the NAE on Friday, proved to be correct.

UKMO-UKV turned out to be the closest solution with prognosis for locally 5-10cm; back on Fri we called for 10% chance but low track was v uncertain as was ppn intensity in any one spot to lower WBFL. Tricky forecast per square mile of region to get right, but good UKMO models spotted it all by Fri and no others did...