Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Southwest And Central Southern England - Regional Discussion

Jane Louise

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms in the summer, frost fog & snow in winter.

and to think some people think the south west/west country isn't a good place to be for snowfall, the events over the past 12 hours has proved otherwise.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow deprived so anything white.

Just drove back from taunton over Dartmoor. Not a white patch to be seen. Or a flake. Drizzle mostly Temps on the top about 3.5 on the car

nasty Rain storm as I got off the moors at burrator though.

cracking herd of Dartmoor ponies in the way just after mortonhampstead too. Do love the moors.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms in the summer, frost fog & snow in winter.

A great explanation of wh it snow for some and not for others: http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/features/20199175

that clip shows quite clearly how unlucky my location was and surrounding areas like Bristol etc, we may have seen some falling snow but the really heavy precipitation was a tad further east which helped to cool the temperature even more and no doubt aided in the snow settling in those areas.

Edited by Smartie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together

Well what an interesting day I feel for our region. I was on the south coast and woke up to some torrential rain and strong gusts. Cold, wet and terribly bitterly cold this morning thereafter and then at about 1pm out came the sun to a beautiful day. Cold crisp evening settling in. Back to Newbury and I can see lots of surface water and it feels warmer. Then I find out 25 miles down the road there has been wet snow and the sw is suffering from flood risk from the thaw!

The shipping news gave some interesting Forecast too. Force 7 and 8 for Wight and Dover northeasterly . Gale force 9 at times.

It is no wonder us British like to talk about the weather.... Always surprising us! What is next soon... :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

I think I may well have to open the curtains and watch those lamp-posts, is it going to be my lucky evening? Whilst it will surely only be a temporary event with warmer air following on behind, I hope you lot don't begrudge me some action. clapping.gif

post-7183-0-38307000-1352062214_thumb.pn

Currently 2.1c AT after a max of just 4.9c, 1.2c DP and ESE wind, so all in all, it's very borderline for wintry precip

Posted

I think I may well have to open the curtains and watch those lamp-posts, is it going to be my lucky evening? Whilst it will surely only be a temporary event with warmer air following on behind, I hope you lot don't begrudge me some action. clapping.gif

Currently 2.1c AT after a max of just 4.9c, 1.2c DP and ESE wind, so all in all, it's very borderline for wintry precip

Well I for one hope you see something. Currently the temp in my garden is 2.3C and as I am only half a mile from the sea no chance of any snow here tonight. Newbury could get something perhaps. I will check on here tomorrow to see if you got anything.

Edited by coldfingers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

TBH Tony, those showers are fizzling out as they make inroads inland, you'd need elevation and plenty of evap cooling to bring the snow level down....rain, I'm afraid me thinks

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Well I for one hope you see something. Currently the temp in my garden is 2.3C and as I am only half a mile from the sea no chance of any snow here tonight. Newbury could get something perhaps. I will check on here tomorrow to see if you got anything.

Good to see you back in here CF. drinks.gif

Posted

TBH Tony, those showers are fizzling out as they make inroads inland, you'd need elevation and plenty of evap cooling to bring the snow level down....rain, I'm afraid me thinks

I was looking at the radar and was thinking they are doing exactly the opposite, but you may well be right. sorry.gif I'm trying not to be greedy, just a snowflake or two in the wind would be fine. acute.gif

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted

Good to see you back in here CF. drinks.gif

Thanks gotto, been volcano forum watching through the summer but now winter draws on wink.png so I am back lurking here again.

As expected, as the showers get closer to me the temp is slowly rising. Now 3C so may get a bit of drizzle!

Edited by coldfingers

Posted

Another year spent hiding in the shadows. It’s about time to come back into the winter light. Shame we missed out in Stroud but stayed in Bristol last night and drove through sleety showers up the A46 this morn! Fantastic to see something this early. Thank you Ian for the heads up :-) for all those who got a dusting enjoy :-) Hope we all see something good this year in the southwest.

Posted

Hello everyone smile.png

It's that time of year again when I come to find you lot biggrin.png

I missed the last snowfall as I don't get up that early but I saw some on the cars and was a bit shocked as I had no idea it was expected!

Anyway, I am sure I will be lamp post watching with the rest of you in the weeks to come if the rumours I have been hearing are correct... Gonna have a read through the last few pages to catch up, before I go to bed.

Forgot to say, 0.6c here

Edited by Sungirl

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Sorry me and jeth had your quota for this winter rofl.gifgood.gif

As for these showers I just don't think any are prolonged enough or heavy enough to be fair, if anything they are damaging my chance of a second snow laying chance as its thawing my current layer! diablo.gif

Posted

Sitting here in my holiday chalet at Norton Grange on the IOW, I can hear deep booms of thunder every couple of minutes. Not sure where from, but loud thunder from something big!

Posted

Sorry me and jeth had your quota for this winter rofl.gifgood.gif

As for these showers I just don't think any are prolonged enough or heavy enough to be fair, if anything they are damaging my chance of a second snow laying chance as its thawing my current layer! diablo.gif

I think you and AJ are possibly both going to be right but I live in hope. drinks.gif

Posted

Sitting here in my holiday chalet at Norton Grange on the IOW, I can hear deep booms of thunder every couple of minutes. Not sure where from, but loud thunder from something big!

It's coming in from the Dorset side of the English Channel ans is crossing the IOW with the sferics showing up to your south on the latest radar. good.gif

Well done on that one.

Posted

Excellent cheers for the info, wifi/3G is rather limited to say the least to keep up to date with info! Storm must of lost electrical energy once it hit the island. No thunder heard since last update. I must say though I might move from Somerset to the IOW. It seems great for convective activity, more lightning seen here over this weekend than most of the year inland back home!!

Posted
Posted

Indeed, that does make things even more complicated when looking towards the future. I'm not brave enough to complain about the radar, maybe you can a word with Paul, rofl.gif but yes I had noticed that in recent days. Meteorology often makes fools of us mere humans, that's why folk shouldn't really attack the MetO as climate processes become far too complicated for computer models too.

First of all may I say how wonderful it was to see some of the scenes down in that part of the world this morning!

GTLTW you bring up an interesting point and one which im afraid I must conflict with the conclusion of.

I wont go into great detail but I feel the shortcomings in the Met Office forecasting still surround their inability to second-guess their own models. We know there are limitations to what they can account for, and for me the two biggest ones have always been convection and evaporative cooling.

Now obviously I don't have access to their full suite (UK4, MOGREPS etc), but based purely upon the NAE last night I issued a forecast elsewhere mentioning the risk of some heavy snowfall particularly to elevation. I will admit it came a little further south that I had expected, but the point is that I produced such a forecast by specifically examining the effect (or lack of effect in this instance) that the very intense precipitation rates shown were having on surface and dew point temperatures, and in this instance it appeared to be very little.

So I do feel in this instance that they do deserve a little bit of a dressing down. What I will say is full credit to Ian who has been mentioning this risk (albeit a low risk) for a few days

Kind Regards

SK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Well nothing much has come of the showers today after the main course this morning.

However I shall keep you all up to date with sids progress over the coming days, may he live a long and happy life! rofl.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Heavy snowfall in Bath. Maybe an inch or two smile.png

Nice to see you had snowfall mate, just rain here in Oxford,bit sleety towards the end. Are you in Bath for winter?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Hot Sun (but not at the same time!) 57m asl

Heaviest rainfall here in the country at 30mm for 24 hours.

If only it had been snow!