Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Southwest And Central Southern England - Regional Discussion

Jane Louise

Posted

So jealous of you who got snow, as I've just been listening to stormy rain all night in south-west London. Just read from Ian Fergusson and BBC Somerset that the Buckland Dinham-Radstock road is causing problems for lorries due to heavy snow. Mixed feelings - was in Radstock last week for aunt's wedding anniversary, but might not have made it this week if the road was blocked. Funnily enough my son said this morning 'I want some snow', to which I replied 'Well, we'll just have to visit nanny and grandad'! Of course if the road becomes clear, then it means the snow has melted, so I guess we're not doing the two-hour snow chase after all!

Posted

Amazed at all the snow reports from the southwest ..... Did anyone predict this?

Yes. NAE and mention on the Meto site.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

pretty much done and dusted here now, as the system spirals away to the east... A nice way to start a sunday, huge snowflakes at one time....a thin covering of snow eventually, which is now thawing rapidly...All in all, a cracking start to the winter season!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Amazed at all the snow reports from the southwest ..... Did anyone predict this?

Yes. NAE and mention on the Meto site.

Whilst I don't want to blow my own trumpet, I too had a slight inkling as shown here if not before as per this post , Of course, the professionals i.e. Ian F's post from yesterday, also highlighted the risk as I suspect did a few others.

Interesting times ahead too, with both milder and cooler airmasses having a right ole fight over the UK in the coming weeks. friends.gif

Posted

nice surprise for most , Sleet/snow was falling around 5am in Weston Super mare, but we were never going to get anything decent from this as were at sea level. Bristol / Bath , down through Dorset all received a good couple of hours worth of Snow though. The main issues this has thrown up is like wow it was only -1/-2 850's and the Netweather preciptype radar needs some serious work. Put's JH's will it snow guides up the spout though lol.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Whilst I don't want to blow my own trumpet, I too had a slight inkling as shown here if not before as per this post , Of course, the professionals i.e. Ian F's post from yesterday, also highlighted the risk as I suspect did a few others.

Interesting times ahead too, with both milder and cooler airmasses having a right ole fight over the UK in the coming weeks. friends.gif

I wonder if there is any chance of seeing snow from showers later on?

The risk was mentioned however I think it was much more widespread than meto thought. remember Ian saying only 10% chance for cotswolds and wiltshire uplands etc and it also settled pretty easy on the ground once it came.

Temperature is holding nice and low still with ground frost setting in to snow cover in shade now it's clear. 1.9c My snowman may survive the day afterall friends.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: action weather

here on west mendip hvy rain turned to wet snow about 7.30 this morning ,nothing settled but hills above 500 ft turned white . flakes were v big , an interesting day coming up as v hvy showers develope later . must admit i got all excited .drinks.gif

Posted

The risk was mentioned however I think it was much more widespread than meto thought. remember Ian saying only 10% chance for cotswolds and wiltshire uplands etc and it also settled pretty easy on the ground once it came.

Temperature is holding nice and low still with ground frost setting in to snow cover in shade now it's clear. 1.9c My snowman may survive the day afterall friends.gif

I mentioned this yesterday , as we head into tonight I haven't checked the latest NAE yet , but yesterday was Showing 850's remaining about the same and some Heavy showers continuing into tomorrow morning. Although I think the main cause of this mornings Snow was intensity and evap cooling.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fair to Foul...

Watched the snowfall from 07:30 this morning.First it was sleet then rain..09:00 The snow dwindled but left everything covered.4.8c.now...Sun has gone behind the clouds..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

nice surprise for most , Sleet/snow was falling around 5am in Weston Super mare, but we were never going to get anything decent from this as were at sea level. Bristol / Bath , down through Dorset all received a good couple of hours worth of Snow though. The main issues this has thrown up is like wow it was only -1/-2 850's and the Netweather preciptype radar needs some serious work. Put's JH's will it snow guides up the spout though lol.

Indeed, that does make things even more complicated when looking towards the future. I'm not brave enough to complain about the radar, maybe you can a word with Paul, rofl.gif but yes I had noticed that in recent days. Meteorology often makes fools of us mere humans, that's why folk shouldn't really attack the MetO as climate processes become far too complicated for computer models too.

Posted

Anywhere with existing cover should benefit but I'll suggest folk go by actual observations later on. Temperatures, Dewpoints, 850s and precipitation levels will all need looking at, as ever. drinks.gif

Where is Gibby, he's from Radstock, I demand some information from you. rofl.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Anywhere with existing cover should benefit but I'll suggest folk go by actual observations later on. Temperatures, Dewpoints, 850s and precipitation levels will all need looking at, as ever. drinks.gif

Where is Gibby, he's from Radstock, I demand some information from you. rofl.gif

rofl.gifrofl.gif

"Bath and North East Somerset (Banes) Council said it had been caught unaware because no snow was forecast." How can they say that when there was a risk of it albeit small in all the forecasts for region??

Posted

rofl.gifrofl.gif

"Bath and North East Somerset (Banes) Council said it had been caught unaware because no snow was forecast." How can they say that when there was a risk of it albeit small in all the forecasts for region??

Perhaps they should get more tuned in into the weather forums and then they would be kept up to date. As for later on, snowmadchris has nailed it and judging by the latest radar, more is indeed heading our way and the uppers aren't budging yet. At least, we've cooled down here now with Temps sitting at 3.3c, however the pressure risen quite rapidly so maybe things are still up in the air. If this lot freezes tonight, then it will be hell on the roads, so folks should take extra care.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

rofl.gifrofl.gif

Aye Mullender...But, if Town Councils, everywhere, 'scrambled their interceptors' every time there was a 10% risk of snow, they'd waste all their grit before Christmas...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow deprived so anything white.

I'm in taunton at the moment and just showers here. But great to see the south west had some decent snow. Enjoy it guys!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms in the summer, frost fog & snow in winter.

nice early snowfall for many in the west country, even in 2010 we didn't see the first snowfall here until the end of November, not bad at all considering the met only gave it a small 10% chance and then only on the highest ground!

Can't wait for winter proper to set in, perhaps this winter will be better than 2010.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

nice early snowfall for many in the west country, even in 2010 we didn't see the first snowfall here until the end of November, not bad at all considering the met only gave it a small 10% chance and then only on the highest ground!

Can't wait for winter proper to set in, perhaps this winter will be better than 2010.

Funnily enough in terms of snowfall I wouldn't get against it. Here in Bristol the 2010/2011 winter wasn't great for snow, we had about 2cm in December and a couple of other light flurries and that was it. It was a very cold December, but not very snowy.

Posted

r.e. Tonight , I'm not sure as 850's rise towards Midnight , but then drop off again in the early hours , So if the showers remain Intense then Mendips could see something in the early hours. Following that we should expect a warm up next week with a couple of Sunshine and Shower days , followed by a return to Cold and Unsettled next Weekend. Then as we get into the last half of the Month things could really start to get excited . The solid Greenland block is the best setup for SW England as we benefit from Systems trying to push in from the Channel , and in any breakdown we get the PPN first, which often stalls and is the heaviest over our region.

Posted

Funnily enough in terms of snowfall I wouldn't get against it. Here in Bristol the 2010/2011 winter wasn't great for snow, we had about 2cm in December and a couple of other light flurries and that was it. It was a very cold December, but not very snowy.

2010 in Weston Super Mare just down the road in the Week before Christmas , We had at least 6 Inches of lying Snow at Sea level. Not sure about Bristol but for Weston it was one of the Heaviest Snowfalls ever.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

2010 in Weston Super Mare just down the road in the Week before Christmas , We had at least 6 Inches of lying Snow at Sea level. Not sure about Bristol but for Weston it was one of the Heaviest Snowfalls ever.

Yes, Weston had that never-ending streamer that have some insane snowfall amounts in the seaside town.

Unfortunately it never got further north than the Backwell area.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms in the summer, frost fog & snow in winter.

Not sure about Bristol but for Weston it was one of the Heaviest Snowfalls ever.

not a scratch on Dec 81 though, had over a foot of lying snow at sea level :)

Posted

Yes, Weston had that never-ending streamer that have some insane snowfall amounts in the seaside town.

Unfortunately it never got further north than the Backwell area.

Yeah kind of the same rest of the year here , never ever stops raining in this town , even when other areas were in drought .That Bristol Channel is a constant Shower machine for here.

not a scratch on Dec 81 though, had over a foot of lying snow at sea level smile.png

hehe I was 1 Years old then and lived in Leicestershire at the time :)

Posted

I agree, here in Cardiff never seen so much snow must've had at least 12 inches!