Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Child Of Nadine (Karin) - Severe Weather Discussion

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder Storms. All extreme weather.

Rain now stopped in Ipswich and its as calm as a mill pond. Booooorrrrriiinnng!!! :) But...there are some very low black scudding clouds passing over. :) â˜â˜â˜â˜â˜

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

Very strange, the general direction of the low pressure system is coming from SSW, but the clouds I can see above me are coming from a ENE direction?

Posted

About 8mm of rain today since about 1pm. Certainly the wettest day of the month, but unspectacular so far. What you would expect from frontal rain this time of year.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

Very strange, the general direction of the low pressure system is coming from SSW, but the clouds I can see above me are coming from a ENE direction?

Dont forget the system is "spinning" in an anti-clockwise direction while the system itself moves up from the SW..

if your north of the system then the clouds will be moving from the east.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

I'd assume its because the surface winds are going around the center of the depression? Correct me if i'm wrong.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

If you think about it, I'm sure that is normal. acute.gif

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted

Winds are not the headline feature here and although not insignificant, pale when compared to the main threat of excessive rain

Posted

Dont forget the system is "spinning" in an anti-clockwise direction while the system itself moves up from the SW..

Yeah just thought of that one, I presume the lower cloud is moving from the East but the upper cloud is moving from the SW? When looking at the visible radar images on meteox it shows most of the upper cloud moving in a north-westerly direction probably obscuring the cloud below it.

Edited by Perfect Storm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

If you think about it, I'm sure that is normal. acute.gif

Beaten to it, best illustrated by a drawing but I'm no artist! anyone? search.gif

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

The depression is moving in from the SSW but any clouds associated with the system will be moving cyclonic within the anti-clockwise circulation of the depression.

Posted

The depression is moving in from the SSW but any clouds associated with the system will be moving cyclonic within the anti-clockwise circulation of the depression.

I should have really thought about it before commenting, makes perfect sense thank you! unsure.png

Posted

Yeah just thought of that one, I presume the lower cloud is moving from the East but the upper cloud is moving from the SW? When looking at the visible radar images on meteox it shows most of the upper cloud moving in a north-westerly direction probably obscuring the cloud below it.

It all depends on what the system is running into also.

In this case, Most of the stuff to its NE will be pushing NE with it, But as soon as you are more west of the storm then clouds will start to move from the East to west while the system itself moves NEwards.

Also yea as you mentioned, the clouds at different heights will be moving at different speeds and directions. If the clouds higher up are moving west at the same speed that the system moves NE then they will appear to be moving in a NE direction ( when they actually are moving westwards / counter clockwise )

Posted

Round 2 in the food mixer that is this low pressure system now coming up!

ASII_20120923_1600.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

The 12z GFS is perhaps slightly deeper on this run, down to 975mb - very windy weather with cyclonic strong to gale force winds for many areas of the UK. The exact track of the centre still uncertain but I have no doubts that this will be quite a nasty spell of weather nearly countrywide...... Bring it on biggrin.png

Edited by Liam J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Yep the wind direction here is now coming from the East so makes sense, i for a number of years wondered why that happened.

Posted

Channel 5 weather shows a little rain for the south tonight and tomorrow.

No mention of winds. They seemed to highlight the fact that its cooler than normal. But certainly painted a picture of an "ok" ish kind of weather picture..

Seems far removed from the charts and 60mm rainfall images?!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and Snow

Amber weathing warning issued here for heay rain and 60mph winds.

Edited by Barry95

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and Snow

Channel 5 weather shows a little rain for the south tonight and tomorrow.

No mention of winds. They seemed to highlight the fact that its cooler than normal. But certainly painted a picture of an "ok" ish kind of weather picture..

Seems far removed from the charts and 60mm rainfall images?!

Different story for the north according to BBC weather forecast.

Posted

So far the rain hasn't been particularly heavy here (pretty constant from 10am to 3pm at around 2mm/hr) and there has been a dry spell this afternoon, but this has now come to an end and it looks like our heaviest rain is on the way for the evening.

Edited by Stargazer