Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Cold Weather Chat and Ramping Thread

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

My favourite "snow moment" is typically when we get a heavy snow shower move in during those "sunshine and snow showers" setups, when the sun goes in, the sky darkens, the visibility drops abruptly and then the snowflakes start coming down- sometimes it can be pretty dramatic stuff. It also helps if snow cover is already established on the ground, as it makes things look very "different" and often enhances the dramatic nature of the weather when the snow showers move over.

Another favourite is when we get bright sunshine accompanied by a deep snow cover and all the trees and bushes being white. I find it pretty "cosy" feeling.

Re. clearing the snow away, it's a tricky one as sometimes clearing snow away from roads and paths makes it a lot easier for people to drive, walk and cycle around without slipping, as long as they don't use the "half-baked gritting" approach leaving ugly and dangerous patches of brown ice everywhere- but it does spoil the snowy landscape, especially when grit is involved. Generally the nearest green areas are best for experiencing a snowy wonderland.

My ideal winter is not dissimilar to the above- a fair number of snow events lasting for 3 to 6 days (perhaps one longer one over Christmas/New year) and the occasional briefer event thrown in there, but separated by mild interludes. It rarely happens in reality as such a winter would require an "episodic" type of synoptic pattern, whereas in reality certain synoptic patterns have a habit of persisting for long periods.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers and cold snowy winters

Great post, TWS! Really captures the amazing drama of snowfall... which I suppose is what all we coldies are after... It's the change in light, the colour of the sky and the total transformation of the mundane world around us. And signs are looking fairly positive that possibly we may be experiencing these this side of Christmas...

I do agree that it's fair enough to clear roads/public pathways - but my husband insists on clearing our garden! This February he did it before I was even up and out of bed to see it in all its untouched glory... he wasn't popular.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper seasonal weather but especially warm sunny summers.

But at work (where it matters most) it's only 63m asl. It's in the middle of one of those 7-7.5c bits - that tiny difference has a big impact early on in the season. As you know yourself, what we get up here on the tops of the Mendips is a world away from the weather at the bottom of them. Having said all of this, and despite my moaning, if I have to dig my way out for weeks on end, I'll be a happy bunny and whatever we wish for, the weather will do as it pleases. I did have a dream last week where the snow had drifted over the hedges and filled in all the lanes, that would make the drifts about 12 foot tall, wouldn't that be heavenly!

That reminds me of a time in my childhood, early 80's, 81/82? I went for a long walk in the snow with my Mum and brother. We were walking along a track towards the village we lived in when we realised that we had veered off of the track and were walking across the field. We had actually walked over the top of the hedge.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

ramping thread - why ramp when you can see the real thinggood.gif

http://webcam.saimanet.kg/

Living on a boat means I have to prepare well for cold weather, making sure I am moored somewhere handy when the canal finally freezes over. Three years ago I was iced in 1/4 mile from the station for 13 weeks (I usually have to move every 2 weeks) and two years ago I was iced in at Paddington basin Central London for a month (11 minutes from work). I therefore live on the weather forum at this time of year planning my freezing in spot.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Great post, TWS! Really captures the amazing drama of snowfall... which I suppose is what all we coldies are after... It's the change in light, the colour of the sky and the total transformation of the mundane world around us. And signs are looking fairly positive that possibly we may be experiencing these this side of Christmas...

I do agree that it's fair enough to clear roads/public pathways - but my husband insists on clearing our garden! This February he did it before I was even up and out of bed to see it in all its untouched glory... he wasn't popular.

That's got to be covered by 'unreasonable behaviour', I'd divorce him, just in case he did it again because then you'd be forced to shoot him instead.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers and cold snowy winters

Oh, surely if I did shoot him they'd let me off on the grounds of extreme mitigating circumstances?

It is strange though, he just doesn't understand what appeals about snow - to him it's just an obstacle in the way of his early-morning run and getting to work... Fortunately I have this forum to keep me sane through the winter months!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Oh, surely if I did shoot him they'd let me off on the grounds of extreme mitigating circumstances?

It is strange though, he just doesn't understand what appeals about snow - to him it's just an obstacle in the way of his early-morning run and getting to work... Fortunately I have this forum to keep me sane through the winter months!

I'd testify in your defence! Surely he can run all he wants without clearing the garden? Put it this way, if he cleared my garden, he'd better be a damn good runner....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Indeed- if someone kept clearing my garden whenever it snowed then I'd consider it as inconsiderate and violating "give and take" principles to say the very least (especially as when I get snow in my garden, it doesn't just look pretty, it gets used for recording Met Office "snow days" and building snowmen among other things). Fortunately I haven't had such an experience and doubt that I ever will!

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

Posted

That's got to be covered by 'unreasonable behaviour', I'd divorce him, just in case he did it again because then you'd be forced to shoot him instead.

I have a neighbour who takes it upon herself to clear everybodys paths before we even get up as she thinks its dangerous ...?im going to tell her to clear after its frozen thats dangerous.

Also i just wanted to tell someone one of my neighbours has put their christmas decs uo..thought my eyes were playing tricks..remind me what month are we in ?. Rant over.

Edited by itsnowjoke

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

I would be livid if someone cleared the snow off my garden - what is the point of that?! I always clear the snow off my path though.. it's easier to walk obviously, but it looks deeper when shoveled to the side!

Since I'm in a city, I prefer to see snow shoveled or plowed to the side, before it becomes all slushy and ugly due to cars/feet..

Similar to this:

5442249975_39eaeac20c_z.jpg

City Hall, Stockholm by EJC01, on Flickr

Edited by Aaron

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ice and snow, heat and sun!

I have a neighbour who takes it upon herself to clear everybodys paths before we even get up as she thinks its dangerous ...?im going to tell her to clear after its frozen thats dangerous.

Also i just wanted to tell someone one of my neighbours has put their christmas decs uo..thought my eyes were playing tricks..remind me what month are we in ?. Rant over.

She needs an ASBO - an anti snow blowing order!

Posted

She needs an ASBO - an anti snow blowing order!

Yes she does..if only there was such a thing :( A snow blowing order i mean

Edited by itsnowjoke

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

I like snow showers at night with moonlight reflecting off the anvils. Watching distant street lights disappear as snow approaches.

So do I but I tend to be too far South, can see them often to my north moving ESE, but with no snow on ground

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

So do I but I tend to be too far South, can see them often to my north moving ESE, but with no snow on ground

Ever thought of moving A few miles north LOL

C.S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall in particular but most aspects of weather, hate hot and humid.

Yes Kate 1 I,m afraid you must shoot him now before winter gets a hold for the good of us all. If he comes anywhere near my garden with his shovel I'll shoot him for you.

Edited by mcweather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Tonight's CPC 8-14 dayer, rock solid:

post-2478-0-42405500-1353356997_thumb.jp

Mentions stable blocking structures N. Pacific and N. Atlantic.

It should be noted that 12z operational ECM was too progressive wr/r/t N. Pacific (loses the ridge too quickly).

We should now be looking for slow evolution in this pattern. The high latitude ridges will be persistent with the tendency of the Pacific ridge to shift its position northward and westward in time supporting a full blown -AO phase later on. Our ridge in the Atlantic may wobble around, first NW towards Greenland for 5 days and back again for another five, potentially becoming part of a very strong -NAO phase mid December when the polar vortex will be under full scale attack. This phase hasn't even got into the model's range yet.

Weatherwise, becoming increasingly cold.

I think the bottom line here is.... read the bottom line. biggrin.png

Edited by Backtrack

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

I think the bottom line here is.... read the bottom line. biggrin.png

Thought you said it would be a mild winter LOLblum.gif

C.S

Posted

From what I read over in the Model thread, it is starting to look like it might actually be game on.... perhaps not for November or even early December, but the promise is there...

So what's your favourite 'snow moment'? When it starts tentatively falling from the sky? Lamppost watching? Or waking up in the morning to that weird unearthly light only heavy snowfall brings?

Personally I like snow best while it's actually falling and when it's first on the ground all pristine and unspoilt. It really hacks me off when people who don't 'get' the romance of snow (like my darling husband), get out there with the grit and snow shovel the second it's stopped falling and insist on clearing it all away... My ideal snowfall would be heavy for 24 hours or more, on the ground for 24/48 hours (so we can all get some sledging in), and then a rapid melt... Two or three clear days so we can resume normal lives... and then the same thing happening all over again. Right through the whole three months of winter! Oh well, I can dream...

mine are all of the above !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!clapping.gifrofl.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Thought you said it would be a mild winter LOLblum.gif

C.S

Might be, they were gp's words not mine haha.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

The clue is in Bt's name. :p He just gave what he thought was going to happen can quickly change. I was thinking a cold start to winter but my prediction has changed to colder.

Posted

Our neighbours put their decs up about a week ago. It wouldn't be as bad if they were actually nice lights, but they're not. I had to clean ice off my car on Sunday so it looks like we're slowly getting somewhere though this rain is a bit depressing.

Posted

Our neighbours put their decs up about a week ago. It wouldn't be as bad if they were actually nice lights, but they're not. I had to clean ice off my car on Sunday so it looks like we're slowly getting somewhere though this rain is a bit depressing.

Yes i hate naff lights someone had some red ones up at their window really red looked like a place for women of the night