Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Cold Weather Chat and Ramping Thread

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers

Those pics re stuff of my dreams...........

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

snowbaby.jpg

Maybe my new nephew would love a spot of skiing this season. wink.png

Edited by PerfectStorm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

When you work outside all year round like I do, cold and snow loses it's appeal after a few weeks. I've got an enormous wedding to plan and plant a garden for, could really do without a late, cold Spring. Snow and cold limited to the end of Feb at the latest is what I'm praying for, although I know I'll be in the minority looking for that kind of weather.

Actually I don't think you are in the minority - your position is similar to many! (work, weddings etc).

Posted

I'm not liking the look of that, by the time March gets here I'm longing for a bit of warmth and sunshine.

You might be looking in the wrong place for warmth in early March, unless you consider an average high of around 7-9C warm? The genuine warmth of late March this year was a record breaking, once in a blue moon anomaly. I won't be holding my breath for a repeat next year.

I too work outside year round and I must say that I am enjoying the mild weather currently, still comfortable wearing shorts. Personally I would take cold and snow in March and wait for the possibility of any proper warmth from about mid April onwards.

Posted

i want cold snow and all the trimmings pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

You might be looking in the wrong place for warmth in early March, unless you consider an average high of around 7-9C warm? The genuine warmth of late March this year was a record breaking, once in a blue moon anomaly. I won't be holding my breath for a repeat next year.

I too work outside year round and I must say that I am enjoying the mild weather currently, still comfortable wearing shorts. Personally I would take cold and snow in March and wait for the possibility of any proper warmth from about mid April onwards.

I'm not looking for t-shirt weather, just not wanting frozen ground, snow and harsh frost. Here in the SW with an average to warm March you can get a lot of things going in the greenhouse, the Apricot tree will be in full blossom any time from mid Feb - mid March, cloches on the veg patch would be warming the soil for an early crop too.

Posted

I'm not looking for t-shirt weather, just not wanting frozen ground, snow and harsh frost. Here in the SW with an average to warm March you can get a lot of things going in the greenhouse, the Apricot tree will be in full blossom any time from mid Feb - mid March, cloches on the veg patch would be warming the soil for an early crop too.

Are you not both posting in the wrong thread??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers and cold snowy winters

Bit off topic I know, but can anyone clarify for me what the difference is between this thread and the Upcoming Winter Chat thread - is it just that here we're allowed to ramp and there we aren't? Am a bit confused about where to post my snow-obsessed ramblings!

Edited by kate1

Posted

I think that Sir should be posting in the "I hate winter" thread. :)

Posted

Bit off topic I know, but can anyone clarify for me what the difference is between this thread and the Upcoming Winter Chat thread - is it just that here we're allowed to ramp and there we aren't? Am a bit confused about where to post my snow-obsessed ramblings!

This is the ramp it up thread. General what has the winter got in store for us is for the other thread. In here we can just be silly about the cold and no one can tell us off lol.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

I think that Sir should be posting in the "I hate winter" thread. smile.png

I think you will find sir,is a Missblum.gif

C.S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

im probably coming home for a few weeks over chrimbo and new year so it better be typically mild wet and windy..or else i shall be writing to the tourist board and complain

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

WRONG THREAD!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

WRONG THREAD!

its a reverse ramp!!!..or should i say mudslide?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

When you work outside all year round like I do, cold and snow loses it's appeal after a few weeks. I've got an enormous wedding to plan and plant a garden for, could really do without a late, cold Spring. Snow and cold limited to the end of Feb at the latest is what I'm praying for, although I know I'll be in the minority looking for that kind of weather.

I think your position is actually quite typical of most of the "all-year-round" contributors on this forum, though perhaps earlier in the season than most. As someone who welcomes northerlies with sunshine and snow showers all year round, I increasingly find myself in the minority as we head through March and into April, although as we saw in 2008, snow events continue to generate a lot of interest well into April.

Meanwhile, here's a snowy chart, albeit an ancient one, to stir up the appetite:

http://www.wetterzen...00118810120.gif

Can anyone find a more impressive one than that?

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme Events

Well after a few beers to celebrate Hamilton leading an F1 race and not breaking down for a change I was having a chat with a friend about the odds of various things which in turn led my brain into thinking about the weather. I am no expert with odds but take Hamilton this season. The odds of him breaking down in the next race are lower than they were at the first race because he has broken down frequently all year meaning certain conditions have changed in the time from the first race to now.

I've seen a lot of people saying in the model thread over the past week or so that the current potential cold spell is unlikely to be as severe as December 2010 because that was a 1 in 100 event. I am not saying it will happen again by any means but as the event happened recently, and before that we had early 2010 with a severe cold spell as well, would this make it more likely than 1 in 100 for it to happen again?

My thinking can summed up in this article on the BBC about double yokes in eggs

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-16118149

I think in summary of my slighty drunken ramblings - If conditions have changed in recent years for various reasons, solar activity, ice melt or whatever, and there have been a few recent example of severe cold events occurring then the chance of another severe event would be more likely than the previous one. Or have I got that completely wrong? I'm sure there are a lot of people with a better grasp of odds and maths than me, so I will happily stand corrected.

PS I didn't really know which thread to put this in, but as this one seems quite friendly, and the post is a kind of ramp in that it asks why can't 2010 happen again, I thought this would be the best place for it!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

I think your position is actually quite typical of most of the "all-year-round" contributors on this forum, though perhaps earlier in the season than most. As someone who welcomes northerlies with sunshine and snow showers all year round, I increasingly find myself in the minority as we head through March and into April, although as we saw in 2008, snow events continue to generate a lot of interest well into April.

Meanwhile, here's a snowy chart, albeit an ancient one, to stir up the appetite:

http://www.wetterzen...00118810120.gif

Can anyone find a more impressive one than that?

Rrea00119630206.gif

May not be as impressive visually, but I think this was the the 36 hour blizzard?

Edited by PerfectStorm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

I must say jeth I'm a little confused by the average to mild.... your at or abit higher than 200m in your location and if you look at the regional maps of meto your actualy in a pretty chilly place jeth rofl.gif

post-8911-0-20788700-1353293167_thumb.gi

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anticyclonic unless a snow storm

Formula_1_fan, I am convinced the ice melt is having a huge impact on weather patterns, delivering a succession of poor summers and (good news for the coldies) Arctic winter periods! I would say this winter stands a good chance of matching 08/09 at the least..

Posted

Why don't the MetO mapped regional averages colours match a consistent numerical value, rather than changing from region to region? The dark blue for the SW is probably equivalent to light red in northern Scotland. I know we can see the difference between the regions on the UK averages page but it would make more in depth comparisons between regions much easier.

Oh by the way, winter 2012/2013 will be the coldest on record, 90 foot snow drifts just outside Swindon, highs of -20C in the Scilly Isles etc etc

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

I must say jeth I'm a little confused by the average to mild.... your at or abit higher than 200m in your location and if you look at the regional maps of meto your actualy in a pretty chilly place jeth rofl.gif

post-8911-0-20788700-1353293167_thumb.gi

But at work (where it matters most) it's only 63m asl. It's in the middle of one of those 7-7.5c bits - that tiny difference has a big impact early on in the season. As you know yourself, what we get up here on the tops of the Mendips is a world away from the weather at the bottom of them. Having said all of this, and despite my moaning, if I have to dig my way out for weeks on end, I'll be a happy bunny and whatever we wish for, the weather will do as it pleases. I did have a dream last week where the snow had drifted over the hedges and filled in all the lanes, that would make the drifts about 12 foot tall, wouldn't that be heavenly!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Why don't the MetO mapped regional averages colours match a consistent numerical value, rather than changing from region to region? The dark blue for the SW is probably equivalent to light red in northern Scotland. I know we can see the difference between the regions on the UK averages page but it would make more in depth comparisons between regions much easier.

Oh by the way, winter 2012/2013 will be the coldest on record, 90 foot snow drifts just outside Swindon, highs of -20C in the Scilly Isles etc etc

I only live 20 miles east of Swindon. Wouldn't mind 5/6 foot drifts as long as we get decent snowfall again.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers and cold snowy winters

From what I read over in the Model thread, it is starting to look like it might actually be game on.... perhaps not for November or even early December, but the promise is there...

So what's your favourite 'snow moment'? When it starts tentatively falling from the sky? Lamppost watching? Or waking up in the morning to that weird unearthly light only heavy snowfall brings?

Personally I like snow best while it's actually falling and when it's first on the ground all pristine and unspoilt. It really hacks me off when people who don't 'get' the romance of snow (like my darling husband), get out there with the grit and snow shovel the second it's stopped falling and insist on clearing it all away... My ideal snowfall would be heavy for 24 hours or more, on the ground for 24/48 hours (so we can all get some sledging in), and then a rapid melt... Two or three clear days so we can resume normal lives... and then the same thing happening all over again. Right through the whole three months of winter! Oh well, I can dream...