Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Winter 2012/13 Pt 5... Expectations, Hopes And Wishes

Posted

This seems like the best thread to put this in, but mods please move if required.

I am hoping over the coming months to develop a few tools to solve a few requests/issues that people have when trying to access various tools, models and forecasts.

I've started with the most common ive seen which has been viewing the models on a mobile device, and so I'm happy to reveal to you the mobile chart viewer!

http://www.weathertools.co.uk

The mobile chart viewer is a more elegant and, hopefully, easy to use method of viewing the models on the go. This initial build has taken me some time to fine-tune, and its still not absolutely perfect, but I feel its in a state where I am happy to release to the public.

Sadly this initial build is most optimised for iOS devices. I won't go into the reasons for this right now (for fear of starting an android v iOS war), but I will be working on an android optimised version in the coming months.

That said this is not completely unusable on android. The differences are that whilst iOS users can navigate from the thumbnails view into a gallery view similar to that found on the photo's app within iOS itself, android users are only able to use the thumbnails view. Attempting to navigate into the gallery view from the thumbnails view will merely take you to the direct link for the chart. This will hopefully still be simpler than navigating full screen website displays of the models.

I have not been able to test this on other platforms (windows phone, blackberry etc.) due to the fact I have no access to such devices, and so any feedback on these platforms would be greatly appreciated (via PM).

For iOS users, there are two ways of navigating the charts once you have clicked through from the thumbnails view. The first option is to swipe the images from left to right, as you would to navigate in the Photo's app on iOS. The other is to use the two arrows at the bottom of the page. By using these arrows you are able to manually 'animate' each of the frames, making it easier to see the movement of various pressure areas. You can, of course, also zoom in and out by using pinch to zoom (believe it or not this was the most difficult resource to implement).

So I hope this is a useful tool for those on the go who cant resist a quick peek at the latest models. Any bugs/problems/suggestions are all welcomed, feel free to PM me, and enjoy viewing the models on the go!

All the best

SK

(p.s. you are likely to notice that the main website is currently a little bare - this will be improved over the coming months to provide more access to a wider range of data and forecasts)

Edited by snowking

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Blizzards, Hoarfrost, Frost and Extremes

Has everyone defected to the dailmail thread lol rofl.gif - can't believe how quiet it has been on here of late!

Posted

people have got bored just talking about snow i suppose, and now they want to see snow, i mean proper snow not what some saw on friday

not long to wait now, by mid nov anyone could see snow under decent synoptics, not just high ground or the north

Edited by Snowy Easterlies

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

I just want to see snow now.. a proper snowfall, not a slight dusting like I had on Saturday morning.

Edited by Aaron

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Blizzards possible for some areas if this was to verify.

h850t850eu.png

Only problem is of course, its 380 so it wont!!!

Edited by feb1991blizzard

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

That was on CFS not so long a go Feb1991B

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

h850t850eu.png12111300_2_2300.gif

now please have more confidence in the CFS model.

Posted

That was on CFS not so long a go Feb1991B

How long ago? Was it modelled in the same timeframe?

I really would not like to call November at this stage, the only good thing is i cant see it being really mild like last Nov, my anomaly CET range at this stage is +0.5 - -1.5, i will have a guess in the relevent thread at the last minute.

I think this is going to be a really hard winter to forecast, im no expert but iam usually opinionated one way or the other and prepared to nail my colours to the mast, not this time though altough i am really confident of a better one than last year though, how good remains to be seen.

EDIT : seen your post now, still not convinced about CFS though TBH.

Posted

The one after the CFS chart above is this below and both are the - Base Tue00GMT run.

12111312_2_2300.gif

Edited by ElectricSnowStorm

Posted

The CFS model has been hinting at a potent Arctic blast around mid Nov.

Posted

h850t850eu.png12111300_2_2300.gif

now please have more confidence in the CFS model.

Its a very good model for teleconnective patterns like ENSO etc, but for trying to pinpoint where will be on the right side of meridional spells of weather in the mid - Northern Lattitudes is asking too much at ranges like that, ive only really ever seen the GFS low res perform well consistently over a 2 week period once and that was late Nov - mid Dec 2010.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

Shall we see whether the Arctic blast in Mid-November actually comes off before praising the CFS on calling it? If it does indeed come off, then a big well done to the CFS, I think it's a little too early for celebratory toasts though.

Having said that, the trend for cooler weather within all models is still there with very little sign of a flat jet and raging zonality, with this in mind I'd say the chances of a mid-November cold spell as the models currently show is increased since it fits teleconnective patterns. Lets hope the trend for this outcome continues in the coming weeks.

Posted

laugh.png

Id prefer early December blocking, if i had a choice in the matter.

cfs-0-894.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

SnowKing, really impressed with your site! As someone who has an iPhone it can be some times hard to read through charts on IOS. Clever thinking and I'm sure many people will also find it useful.

In regards to this next potential blast, CFS was hinting at it a while back, but will it be right is another matter?! I hope it is :)

Edited by Mark 'Ox' Neal

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sun, Heat, Cold,T/storms via Spanish plumes *rare*

laugh.png

Id prefer early December blocking, if i had a choice in the matter.

cfs-0-888.png

It looks like your chart has updated doesn't look that great no more!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Wheres the deep depressions delivering the severe storm force winds? This is boring

I believe there is a big one terrorising the east coast of the USA!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Another tweet from Big Joe;

http://t.co/E9UapWdR

Attentiion UK.. snow on the way, at least according to the pest, the US GFS

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow

Oh dear me joe laminate floori is at it again with his snow warnings for us. When will he give it a rest.Looking at the next 10 days its looking wet and cool.Then further than that your into crystal ball territory. So i will be taking that with a huge pinch of salt. To be honest he is very much like mad piers corbyn certainley wouldnt bank on his winter doomsday been correct.