Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Alps 2012-13 Weather and Skiing Discussion Thread

J10

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow

Today is a good example of a set-up conducive to heavy snow over the eastern Italian Alps - eg Folgaria, Folgarida (and more generally the Dolomites) that were mentioned here last week.

post-18264-0-39967500-1361700813_thumb.g

Edited by weathertoski

Posted

Today is a good example of a set-up conducive to heavy snow over the eastern Italian Alps - eg Folgaria, Folgarida (and more generally the Dolomites) that were mentioned here last week.

thankyou, i am back now and had an amazing week, the snow was very deep there and 70cm of fresh snow had fallen the week before, also another 30 between thursday and friday.

Posted

thankyou, i am back now and had an amazing week, the snow was very deep there and 70cm of fresh snow had fallen the week before, also another 30 between thursday and friday.

Glad you had a great time and sorry about the confusion between Folgaria/Folgarida! Easy mistake to make!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy weather in winter. Dry and warm in summer.

Got back from Morzine in France on Saturday. Had an excellent week and the conditions were fantastic although it was pretty cold the last couple of days.

Would highly recommend the Portes du Soleil especially for mixed ability groups as there really is something for everyone. Enough to keep good skiers happy but lots of lovely cruising blues and reds for those of less ability. I found the ski area much better than La Plagne and probably on par with the Three Valleys.

Posted

Got back from Morzine in France on Saturday. Had an excellent week and the conditions were fantastic although it was pretty cold the last couple of days.

Would highly recommend the Portes du Soleil especially for mixed ability groups as there really is something for everyone. Enough to keep good skiers happy but lots of lovely cruising blues and reds for those of less ability. I found the ski area much better than La Plagne and probably on par with the Three Valleys.

Hi Snow White,

Yes this is one of my favourite areas in the Alps - learned to ski in Morzine in 1978! Totally agree that it is more interesting than La Plagne. You did have good snow though, and this isn't always the case here of course...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Looks like its going to warm up for my week away in Westendorf :( Disappointing after the epic snowfall and cold temps we've had recently.. but having said that I prefer slushy spring snow to ice any day :)

Not sure I'd book such a low resort again tho... I prefer being up the mountain! I really don't like getting rained on!

The ski blogs will return as normal tomorrow evening,

I have been skiing twice and both times to the Portes du Soleil, first time to Morzine, with trips to Avoriaz , the second time to Avoriaz on its own. Going both times in March, we had quite a lot of rain in Morzine, there is nothing worse than going to a ski resort in rain, despite there being ample snow cover.

This was the reason I started doing the blog a few winters back.

Edited by Jackone

Posted

I've been to Avoriaz twice, Morzine was slushy so we stayed up in Avoriaz most of the time. Only ever been rained on once, in Alpe D'Huez, boarded down from higher up into rain... got straight back on a lift and didn't come down til it had stopped! ick! really hope the forecasts change a bit as it looks like I could have my second experience of rain in Westendorf next week!

I've packed my trail shoes and waterproofs incase I need to go running to distract myself from the poor boarding conditions ;)

Time to update the figures again.

Wengen (Switzerland) 75cm/175cm [80cm/185cm], 15cm on 15 Feb, 33cm (L7), Excellent, Tracked (17 Feb)
Avoriaz (France) 280cm/320cm [285/325cm], 10cm on 15 Feb, 43cm (L7), Excellent, Tracked (17 Feb)
Kitzbuhel (Austria) 65cm/165cm [80cm/175cm], 15cm on 15 Feb, 21cm (L7), Excellent, Powder (17 Feb)
Borovets (Bulgaria) 150cm/190cm [129cm/170cm], 5cm on 14 Feb, 54cm (L7), Excellent, Fresh (15 Feb)
Couchavel (France) 153/224cm [153/220cmcm], 0cm [L3], Snow Type : Machine Groomed (17 Feb)
Cauterets (France) 465/590cm [450/560cm] 30cm [L3], Snow Type: Packed Powder (17 Feb)
Livigno (Italy) 63cm/202cm [65cm/198cm], 0cm [L3], Snow Type : Machine Groomed (17 Feb)
Westendorf (Austria) 95cm/165cm [90cm/160cm], 15cm [L3], Snow Type Powder/Powder (17 Feb)

Wengen (Switzerland) 60cm/140cm [75cm/175cm], 5cm on 24 Feb, 0cm (L7), Excellent, Tracked (2 March)
Avoriaz (France) 250cm/290cm [280cm/320cm], 5cm on 25 Feb, 5cm (L7), Good, Crud (2 March)
Kitzbuhel (Austria) 75cm/165cm [65cm/165cm], 10cm on 26 Feb, 10cm (L7), Good, Crust (2 March)
Borovets (Bulgaria) 120cm/190cm [150cm/190cm], 5cm on 26 Feb, 5cm (L7), Excellent, Fresh (1 March)
Couchavel (France) 140cm/204cm [153/224cm], 0cm [L3], Snow Type : Machine Groomed (3 March)
Cauterets (France) 470cm/590cm [465/590cm], 0cm [L3], Snow Type: Packed Powder (3 March)

Livigno (Italy) 70cm/205cm [63cm/202cm], 0cm [L3], Snow Type : n/a (1 March)
Westendorf (Austria) 100cm/170cm [95cm/165cm, 0cm [L3], Snow Type Powder (3 March)

Posted

The ski blogs will return as normal tomorrow evening,

I have been skiing twice and both times to the Portes du Soleil, first time to Morzine, with trips to Avoriaz , the second time to Avoriaz on its own. Going both times in March, we had quite a lot of rain in Morzine, there is nothing worse than going to a ski resort in rain, despite there being ample snow cover.

This was the reason I started doing the blog a few winters back.

Yep - despite my affection for Morzine, it remains one of the highest risk resorts for rain in the Alps! I have an article on my site "avoiding rain" but in a nutshell, aim for high resorts set deep in the central or south-eastern Alps further away from the influence of the Atlantic - eg St Moritz and Obergurgl. Here rain is vritually unheard of in mid-winter whereas in the northern french Alps it has been known to rain to 2500m or higher, even in January.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

Had a great time in Borovets.

Had snow on the Tuesday (26th) which gave good conditions once it was bashed. Fantastic Skiing above 2000m! :)

Thinking of going next year, but this time the Alps. Looking for a resort with lots of Blues and reliable snow record ideally in Italy? I have been to Passo Tonale which was lovely, but looking for somewhere else this time.

Probably be looking at end of Jan next year.

:)

Posted

Had a great time in Borovets.

Had snow on the Tuesday (26th) which gave good conditions once it was bashed. Fantastic Skiing above 2000m! :)

Thinking of going next year, but this time the Alps. Looking for a resort with lots of Blues and reliable snow record ideally in Italy? I have been to Passo Tonale which was lovely, but looking for somewhere else this time.

Probably be looking at end of Jan next year.

:)

i have no experience of any other resorts, but i had an amazing time in folgaria, was a vast area and i couldnt cover the whole place in 6 days! two days of heavy snow which made great conditions and it was a great looking town! Very deep snow aswell i must add and the days it wasnt lashing it down with snow it was nice and sunny. i had a great time there i must say and i will return for sure. Plenty of runs for all skill levels and the off pists were great as it is preety much built in a forest, great views if the dolomites aswell, and a nice snow park there with (i think) 22 lifts, best holiday ive ever had by a mile Edited by Staffordshire

Posted

i have no experience of any other resorts, but i had an amazing time in folgaria, was a vast area and i couldnt cover the whole place in 6 days! two days of heavy snow which made great conditions and it was a great looking town! Very deep snow aswell i must add and the days it wasnt lashing it down with snow it was nice and sunny. i had a great time there i must say and i will return for sure. Plenty of runs for all skill levels and the off pists were great as it is preety much built in a forest, great views if the dolomites aswell, and a nice snow park there with (i think) 22 lifts, best holiday ive ever had by a mile

this is a video of a bit of the off pist - not me -

Posted

It's pretty warm here in Westendorf, but remarkably the snow is for the most part in amazing condition so far. Kind of surreal boarding down through fluffy powder with an extremely warm breeze blowing (the foehn I presume).

There are a few pistes that have suffered and have a bare patch or two but the vast majority pistes are perfect. Shame we aren't going to have a powder day but I'm happy enough with dry and sunny.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

Thanks for the recommendation staff! I will check it out.

I did some off piste on my recent trip.....the first time and it was quite an experience, skiing over the tops of trees buried in powder.

Must admit, I am looking forward to some warmth now though.......but come September I will be craving a snow fix! :)

Yep - despite my affection for Morzine, it remains one of the highest risk resorts for rain in the Alps! I have an article on my site "avoiding rain" but in a nutshell, aim for high resorts set deep in the central or south-eastern Alps further away from the influence of the Atlantic - eg St Moritz and Obergurgl. Here rain is vritually unheard of in mid-winter whereas in the northern french Alps it has been known to rain to 2500m or higher, even in January.

I have certainly noticed that the freezing level is consistently lower the further east you go in the Alps, more especially over Eastern Austria.

By the way great website you have there.

Edited by Jackone

Posted

It's a coin toss though, as Avoriaz has the best average snow record in France (I believe) - when it's good it's very very good, but....!

Posted

It's a coin toss though, as Avoriaz has the best average snow record in France (I believe) - when it's good it's very very good, but....!

Agreed. At resort level Avoriaz has the highest average snowfall in France - not far off 8m. Obergurgl's average is closer to 4m, but it has far more consistent snow quality due to lower (and less variable) average temps and humidity

Posted

Talking about snowfall averages, I am in Warth-Schroecken right now in the Austrian Vorarlberg, THE snowfall capital of the Alps. Here the average seasonal snowfall is 10.6m taken only just above resort level at about 1600m. However, with typical timing, I have picked the warmest week of the season so far with not a flake of new snow in sight! +8 degrees at 1500m today due to Foehn with really cruddy snow off-piste. Still, some interesting and classic Foehn cloud formations. Mostly cirostratus (= flat light) with the odd break caused by lee-waves and some nice lenticular formations above the higher peaks (see image).

post-18264-0-25336200-1362591754_thumb.j

Posted

yes there were some superb cloud scapes on one of the Wengen area movie cams yesterday.

Latest Ski blog out now for next week. rather mild to start the week but with low pressure and little wind, the chance of some hefty showers developing for the afternoon especially

After recent milder weather it is finally set to turn colder towards next weekend, this trend a bit earlier than this for more northern parts of the Alps.

Wengen (Switzerland) 60cm/140cm [75cm/175cm], 5cm on 24 Feb, 0cm (L7), Excellent, Tracked (2 March)
Avoriaz (France) 250cm/290cm [280cm/320cm], 5cm on 25 Feb, 5cm (L7), Good, Crud (2 March)
Kitzbuhel (Austria) 75cm/165cm [65cm/165cm], 10cm on 26 Feb, 10cm (L7), Good, Crust (2 March)
Borovets (Bulgaria) 120cm/190cm [150cm/190cm], 5cm on 26 Feb, 5cm (L7), Excellent, Fresh (1 March)
Couchavel (France) 140cm/204cm [153/224cm], 0cm [L3], Snow Type : Machine Groomed (3 March)
Cauterets (France) 470cm/590cm [465/590cm], 0cm [L3], Snow Type: Packed Powder (3 March)

Livigno (Italy) 70cm/205cm [63cm/202cm], 0cm [L3], Snow Type : n/a (1 March)
Westendorf (Austria) 100cm/170cm [95cm/165cm, 0cm [L3], Snow Type Powder (3 March)

Weekly update again

Wengen (Switzerland) 55cm/135cm [60cm/140cm], 5cm on 24 Feb, 0cm (L7), Good, Varied (10 March)
Avoriaz (France) 230cm/270cm [250cm/290cm], 2cm on 8 Mar, 4cm (L7), Spring Snow, Varied (10 March)
Kitzbuhel (Austria) 70cm/160cm [75cm/165cm], 8cm on 10 Mar, 10cm (L7), Good, Varied (10 March)
Borovets (Bulgaria) 100cm/170cm [120cm/190cm], 5cm on 26 Feb, 0cm (L7), Excellent, Varied (8 March)
Couchavel (France) 131cm/193cm [140cm/204cm], 0cm [L3], Snow Type : Machine Groomed (10 March)
Cauterets (France) 450cm/570cm [470cm/590cm], 20cm [L3], Snow Type: Packed Powder (10 March)
Livigno (Italy) 58cm/197cm [70cm/205cm], 0cm [L3], Snow Type : Machine Groomed (10 March)
Westendorf (Austria) 70cm/140cm [100cm/170cm], 10cm [L3], Snow Type : Variable (10 March)

Edited by Jackone