Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion 06/12/12 ------>

A.J

Posted

Looking good for next week! MWIS are usually spot on:

Planning Outlook for all mountain areas from Saturday, 8th December, 2012

A brief milder period as rain extends southeast on Saturday and a thaw extends to higher summits in Scotland for up to 12 hours. Widespread severe northerly gales on Sunday. Very cold next week or perhaps longer. Terrain almost all persistently frozen to valley level from Monday onwards. There will be significant snowfall on mainly eastern mountains, and also northern mountains in Scotland, but for many areas, substantially dry.

• Replies 768
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Morning peeps! Nae snaw here, jist horizontal rain. I want clear, cold and frosty. Could someone organise it please?

Posted

Pentlands look belting in the glare of the moonlight dont they.

Regarding next week, there is a lot of chopping and changing with peoples outlook on what is going to happen, however the Met Office (who updated this morning) are still suggesting an easterly wintry out-break. At times like this with all the uncertainty i think its better to take a step back and go with the Met Office.

I would love to be a fly on the wall in the hq to see if they moan and argue like Mod discussion haha!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

I literally have no idea as to why so many people are moaning on the Model thread, potential for battleground situations (i.e huge snowfalls) and a massive block to the East. What the fleek else do they actually want?

Edited by NorthernRab

Posted

I literally have no idea as to why so many people are moaning on the Model thread, potential for battleground situations (i.e huge snowfalls) and a massive block to the East. What the fleek else do they actually want?

Short of having the South East towed to Lapland they will always be on Prozac watch.

Posted

We got snow after I went to bed. About an inch this morning and still lying. I have now been taught patience. Kids building snowmen in the playground - a lovely sight! Snow tyres are awesome - never really got to try them out last year.

Happy model watching to those who know what they're doing and the rest of us happy waiting until the model watchers say SNOW!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

2C grey windy horribleness and no snow cover left now - not that there was much anyway. Round 2 starts Monday then...smile.png and looks rather mental for some blink.png

This thread seems to take on a life of its own come winter - blink and you miss a page!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Friday morning update from Aberdeenshire. It didn't look like there was any new snow added to the existing cover in Kemnay yesterday or overnight. Temp around -3C and misty when I got home around 6pm, but back up to about 2C at 8am this morning. Reasonably bright with showers so far this morning, but of rain rather than snow (in Dyce at least). Lying snow still surviving, it was fairly solid in Kemnay first thing but here in Dyce it looks like it's getting softer, even a bit slushy in the car park.

Looking forward to a drop in temp again next week and maybe even some more snow.

Ravelin

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Slight shifts in the evolution, some slight shortwave drama but ultimately hard to see it not being easily cold enough for snow for most of Scotland from Sunday night onwards until, well we haven't got to that bit yet. As for the details, well it's best to leave that but the east remains favoured at least initially.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Subzero

A lovely lying inch this morning on the hill but temperature was climbing quite quickly and the wind was picking up, so I'm not sure what'll be left when I get home. Quite surprised to see snow lying in Edinburgh this morning......and while the Pentlands look splendid, they've not scored as much snow as the Ochils have. Absolutely pasted!

Oh and the view west from the Forth Bridges this morning was something else. Snow-covered hills everywhere. Beautiful!

As promised, here's the link to the wee film I made of last Sunday's snowshoe trek over Ben Lawers in Perthshire. It's quite a treat to get such good conditions so early in the season, and to think we've had all this week's snowfalls on top of that. Must be seriously loaded on some slopes now.........so if you're headed into the hills keep safe and do check the forecasts on the Avalanche Information Service, who resume their service this weekend thank goodness!

Here's to a cold, snowy December :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Well, as far as I can make out, after sifting through the myre of the model thread, things are still looking very positive for us next week. I think the trick is to search for the posts of the more knowledgeable posters and stick to them for a more accurate viewpoint. Don't wish to sound condescending, as that is the perfectly obvious thing to do. However, some of the newer people on this thread may feel a bit confused trying to follow each and every post? Best stick to your regional thread and read the updates of our seasoned analysts on here. It's obvious who they are ....and I'm NOT one of them!laugh.png

Posted

Well, as far as I can make out, after sifting through the myre of the model thread, things are still looking very positive for us next week. I think the trick is to search for the posts of the more knowledgeable posters and stick to them for a more accurate viewpoint. Don't wish to sound condescending, as that is the perfectly obvious thing to do. However, some of the newer people on this thread may feel a bit confused trying to follow each and every post? Best stick to your regional thread and read the updates of our seasoned analysts on here. It's obvious who they are ....and I'm NOT one of them!laugh.png

I'm too scared to look at the model thread now. Not because I fear bad news but because the bickering and hyperbole is utterly utterly bonkers. Although.....I have to confess that actually having snow on the ground helps. If I was as snow-starved as some of those poor folk down south then I think I'd probably go a bit insane too wink.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Ach away wi the whole MT thing. NW should introduce a special feature for it where you can select only to see the posts of maybe 5-6 quality posters (Lorenzo and LS included by default of course); would then actually make sense.

Anyhoo, partial IMBY post but will be a similar story doon the east coast of kiltland in general:

Outlook for Sunday to Tuesday:

Turning colder with clear or sunny spells and a northerly breeze. Eastern Borders expected to see increasingly wintry showers smile.png , these perhaps pushing further west on Tuesday as winds turn easterly.

Updated: 0321 on Fri 7 Dec 2012

Soutra was fun the morn; good few inches there last night and a decent covering in the fala area petering out by pathhead as usual. Even got a wee covering here at Riccarton. Winter tyre morning; always a pleasure.

Edited by scottish skier

Posted

I have to say, this 'milder' interlude couldn't be better timed as I'm off to the Midlands for a few days. I'd hate to have missed all the excitement.....though that said, I'm gutted I can't get up into the Ochils this weekend :( But prospects look good beyond that :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,cold,frost,fog,wind,rain

nothing for me in cumbernauld last nite, not an inspiring day today - sunny, windy - blargh!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Ach away wi the whole MT thing.

Anyhoo, partial IMBY post but will be a similar story doon the east coast of kiltland in general:

Outlook for Sunday to Tuesday:

Turning colder with clear or sunny spells and a northerly breeze. Eastern Borders expected to see increasingly wintry showers smile.png , these perhaps pushing further west on Tuesday as winds turn easterly.

Updated: 0321 on Fri 7 Dec 2012

Soutra was fun the morn; good few inches there last night and a decent covering in the fala area petering out by pathhead as usual. Even got a wee covering here at Riccarton. Winter tyre morning; always a pleasure.

Sometimes it's good to remind ourselves that we don't live in the southwest of Ireland and many of us will, in fact, do well even with a relatively slack E/NE flow. We don't yet know what the flow will be, it might be a bit stronger or it might remain fairly slack, and we could still end up with a favourable undercut whereby all that happens is a continuation of the easterly flow for here with even colder uppers coming in from the east. One thing looks almost certain though: it's going to be cold for the foreseeable and the potential for snow will remain, and probably increase for most of us.

Posted

4c/1.4c which is the highest it has been here for a while now. Amazing really, still got patchy snow cover - how long has that been...4-5 days? My old Gramps used to say "Aye, it's jist lyin', waitin' fir mair!"

Posted

4c/1.4c which is the highest it has been here for a while now. Amazing really, still got patchy snow cover - how long has that been...4-5 days? My old Gramps used to say "Aye, it's jist lyin', waitin' fir mair!"

Same temperature here and that old saying has been told to me lots of times over the years..No snow left in any of the fields but just a 100m into the wood to the east of the farm is my old childhood fridge in between tall trees. Went for look after shifting the electric fence in the neeps for the cows. All the small drops of snow from the last week or so are still there frozen. Another world, one which could last to the middle of March as it used to in some of the sixties winters.

Edited by Northernlights

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

Back in the big smoke Glasgow today. Very mild outside in the sun 7c..My snow will be gone when I get home. Och well 6 days of snow can't complain. roll on Sunday night!

Posted

Here in Kemnay the rain is on, but we are still managing to hold onto a fairly decent covering, so far! - outside still looks like 85% cover, field still got coverage - here nearer homestead, Kennel roof still about 3-4in - will it see the weekend out? hope so as I too am a believer in it "sitting aboot waiting fir mair" :)

my thermometer is broke and neighbours weather station not showing temps, but the phone app thing says 3C - technical huh!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Just got back from a trip to Edinburgh. Some snow hanging on near Perth but gone from the roadside elsewhere. Hills look brill in the sunshine, the Pentlands, Ochills and also the Lomonds looking stunning. The Highlands North of Perth also looking very white.

No snow here this morning but street like an ice sheet. Several inches of frozen snow [melting on top] still up at my mum's in Aberfeldy. Temp 5C there now though.

Tomorrow looks like it will shift a lot of the remaining lower ground snow if forecast temps of 8-10C come off.

Still next week to look forward to.drinks.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Snooz,

Thanks for the reply about Bennachie. You were right about the "boobie" nickname.

I should really have climbed it myself when visiting but my wife doesn't do inclines of more than 2% unless there is a shop, or at least coffee and cakes at the end of it.

Posted

QUESTION...December 2010 had a classic easterly which provided us with lots of snow....would i be right in saying 09/10 winter was a bit more complicated and less straight forward in terms of where the cold came from?

Posted

A nice wee summary re next week's potential here:

http://www.britishweatherservices.co.uk/to-snow-or-not-to-snow/