Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion 18th December 2012>

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Wind really beginning to pick up now, and we've already had the first power cut. Off for about 1 hour 40 minutes. I'm well armed with tea lights and battery lanterns and the fire is roaring up the chimney. See you on the other side........of the island! Every chance that some things may get blown away...

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

correction to my stats:

December 2011 average was 4.5c so it was a lot milder last year by nearly a degree.The highest temperature was on the 22nd at 16c. I doubt that will be broken. Currently 11.6c in Falkirk area.

Edited by November13

Posted

The heady days of 2009/10 seem a long way away at the moment. The Atlantic is having its revenge now!

Still, here are a few wintry photos from the Pentlands yesterday to prove that even mild-ish spells have their moments:

pentlands017.jpg

pentlands024.jpg

pentlands019.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Tomorrow night looks very interesting, usually I'd say the 950 hpas preclude any major low ground falls (high wind causing mixing etc) but with the 'real' uppers progged at -5C or lower and showers likely to be very heavy and squally the 950s could get pushed sub zero quite easily in heavy precipitation. I'm not suggesting another January 93 because that was exceptional and had uppers which were a degree or two down on this but if we can maintain or improve on the uppers profile it could be quite something...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

I take it most of the Snowfall tomorrow night will be high ground North of the Central belt?

<grits teeth>No, high ground from Lake District and north Pennines up to Central Belt looks to have colder uppers than further north, by a degree or so, so better chance there than the north.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

Ahhh 1993 I remember it well had only been working for 5mths after leaving school and got 2 days off work...sledged with some friends into town and tally ho's a pub was open with a roaring fire and sat and had a pub lunch whilst looking out at the city centre piled high with snow and few people around....not had a day off work since because of snow although it did take me a morning to dig my car out in Nov 2010 so technically was off work for a morning because of snow then :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

BBC news 1730 Weather Jay Wynn mentioned

significant snow for Scotland Saturday night,did not show any graphics though

C.S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: North Atlantic cyclogenesis

I read on the Norwegian Met Office website (google translate) that a meteorologist there said they had never seen such a large (not deep) depression before.

I guess when you look at it, the wind shield is covering thousands of miles.

http://meteocentre.c...ang=en&map=AtlN

Watch the pesky low leaving Iceland 962mb currently). That's our little bustard starting to head towards us for Sunday.

Edited by BurntFishTrousers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder storms.

Temperature has risen steadily over the last couple of hours. Now 11c.

Wind definitely picking up!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold

Yep, it is indeed blawin a hoolie. I've been trying to translate that for a friend from SE England, but I don't think he's quite grasped the size of what I mean...

We only got that cast-iron skylight ripped out by Bawbag replaced in October, so we're hoping we don't lose it again...

Posted

A grey, mild, damp day with windy conditions and it is just starting to get a little wild outside. Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day and fingers crossed for another suprise snowfall.

Posted

I am so glad I naileded the trampoline down, wind really rattling through now. Ornamental trees in garage as they have already had a horizontal moment.

Time to tuck into homemade Focaccia and hot pork and minestrone soup. Mmmmmmmmm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

I've been trying to translate that for a friend from SE England,

Seems Google Translate need to expand current options. Could have saved face for various non-kilted newspapers re Bawbag.

Posted

I read on the Norwegian Met Office website (google translate) that a meteorologist there said they had never seen such a large (not deep) depression before.

I guess when you look at it, the wind shield is covering thousands of miles.

http://meteocentre.c...ang=en&map=AtlN

Watch the pesky low leaving Iceland 962mb currently). That's our little bustard starting to head towards us for Sunday.

That is a monster.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW :-D

Wind is really get getting up now with temp now up to 10.3

Just been looking at the pictures (http://tinyurl.com/cqhxthu) of the snow in America & Canada, I have to admit I'm a bit jealous :(

Edited by Allyw12