Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion 18th December 2012>

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: North Atlantic cyclogenesis

Can see the lows well in this sat pic (hi-res). One low leaving Iceland (comin' at ya' on Sunday) the other near the Western isles, and that is a pretty large bustard if you ask me.

post-18389-0-93933600-1356729640_thumb.j

Edited by BurntFishTrousers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Wind increasing here too. Odd spot of rain blowing in. Temp at 10.4C now highest for over a month by more than 2c.

Posted

Not being funny, but is there at least an amber alert gone out for the Outer Hebrides? There's a potent "sting jet" heading for those parts now ohmy.png

http://www.sat24.com/de/eu

post-18389-0-33462800-1356730739_thumb.j

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold

Yep, amber alert for Highlands and Islands - http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=map&map=Warnings&fcTime=1356609660&zoom=7&lon=-5.09&lat=57.36&regionName=he

That satellite sequence is bloody scary. I might have thought it was just oooh-exciting til January but now I know what one of them things is like when it hits and like I've mentioned a few times, that used to be my bedroom and I know how heavy and solid that Victorian cast-iron skylight was, and it was twisted like it was made of plasticine. Glass fragments over three inches were found in the street on the other side of the house as well as in our and neighbours' gardens on the same side of the house as the skylight. That big cast-iron frame was just torn to pieces by that sting jet, and my full sympathies go to everyone in the Isles tonight...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Good call BFT - that is indeed looking like a sting jet tell tale grey line in on satellite.

post-7292-0-24078300-1356732430_thumb.jp

Link to the animation site if anyone not got it to hand. Fairly whips up in the last 4 hours.

http://www.yr.no/satellitt/europa_animasjon.html

Posted

Good call BFT - that is indeed looking like a sting jet tell tale grey line in on satellite.

post-7292-0-24078300-1356732430_thumb.jp

Link to the animation site if anyone not got it to hand. Fairly whips up in the last 4 hours.

http://www.yr.no/sat..._animasjon.html

Yes - UKMO Chief Forecaster spotted the development an hour back and has briefed us on this. Could get nasty.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Sounding pretty nasty out there- just away to secure chickens coop with their run just to be safe. Take care everyone along west coast looking very nasty with the animation of the sting jet above.

Potential for snow looking interesting.

Posted

Yes - UKMO Chief Forecaster spotted the development an hour back and has briefed us on this. Could get nasty.

T'was me who briefed the Chief Met Man..blum.gif

Edited by BurntFishTrousers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold

daboss, I think the word you're looking for is "changeable"... :p

That end-of-the-world Alpacalypse thingie - they didn't just get the date wrong by a week, did they? :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Wow..... just had to dismantle my trampoline due to the NEIGHBOURS worried that it might pull their fence down!!aggressive.gif

Not something I would advise!

Sounds like true hero stuff cheggers, what with it blawin a hoolie an aw. Kudos.good.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Eh....blowin' a hoolie where? We got 10.4c/9.3c/WSW gentle breeze! laugh.png Is it here yet?

Posted

daboss, I think the word you're looking for is "changeable"... blum.gif

That end-of-the-world Alpacalypse thingie - they didn't just get the date wrong by a week, did they? biggrin.png

Very changeable indeed. Freezing, pouring, stormy, mild, snowing. The METO must be having a hard time of it.

Posted

Some very mild late December readings this evening: touching 13c up in Kinloss/Lossiemouth.

10.5c here currently and 11.7c at Leuchars.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

Wind picking up here now...trampoline actually snapped whilst moving it which was the stress fracture caused by bawbag finally giving way....oh well I know what middle child getting for her birthday now a new trampoline....have untied it in the hope it blow away and thus avoiding a tricky operation of getting it to the dump :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

NMM highlights the potential for squalls to develop tomorrow evening and is in good agreement with the MO site's rainfall map (presumably MOGREPS/NAE based) for timings around 8-9pm then another crossing around midnight. As I've said, not immediately all that helpful at the 950hpa level but I just think the sheer intensity of the precipitation is likely to push those down markedly within showers. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw temporary accumulations of a few inches to quite low levels.

12123000_2818.gif

As can be seen from this, the cold pool is pretty extensive and is probably centred around northern England/the Borders, although with altitude it looks good pretty much anywhere.

12123003_2818.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy cold winters & long warm summers. Some stormy weather too!

Getting wild out there now... Wheelie bin down! Feels balmy in the milder air.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Howling down the street now and that's just the neighbours... Unfortunately I have nothing large and aerodynamically suitable to launch! D'oh, a wheelie bin, of course!

Posted

Woken up by some ferocious gusts about 5.00am but all is much calmer now. No doubt theer has been a bit of damage but will wait for daylight to do an inspection Currently 8.2c.

Posted

Stirling had some ferocious sustained gusts last night - we've got a patio set with a big umbrella that refused to come down - so I wished it luck and left it to it.

One huge crash at about 11pm, and I went out to see the table on it's side with the umbrella flapping like a student at freshers week.

Carefully dismantled snapped it in 2 to fold it away, and, .......

mary-poppins14.jpg

Currently posting this from somewhere north of Ullapool.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Yes, an interesting evening up here. Power went off again at 8pm, so I was very thankful for oil lamps, tea lights, candles and battery lanterns. The battery lanterns didn't last as well as I thought they would but the oil lamps are worth their weight in gold. Temp was 11.2 at 10.30 last night and we had a strong (ish) puff of 64.1mph. No idea when the power came back on as I headed to my scratcher armed with torch and book. Heard various things being thrown around the garden during the night, will investigate later to see if any damage done. All ducks and chooks accounted for, cats happliy snoozing on the bed.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

never really got going over here or if it did i slept through it which is doubtful as was up till 1am then up since 5 with the insomniac 2yr old

low passing fairly close overnight/tomorrow morning

gfs-0-30_dqq8.png

uppers not great strong precipitation required

gfs-1-30_rlb0.png

not as much precipitation as required by many but you never know

gfs-2-30_pas1.png