Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter Model Discussion - Cold Hunting 08/01/13 00z Onwards

reef

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW ICE

Ecm is different at +96 ,much better than the 12z .That low pressure south of ireland in line with gfs for cold easterly

Edited by snowice

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: MCC/MCS Thunderstorms

According to the MetOffice website, light rainfall from Saturday 6am - 2100 onwards...Surface wind easterly at 6-12 mph gusting 24 mph. Temperatures at 5*C, I suspect this will update as we get ever closer...

Outlook for Thursday to Saturday:

Mainly fine in the east Thursday, with rain spreading into the west. This should clear eastwards Friday, with a brief drier interlude, before further rain or showers arrive into Saturday.

This can sneakily be changed without anyone knowing to......

Outlook for Thursday to Saturday:

Mainly fine in the east Thursday, with rain spreading into the west. This should clear eastwards Friday, with a brief drier interlude, before further sleet or snow showers arrive into Saturday.

Edited by Robbie Garrett

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fresh n Funky

WOW ! over 1,000 people and growing in the model thread this evening, having seen the GFS 12z I can understand why. anyone remind me what the record is ?

1963 lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter, warm and sunny in summer

Where is the first place to post new models? Wetter still not got the 86 out

http://www.meteociel.com/

Scroll down to "Modeles"

+120 ECM is okay, although it's starting to look a little messy.

Edited by Anti-Mild

Posted

well its not decided off the 12z ensembles, but you have to say there is an agreement starting to emerge for less cold air after the weekend, although ensembles have done a number of times before , where they go off to come back on, it ominous though.

As I said earlier we have seen 3 operationals which have all been much colder than the mean and yet the operationals continue with the colder outlook. Now in my experience you always go with the operational within +180.

Excellent ECM so far.

ECM0-96.GIF?08-0

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heavy convective snow showers, blizzards, 30C sunshine

Yep for me t96 is where we should stop taking it seriously lets just get this weekend sorted first then worry later about prolonging the cold snap!! Great model watching today though, massive across the board upgrades within 120 dont often happen!!

Edited by Continental Climate

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

WOW ! over 1,000 people and growing in the model thread this evening, having seen the GFS 12z I can understand why. anyone remind me what the record is ?

1961, Wed 05 Dec, after 'That Ecm', just after the 18Z

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

Just a note that EC 96 is a lot further west and slightly more south orientated than yesterdays EC 120 for the same time- it's a trend that will introduce a E flow into further southern parts and will bring much of England, as well as parts of south and eastern Scotland into the game this wknd-

The EC 96 solution has the ridging upper high in the atlantic, though the low pressure system by Greenland is more organised and cut when it comes to a closed circulation- the EC 120 could well shift focus when it comes to later modelling

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, Snowy winters.

This could be a case of "Careful what you wish for" scenario if this is anything of a trend. I think I said that in Dec.

Edit : typo

ECM1-120.GIF?08-0

Edited by StuieW

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

http://www.meteociel...H1-120.GIF?08-0

STUNNER

http://www.meteociel...F0-120.GIF?08-0

Slow moving snow showers in -9c air....

S

Not too long to go until this would likely verify given reasonable agreement. Given my location, I am very very happy :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold

Who on earth thinks the operational or any of the ensembles is worth taking seriously at the 7 - 10 day range frequently we see models run with an evolution at that range drop it and then pick it up again, I would always urge caution but I see little point falling over ourselves in a search for disaster, the ECM will be a long in a bit and will no doubt throw a spanner in the works anyway.

I can't see anything wrong with the GEFS Ensembles at day 5 (FI) Members on here a couple of days ago were telling us not

to look beyond t-120 but are now talking about t-240 etc .

post-9329-0-90959600-1357669592_thumb.pn

Posted

Look at that beautiful E'ly at +240! That's 3 consecutive runs with a similar outcome at that range! The SE is going to FREEZE!!!

Never mind that... the SEA is going to freeze.

Posted

Seen enough at +144hrs to convince me we are heading into the freezer. Fantastic days model viewing, what could possibly go wrong from here.unsure.png