Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

North West England Regional Discussion 11/01/13 ------->

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

18z GFS downgrades snow risk again. Even the first front looks ropey near the coast now. Snow chances for west of the M6 are all but diminished on Monday now.

• Replies 953
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Posted

GFS a bit marginal for any longjevity of snowfall / lasting far west but an absolutely snorting upgrade for me.

yahoo.gifyahoo.gif

Was just about to go and look! You better not be teasing!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Great post backtrack, fantastic stuff, testament to the amount of time you spend on the site. Impressed.

Cheers biggrin.png

18z GFS downgrades snow risk again. Even the first front looks ropey near the coast now. Snow chances for west of the M6 are all but diminished on Monday now.

GFS is on it's own. Met Office don't use it most of the time for a reason.

Edited by Backtrack

Posted

GFS is on it's own. Met Office don't use it for a reason.

Jordan, I've often found the GFS more accurate than mesoscale models such as the NAE. If we see snow falling (and settling) on Monday I'll happily eat my words but it's all far too marginal for us I'm afraid.

Edited by CreweCold

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Jordan, I've often found the GFS more accurate than mesoscale models such as the NAE. If we see snow falling (and settling) on Monday I'll happily eat my words

You should get some sunday night though crewe according to both GFS and NAE (latest runs)

Posted

Jordan, I've often found the GFS more accurate than mesoscale models such as the NAE. If we see snow falling (and settling) on Monday I'll happily eat my words but it's all far too marginal for us I'm afraid.

Monday's chances are downgraded with every run!

Posted

It's looking marginal yes, but it always was on the west coast.

Oh god, don't do that. Remember when I had to eat my socks? :lol:

Posted

Probably should of waited till the 18z to compose my post on the previous page, but the GFS is certainly on it's own here, however it is sticking to its guns, which is worrying.

Posted

Surely higher resolution mesoscale models such as the NAE & NMM are capable at accurately projecting the weather 24 hours out? Much more so than GFS. I've never found the GFS to be right over the NMM or the NAE. Granted the NAE has a tendency to over-egg snowfall predictions while the NMM perhaps underestimates wintry potential.

Edited by Cheese Rice

Posted

Probably should of waited till the 18z to compose my post on the previous page, but the GFS is certainly on it's own here, however it is sticking to its guns, which is worrying.

It's quite possible that some of us in NW England won't see any lying snow at all in this spell (as far as we can see out to). Disappointing indeed. The thought of those further east boasting etc is winding me up already. I fear for the health of my laptop!

Posted

Oh hang on, the uppers look really marginal now on the GFS though less than -5c, cant afford anymore eastward correction, its an upgrade if it all falls as snow for us, not as good for other members and i do see where crewecold is coming from now, a bit risky.

Surely higher resolution mesoscale models such as the NAE & NMM are capable at accurately projecting the weather 24 hours out? Much more so than GFS. I've never found the GFS to be right over the NMM or the NAE. Granted the NAE has a tendency to over-egg snowfall predictions while the NMM perhaps underestimates wintry potential.

Dont you find with the NAE though that it is very hit and miss with snow, one event its very good and the next its way off even at T12, there is no inbetween with it, although i think its worse with convective snowfall wheras frontal its not as bad.

Posted

The higher resolution gives the NAE & NMM the edge, although we can't discount the GFS's consistency here. It's a case of now casting.

It's quite possible that some of us in NW England won't see any lying snow at all in this spell (as far as we can see out to). Disappointing indeed. The thought of those further east boasting etc is winding me up already. I fear for the health of my laptop!

Isn't that always the way though? :lol:

Posted

GFS 18z looking good from a longjevity point of view, shortwave taking more energy under the block quicker, should be a belter coming up this.

Posted

Just been out, clouds seem to be rolling in on what looks like a NNE.

If we had just had a few days of higher pressure, maybe a lingering ground frost I might have a bit more confidence that it might be an all snow event given the lower level wind direction at the moment. It's a good sign IMO.

I will say as we'll that at least the attack is from the NW a direction we can do well from. I know there is a lot of less cold air coming behind but it's not your usual "breakdown" attack from the SW which never deliver.

See how it pans out, I note the timing has been pushed forward a few hours so my daughter might getto see some snow before bed!

Posted

Here comes the slider, for our region we need the block further North as well as further West, so that we tap into tighter isobars before they sink in order to get any convection over the pennines.

h500slp.png

Edited by feb1991blizzard

Posted

Dont you find with the NAE though that it is very hit and miss with snow, one event its very good and the next its way off even at T12, there is no inbetween with it, although i think its worse with convective snowfall wheras frontal its not as bad.

The thing is though it's easy to criticise the NAE as we all watch the projection of snowfall like a hawk, the GFS outputs are really in the most broadest sense when it comes to PPN type, so no one ever criticizes this side of its output. There's a similar discussion on the Yorks thread where I posted this....

I'd put my bet on the higher resolution models no doubt about it.

As a general rule the NAE has the following tendencies-

- Overestimate snowfall potential

- Poor timing of fronts by generally 2-3 hours (a surprisingly common occurrence)

- Project precipitation on a broad scale rather than pinpointing small features

The NMM

- Underestimate snowfall potential

- Over analysing the intensity of fronts leading to incoherent outputs

Edited by Cheese Rice

Posted
  • Location: Walton liverpool 33m asl work hoylake near train station
  • Weather Preferences: winter snow summer lots of sun
  • Location: Walton liverpool 33m asl work hoylake near train station

Just been outside and heard a goose flying west may be a good sign

Posted

NAE says some heavy falls on monday. marginal west though.

13011412_1218.gif

Posted

18z gfs, great charts in general but not much to interest us here in terms of snow potential after monday. But the cold is in place and not budging so anything could happen next week..