Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Regional Discussion - January 12th 2013>

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: appropriately seasonal

Morning all. Yep a wee bit of snow in Perth this morning - not enough to play in though but still nice to have some white!

So are we not having that 2nd band this evening now? Still shows it on the GFS? But I haven't looked at anything else yet to be fair.

Posted

Cloud to east moving in different directions at different levels,if it was the summer it would be a very stormy thundery sign. A bit of rain overnight but temperature back down to 0c as sky cleared and very icy underfoot.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Well, light rain turned tae snaw as I left Fort SS. Blizzard conditions at times on the A68 all the way up to Soutra. Turned to sleet coming down the other side and rain past Fala.

Winter tyre morn.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

freezing fog now in Perth and feeling bitter and like proper winter.... enough snow at luncarty to play in and at bankfoot etc as you move up in elevation.....

no second band tonight on Nae at 6pm but midnight showing precipitation

http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/cgi-bin/expertcharts?LANG=en&MENU=0000000000&CONT=ukuk&MODELL=nae&MODELLTYP=1&BASE=-&VAR=prty&HH=18&INFO=1&ARCHIV=0&ZOOM=0

Edited by edodfc

Posted

Definitely colder now in Glasgow - a deep breath in and you can feel the cold inside your nose :)

MetO showing snow for Glasgow on Thursday - I've got a sneaky feeling it could be something special ....

Posted

SKYWARN UK SEVERE WEATHER WATCH #072

ISSUED: 1645UTC SUNDAY 13th JANUARY 2013 (SG/GJ/GS/SM)

SKYWARN UK HAS ISSUED A SEVERE WEATHER WATCH FOR THE FOLLOWING REGIONS:

ALL OF ENGLAND WALES CENTRAL AND EASTERN SCOTLAND

IN EFFECT UNTIL 0600UTC TUESDAY 15TH JANUARY 2013

THERE IS A POSSIBILITY OF SEVERE WEATHER AFFECTING THE INDICATED REGIONS IN THE TIME PERIOD SPECIFIED. THREATS WITHIN THIS WATCH INCLUDE, BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO: HEAVY SNOW...ICE

DISCUSSION:

THERE IS GOOD MODEL AGREEMENT AND INTER-AGENCY AWARENESS OF LOW PRESSURE MOVING S/SE OVER THE UNITED KINGDOM WITHIN THE TIMESCALE SPECIFIED. AS THE LOW TRANSITS THROUGH THE COUNTRY AND THE ASSOCIATED FRONTAL SYSTEMS PUSH SE MEETING THE COLD AIR CURRENTLY IN PLACE, SNOWFALL WILL OCCUR PROVIDING SOME HEAVY FALLS WITH ACCUMULATIONS OF BETWEEN 2-5CM AT LOWER LEVELS ALTHOUGH 5-10CM IS LIKELY ABOVE 200-300 METERS.

http://www.skywarn.org.uk/

Posted

1c here at the moment, but it feels colder. We lost a good bit of our coverage over night unfortunately, hopefully that will get topped up in the next few days. Was cheered to see a couple of small snowmen in gardens on the school run!

Posted

OMG Perthonians this fog is thick! We get a lot of fog backing onto the Inch and it coming off the Tay, but this it crazy thick! And cold!

Well I presume that will help keep temps down? And me inside blum.gif

Posted

Looking like a decent spell of snow for the central belt on Thursday on the latest GFS run. Definitely wouldn't mind seeing this trend continuing over the next few runs. And it is only at T78 so its not too far out to take notice of. Here's hoping...

06_75_preciptype.png?cb=13

06_84_preciptype.png?cb=13

06_78_uk2mtmp.png?cb=13

06_78_ukdp.png?cb=13

skies then clear on thursday night into friday and the temperatures plummet

06_96_uk2mtmpmin.png?cb=13

Posted

Was rain for us this morning but when it cleared it made it quite slippery. Not too hopeful now for possible snow showers tomorrow and wednesday (BBC Graphics showing nothing compared to the way it looked yesterday morning)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

it came at just the wrong time for school buses/rush hour, was falling so fast that there are now reports of lots of stranded vehicles and school buses having to turn back

Don't I know it! Dropped youngest off at school at 9am, was on my way to work by 9:10am as usual, with a normal arrival time of 9:30am. I eventually arrived at work at 11:10am after sitting on the A96 car park for 2 hrs going nowhere very slowly. The hill at Tyrebagger was unploughed and possibly even ungritted so various abandoned cars on it by the time I got that far. Main problem seems to have been an accident on an icy stretch between the 2 Blackburn roundabouts. The minor roads were largely OK, wet an sleety, but the A96 is a nightmare when there's snow, mainly due to the volume of traffic. I should have known better and went the back roads like I usually do when it snows!

Ravelin

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Well here we are again folks, another week of model mayhem! Lost what little snowcover we had here overnight as a band of rain pushed through. I thought yesterday whilst looking at some charts that the low destined for the weekend looked very interesting but, as LS pointed out yesterday also, everything that could go wrong for us did go wrong. With this in mind, and the models still not all singing from the same hymn sheet, I am afraid I will still be viewing subsequent runs with a great deal of uncertainty. However, you would think that something has got to give soon, one way or another.

Posted
  • Location: North Cumbria 160m asl overlooking the Solway coast.
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonally appropriate. Snow - not greedy - good above 1,500' fine
  • Location: North Cumbria 160m asl overlooking the Solway coast.

Where's my Snaw, seems to have sneeked by here. Although I'm not sure I should do dialect being a trousered one among kilties. Had a bit of a wander up the back of the village - suggestion of a dusting on the Fintry / Gargunock Fells and cover on the Mentieth Hills. Cover down to 100m on the low hills SW of Gartmore but not at the village itself. Close but nae snaw so far. Not what I was hoping for this morning - end of the week looking promising.

Posted
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: dry sunny average summers and really cold snowy winters
  • Location: falkirk, scotland, 16.505m, 54.151ft above sea level

its good to see the ECM has come on board a bit with the UKMO both are looking very snowy for this coming weekend and i hope they verify

ECM 120hr

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/ecmwf.php?ech=120&mode=1&map=0&archive=0

UKMO 120hr

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/ukmo2.php?nh=0&ech=120&carte=1021

hopefully GFS will catch up soon

Edited by Buriedundersnow

Posted

Inetresting this morning saw the overnight rain/sleet clear to the east and now a band of cloud appears to be pivoting and coming in off the Firth from theNorth East. No wonder the forecasters are having difficulty with the models judging by observations here on the ground. Currently 2c with a west wind!!!!

Posted

A few quick snaps I took with my phone this morning before heading to work ('d have been better not bothering).

https://forum.netweather.tv/gallery/album/1191-kemnay-14_jan_2013/

2hrs before and this scene would have been all green! It took around 1hr15 for this to accumulate. Didn't get a chance to measure the depth, too rushed getting drive and car cleared and youngest to school.

Ravelin

Edited by Ravelin

Posted

Oh Ravelin what a nightmare, should've checked the traffic cam before leaving it showed how bad the tyrebagger was about 8:45ish - they just didn't have a chance to clear it as traffic was already on it when snow was falling sad.png - days like this glad I don't have to move, O.H. was at work before it even started!

anyway I'm just in and 'glowing' - 3 hours playing (well shielin') & socializing, feeling very healthy all neighbours driveways and hill is clear, we got it done just before gritter kindly came up by so all is good.. main roads too now look black and gritted, though I see the Tyrebagger is still slow moving should hopeful still be all right at coming home time

PS: It's fab snaw-manny snaw!

Temp 0.9c/0.6c DP

wasn't expecting more until perhaps later/tomorrow am but what's that now coming in over the Moray Coast, NL?

ETA: re: coming from Moray, think by looking at the Foundlands cam it is snow, shouldn't have too long to wait as Bennachie is shrouded again now too

Edited by Snooz

Posted

Well fog has lifted here, the sun is out and we are on a slow melt. Temp just above freezing.

Posted

Oh Ravelin what a nightmare, should've checked the traffic cam before leaving it showed how bad the tyrebagger was about 8:45ish - they just didn't have a chance to clear it as traffic was already on it when snow was falling sad.png - days like this glad I don't have to move, O.H. was at work before it even started!

Assuming my wife got to work OK as she was out just as it started and doesn't have to go near the A96.

My normal routine is to glance down at the A96 as you cross over it at Kintore. If it is backed up or covered in snow then I avoid it at all costs. This morning it looked clear so I took it, only to grind to a halt 500yrds down the road. Perversely, when it snows I normally take the road to Hatton of Fintry from Kintore and get to Dyce that way (even before I got the 4x4). Although it is twisty and undulating it's usually clear enough and a much better option.

Last time I had a chance to look at traffic camera before I left the house it looked clear. Colleagues say it didn't start snowing in Dyce until around 8:30am though.

Ravelin

Edited by Ravelin

Posted

Yep, can concur with OTR... actually not a bad day for walking at the mo :)

Here's hoping snow will show up later, though I have my doubts....

Tim

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

Well fog has lifted here, the sun is out and we are on a slow melt. Temp just above freezing.

grr i need what we had to stay to live my promise of sledging tonight...we had enough when we left but i fear by the time I am home we shall not!!

NAE had precipitation aroud now for here but no sign but to be hosest I think that was still the band from this morning they had programmed to stall....

as buriedundersnow shows some great looking charts from ECM and UKMO but i refuse to get excited now until T0

Fascinating stuff