Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter Model Discussion - 12/01/13 06z Onwards

Coast

Posted

Well it looks like the GFS wants to prolong a spell of severe wintry weather over the UK next week, all eyes north east somethings brewing! smile.png

Indeed, as does the UKMO.

Now we await the ECM in 2 hours ...........

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder & Lightning, Thundersnow, Storms, Heatwave

http://modeles.meteo...nh-0-168.png?12

GFS setting up a CLASSIC knee deep snow event for the South -

Yes Steve, another upgrade in the medium term. UKMO also still prolongs the cold so we shall wait for the ECM, will it stick with its last few outputs? im not so sure

Posted

What a big relief to see the GFS and UKMO continue with their positive cold trends from this morning.

We await the ECM but if that backtracks and is proven to have called this completely wrong within T96hrs it would be the biggest embarrassment for that model since many of us have been members.

Surely if the ECM had picked up on something then the GFS/UKMO have had now three runs to follow it and they haven't. It's been a very strange week lets hope that after all the changes we get one final one from the ECM.

Edited by nick sussex

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

http://modeles.meteo...nh-0-168.png?12

GFS setting up a CLASSIC knee deep snow event for the South -

Steve

its a mega run for our SW and S Wales friends too

BFTP

Posted

I'm sorry but there has been some right royal nonsense spouted all over the forum today, clearly people are getting pre-snowmensetral tension or something.

What we have so far is a band of snow/rain for areas SW and maybe for a time more generally in the south (but thats uncertain!!) followed by a cold spell with high pressure building further north and bringing in a weak easterly. After that the Atlantic is going to try and push in...IMO its going to fail.

Posted

The low causes a NW'ly flow with the UK still under -8C uppers! It would give a massive snowfall for me in the NW. FI I know but I can dream :)

Posted

Brilliant 12Zs.

UKMO says no to the ECM and so does the GFS.

This has heavy snow showers written all over it.

UW96-21.GIF?12-17

As for the NAE I have known it to be wrong many times at +0 when viewed against the radar. Speaking of which for those who are likely to see snow rather than rain it will come down to radar watching anyway, regardless what the models say.

No sign of the end of this cold spell based on the 12Zs so far.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sun, Heat, Cold,T/storms via Spanish plumes *rare*

Look at the NH chart, shows the PV split right down the middle at 174hrs, probably the effect of the SSW!

Also that upcoming low should undercut the heights to the north, giving us another easterly and snowy outlook.

post-17320-0-41950100-1358008138_thumb.p

Posted

Jet heading south as per Chios split vortex meaning it cant be bothered to try and get across so goes on holiday to the Medlaugh.png

gfsnh-5-186.png?12

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heavy convective snow showers, blizzards, 30C sunshine

I know its at 180 but i wonder if this is what 1947 looked like http://www.wetterzen.../Rtavn18015.png!!

P.S. how do i post pictures and not just links? I think pics look better lol

Edited by Continental Climate

The UKMO is a good run in the longer term and holds off the Atlantic by building heights to our North that's a few runs now it's done this and has not moved over to agree with the ECM,

GFS 06z looked more similar to the ECM and didn't build up heights to our North but the 12z run gives the UKMO support on building heights up to our North something the GFS 00z showed as well,

Overall these are good runs and at this range it's the trend that counts not the exact details.

Posted

The low causes a NW'ly flow with the UK still under -8C uppers! It would give a massive snowfall for me in the NW. FI I know but I can dream smile.png

Which chart are you referring too? All charts are showing an east or south easterly flow.

Edited by Buzz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

UKMO 144 hrs very good for a prolonged cold spell.

Correct, if one moves from 120 to 144 the movement shows exactly that. Block moving/linking to NNE and a prolonged set up. Good spot and a more accurate brief summary of it.

BFTP

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sun, Heat, Cold,T/storms via Spanish plumes *rare*

Brilliant 12Zs.

UKMO says no to the ECM and so does the GFS.

This has heavy snow showers written all over it.

http://www.meteociel...96-21.GIF?12-17

As for the NAE I have known it to be wrong many times at +0 when viewed against the radar. Speaking of which for those who are likely to see snow rather than rain it will come down to radar watching anyway, regardless what the models say.

No sign of the end of this cold spell based on the 12Zs so far.

Exactly, this is what upgrades I have seen in the 12z. I dont care if it doesnt show snow, as long as the cold is there, the snow should follow afterwards.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

steve murr channel low channel low alert that would really make us on the tropical southcoast happy brillant runs so far.

gfs-0-186.png?12

maybe not to much warm air mixed in but still a fantastic run.

Edited by model rollercoaster

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: really cold or really hot ! extremes

Newbie ! Hi guys really sorry I'm very confused at the amount of posts saying the Atlantic is breaking through , then someone else says great run , I'm inclined to believe there are plenty of trolls here ,am I right that this is a good run ? Thankyou :@) sorry if this is off topic

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

Jet heading south as per Chios split vortex meaning it cant be bothered to try and get across so goes on holiday to the Medlaugh.png

gfsnh-5-186.png?12

I find it difficult to believe now that the ECM will do anything other than follow suit. The UKMO holding firm. Any model that fires that jet stream across the Atlantic is in autopilot ......

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!

Overall these are good runs and at this range it's the trend that counts not the exact details.

100% correct..............and the trends are looking colder

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, Snowy winters.

The GFS is not backing away with the precipitation level for Monday.

gfs-2-54.png?12

Really hope it doesn`t follow the precipitation prediction of the NAE. This is what I will be following for the next 24 hrs. TBH the east and anglia region up until Wednesday looks decent imo.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: mediterranean summer

this afternoons GFS has realy went mental i dont see how you can get a chart like this with pressure fairly low to our east and north i would bin this run.more likely the UKMO is nearer the mark

gfs-0-180.png?12?12

Edited by igloo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

Only just a week away so you never know. But it shows potential if the jet goes south: post-14819-0-00944200-1358008511_thumb.p

Posted

Newbie ! Hi guys really sorry I'm very confused at the amount of posts saying the Atlantic is breaking through , then someone else says great run , I'm inclined to believe there are plenty of trolls here ,am I right that this is a good run ? Thankyou :@) sorry if this is off topic

For those who want cold, next week looks fantastic! Plenty of nights well below -5 and possible ice days with a slack E / SE'ly flow. Most snow confined to the Eastern coasts but then the Atlantic throws a channel low into the mix with the cold well established, it could get very messy!

Anything beyond Tuesday is FI atm but the cold staying for the full week looks likely!