Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia & Three Counties Regional Discussion

Team Jo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

You must have better eyesight than me!

Or maybe the Snow Dome has sprung a leak? tongue.png

Edited by Steve C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun, Deep Snow, Convective Goodness, Anvil Crawlers

They are on their way, Benfleet reporting snow in t'other thread!

Get in! :) C'mon Flakeage, SS17 wants you!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, Snowy winters.

No worries my friend smile.png

I'm still not convinced to be honest with how much the GFS makes of the dew points

Similar conditions here, with light snow flurries on and off.

Stansted TAF:

So essentially light snow showers through today, then drier, then more light snow, becoming snow overnight into tomorrow morning.

Luton:

The same without the light snow showers during the day today, and the risk of freezing fog with the snow

SK

Hi Snowking, remember me? Saffron Walden chappy (Sinth). Thanks for the info. Gutted about tomorrow as we should have been ok, now it`s marginal. Anyway good luck us :-)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Current alert level: Level 3 - Cold Weather Action in one or more regions of England

Issued at: Sunday 13 January 2013 at 09:05

There is a 90% probability of severe cold weather/icy conditions between 0900 on Sunday and 0900 on Friday in parts of England. This weather could increase the health risks to vulnerable patients and disrupt the delivery of services. Please refer to the national Cold Weather Plan and your Trust's emergency plan for appropriate preventive action.

Staying cold with icy conditions across all but the far southwest of England throughout this week although temperatures recovering at times in some western regions. Snow expected to move southeastwards over all but far southwest of England from later Sunday, through Monday and, for the southeast, into Tuesday. Northern and eastern regions expected to have highest snow accumulations with little thaw of lying snow expected. Strengthening easterly winds will exacerbate the cold feel and bring further snow showers to eastern and some central areas.

As Dan has posted the cold weather alert has now moved up to level 3 (which is one level below what would become a 'national emergency' status) so stay warm over the next few days and please check up on any elderly or vulnerable neighbours good.gif

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/cold-weather-alert/#?tab=coldWeatherAlert

Posted

You must have better eyesight than me!

It really helps having a black back garden fence.....the snow shows up so much better against a dark background...the lengths we go to huh wink.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters

Nothing here in westcliff and I'm at 10 minute walk too leight

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything and everything

Morning all. Was just popping in for an update and to say there are reports from my friends/family on facebook to say its snowing in Southend but been beaten to it. Little clump of precip on the radar sitting right over them.

Ah well time to catch up on the updates for herts unless someone's kind enough to update me search.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very Hot,Very cold.scared of thunder and lightning.

It really helps having a black back garden fence.....the snow shows up so much better against a dark background...the lengths we go to huh wink.png

*sends mr floaty off to the shed in search of black paint and a brush rofl.gif

Nice tip i will get lea to thank you later lol lolgood.gif

Posted

Hi Snowking, remember me? Saffron Walden chappy (Sinth). Thanks for the info. Gutted about tomorrow as we should have been ok, now it`s marginal. Anyway good luck us :-)

Hello there.

Ahhh that make sense I certainly remember you from under the username Sinth!

Yeah its currently looking as though the dividing line will be somewhere across the southern parts of the home counties (I think the M25 could end up being a useful dividing line in terms of latitude) - I expect the snow to turn rather wet for a time late tomorrow afternoon, though invariably all this does is increase the flake size.

The models always tend to underestimate evaporative cooling too. Many many examples of that over the years (December is one that springs to mind!)

Very much looking like a nowcast situation as has been said.

Good to hear from you, and hope you are well :)

SK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun, Deep Snow, Convective Goodness, Anvil Crawlers

Yep, we've got the flakes.

clap.gif

Posted

Yep, we've got the flakes.

clap.gif

Head and Shoulders moment? :)

Preparations done here, Port on coffee table, bird feeders full, drive gritted, radiators bled, boiler oil level checked, outside taps covered, new bulb in outside light............we'll now get two snowflakes here :)

Posted

reading the papers airports stooping planes on Monday before a snowflake what would they say over the pond about us!!

Posted

confused... is that band out to the west the band thats spose to get here 6 am ish tomm?If so i think it will be somewhat earlier?

Posted

*sends mr floaty off to the shed in search of black paint and a brush rofl.gif

Nice tip i will get lea to thank you later lol lolgood.gif

Oh dear Mr Floaty isn't going to be very happy with me at the next meet up then if your going to get him out there repainting the fence ph34r.png

Posted

Head and Shoulders moment? smile.png

Preparations done here, Port on coffee table, bird feeders full, drive gritted, radiators bled, boiler oil level checked, outside taps covered, new bulb in outside light............we'll now get two snowflakes here smile.png

very impressed!

Posted

confused... is that band out to the west the band thats spose to get here 6 am ish tomm?If so i think it will be somewhat earlier?

Thats the one thats supposed to get to MK between 6 and 9 tonight, I think the one you're referring to is lurking behind it.

Posted

well i put me spade in the car ready

Posted

I've just popped into the neighbours thread (London & SE) to find signs of a Kent streamer setting up so a nice surprise this afternoon for them maybe !

post-10773-0-99749700-1358077201.jpeg

Edited by MKsnowangel

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme Cold and Hot inc Stormy Weather

Possible streamer in development of the east coast.

Posted

I've just popped into the neighbours thread (London & SE) to find signs of a possible Kent streamer setting up so a nice surprise this afternoon for them maybe !

MK

is that me or is that getting bigger

http://www.meteoradar.co.uk/home/maps?bg=0&lat=54.5

Posted
  • Location: Bishop's Stortford in England and Klingenmünster in Germany
  • Location: Bishop's Stortford in England and Klingenmünster in Germany

well i put me spade in the car ready

Not a bad idea, I keep a folding spade in the car during winter - even though we have narrower profile winter tires on for Germany - you never know and putting the chains on at the roadside in a snow storm really is not my idea of fun.

Posted

Lets take a look at the evaporative cooling element from the GFS - the Wet Bulb Freezing Levels.

Generally for snow, you want these at or below 200m:

13011415_2_1306.gif

13011418_2_1306.gif

As you can see, its mid afternoon tomorrow that these raise to their highest, though most of the region should still be okay even taking this output at face values (300m would likely give wet snow, 400m would be sleet bordering rain)

When you take into account the GFS is the most aggressive with the warm sector, and it still tends to underplay evaporative cooling, the above suggested northern M25 borderline looks like a decent call at the present time.

This frame shows the issues with the low resolution of the GFS for nowcast situations:

13011418_2_1306.gif

There is no way that it will be all rain right up into Yorkshire without a monumental change in the air profiles, and the reason such a scenario is shown on the GFS is because each pixel takes up an entire region!

SK

Posted

http://www.buienradar.nl/

I find this very useful for my location as it shows well in advance what "could" be coming across the North sea...obviously only useful when the winds are blowing in the right direction!

hope it helps with anticipation!