Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Far North of England Regional - Cold Spell Discussion 13/01/13--->

Isolated Frost

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lots of snow in Winter......Lots of sun in Summer....Extreme weather.

Snowing heavy in Benwell right now....huge flakes.....starting to get a covering of snow lying....lovely!!!!!

Posted

Any idea whether there-s a chance of it stalling? Will the Northern bit curl back down somehow?

Posted

Big flakes here and a good dusting on the grass. At this rate there's going to be 5cm in the grass and nothing on the pavements!

I'm still waiting for that big flake and moderate/heavy intensity, its fairly moderate but with small flakes here, patchy dusting on the grass and although its trying to settle on the ground, it has not as of yet.

Posted

Very heavy snow here at last! All surfaces covered (cramlington)

Huge flakes here

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

Very heavy snow now, covering all surfaces quickly.

To think, yesterday we thought it would be a sleety mess!

Edited by Alza

Posted

Just came out the exam hall to moderate snow, good covering on the grass. Result.

Slim chances of it lasting more than an hour though? Or will it curl back from the North/stall miraculously?

Posted

An hour of this will put down an inch no problem. I'd be happy with that tbh.

I have to go out in an hour for my A Level Chemistry exam which I definitely should have been revising for this morning :p

Edited by Alza

Posted

Very heavy snow now, covering all surfaces quickly.

To think, yesterday we thought it would be a sleety mess!

I didnt I said it will be a rain/sleet turning to snow event! Not that I'm boasting because even I'm wrong and I was moaning earlier because I thought it was going to be one of those days where frontal snow fails to get going.

Now this is what I was expecting, moderate/heavy snow with big flakes and starting to settle quickly!

Posted

I didnt I said it will be a rain/sleet turning to snow event! Not that I'm boasting because even I'm wrong and I was moaning earlier because I thought it was going to be one of those days where frontal snow fails to get going.

Now this is what I was expecting, moderate/heavy snow with big flakes and starting to settle quickly!

Yup lovely big flakes now,

This is one of the occasions where were getting the same weather even though I'm only a mile away haha

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

Slim chances of it lasting more than an hour though? Or will it curl back from the North/stall miraculously?

The general consensus is that the front should stall then loop around and head south. Looking like GS's earlier comment that it could stall out in the North sea is looking likely but still have an hour or so before this is confirmed.

Posted

Just came out the exam hall to moderate snow, good covering on the grass. Result.

On the flipside my school is warning the 1pm exam may be cancelled due to snow.

ARGYJGDSEVFJHEJ

Edited by Cheese Rice

Posted

I think the band could hang on if see further PPN building on the backedge and we have seen that to some extent if albeit the intensity is mainly light.

Flakes are smaler than around 10-15mins ago but the intensity is decent enough and at least we got a light covering, so better than nothing, I think we may have to make the most of it though incase it does clear out into the North Sea.

Posted

2cm on the grass and about a cm on the pavement. Hopefully it'll continue for a bit longer though!

Back to big flakes again here. I reckon it'll stop soon after 12:00, but we should hopefully see something returning from the North Sea later on.

Edited by Alza

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

i cant see this lasting the day another hour and it will of passed, its not looking like its gunna stall

Posted

I keep looking at the radar and I still can't decide whether the PPN will hold on or not, I think Yorkshire/Teesside looks more favourable to hang onto the PPN before it heads back inland again. The only problem once it does head back inland again, wind strength will pick up and its coming from the North Sea and that is when I think things could become a little too marginal for some lower levels

Intensity has decreased a little here but its still not too bad though, just typical it took so long to actually get going though.

Posted

This is beautiful, lovely flakes , lying everywhere. So is this band supposed to stall over the NE hence the amber warnings?

Posted

An onshore wind can make it more marginal, but don't forget it will be accompanied by some lower uppers etc so it might be less marginal than this initial band of snow was.