Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Discussion 13/01/13 --------->

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Work... Cold but clear. Fun.. 12" of snow!

Well that was just amazing....search.gif From now on I shall be opening the curtains at dawn and finding out how the weather did overnight...fool.gif Too old for this s**t,mega_shok.gif off to bed,lazy.gif hopefully a miracle will occur and I can sleep till lunchtime....drinks.gif If not, its fenceposts at 8am... tease.gif

Posted

Looks like a mini-streamer trying to set up just off the Chesire Gap actually, should've considered the possibility really! It won't last long, so hopefully it can make it's way far enough inland... blum.gif

Posted

Looks like a mini-streamer trying to set up just off the Chesire Gap actually, should've considered the possibility really! It won't last long, so hopefully it can make it's way far enough inland... blum.gif

What's a streamer lol ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, hot sunshine and snowstorms

BBC News forcast for rain from the 2nd band. Quite widely across England. From about Leeds south baring East Coast.

Posted

What's a streamer lol ?

A streamer refers to a direct line of snowfall heading in a straight line, like what's coming off the Cheshire Gap and heading towards Birmingham at the moment.

However, it shouldn't 'really' be used it this circumstance because it really is generally lake-effect snow, which is caused by very cold winds picking up moisture from warm beds of water. You'll often see it in easterly winds on the east coast, with many flurries heading in from the north sea. I'm not entirely sure whether the precipitation shown heading inland at the moment is related to any frontal system or not, so ~

These types of streamers can cause quite significant local snowfalls, as the same area will be experiencing snowfall for a lengthy amount of time, as long as the driving winds last long enough. Doubt it might be the case this time, however.lazy.gif

Edited by Hailsowen

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms!! (With the odd gale thrown in)

I'm actually quite interested in that path of the precip just inland at North Wales now... Hopefully a direct hit for the heathlands of Cradley! /NotAChance

Just came in from the Se discussion to see how you are faring in the Midlands. Glad to see some of you have had some snow!!

It looks like that streamer just to the West of the Cheshire Gap is still building nicely and chugging it's way towards Wolverhampton and Birmingham, so that may well add to the excitement!

Can you blow it towards the South East please? wink.png

Edited by Sno' problem

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow, Thunder storms and lightning

Just woke up and opened the curtains, and its all white i say we had about 2cm looks very festive, and still snowing much more than i expected.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

BBC News forcast for rain from the 2nd band. Quite widely across England. From about Leeds south baring East Coast.

Just seen that. They also say that Birmingham will reach 5c by the afternoon though huh.png I personally can't see it being that mild, i'd expect a max of 3c in Birmingham all day, it really is confusing because on their BBC news 24 forecast they show rain/sleet over Nottingham/Leicester but on the online chart they have it as snow. Same old Beeb that.

Posted

The BBC always add one or two C to the temps as they like to promote climate change ignore it might be true due to urban heat island effect but just iggy

Posted

I didnt see the temperatures lol. i hope they are wrong about the extent of the rain. but i have a feeling that they arent. i also wish this tablet comp im using would automatically use punctuation correctly, but that also seems to be to much to ask. lol

Posted

Yep agree snowing steadily here now with heavy bursts, and the met have upgraded me to sleet later lol. cant sleep i get so excited when it snows

Posted

Sleep? Sleep is for weaklings. Or alternatively, the employed. blum.gif

On the damper side of things, the temperature has steadily hovered around -0.6 C for almost all of the night, but has now crept up to -0.3C... I'm not overly hopeful of our chances later today, at least anywhere around Birmingham. Still - always the slim chance...

Edited by Hailsowen

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

morning midlanders. So how r we looking? Has our fait been seald regarding today's snow?

Posted

BBC forcast rain for us with this second band, which will wash all the snow we have got away. I'm hoping they're overestimating the rain but knowing our look they aren't. Everything looked wonderful a few days ago.

Edited by Matt_in_Walsall

Posted

Strange because the met have got sleet for us now, and snow in evening, still think this is on a knife edge, got work in 4 hours going to be soooo tired.

Posted

Yeah, it's still going as well. I expect the snow to last as long as Cheshire keeps churning it out. The rain (or further snow! /optimism) will arrive most probably when the second front passes us by over here. Rising towards 0C...

Edited by Hailsowen

Posted

Yh still snow cover here would guess a couple of centimeters fell lets hope the snow cover can bring temps down, still light snow here also.