Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire & Lincolnshire Regional Thread - January 13th 2013>

Snowangel-MK

Posted

Snowy Scarborough!

post-10637-0-13703800-1358173041_thumb.j

Well a snowy back garden in Scarborough!!

After that time you were saying it might be rain in scarborough and i said coldest air will be far east.

Well looks like i was right but in a bad way lol. How ironic was that.

Barley 1cm cover here in doncaster. Big let down :(

Posted

After that time you were saying it might be rain in scarborough and i said coldest air will be far east.

Well looks like i was right but in a bad way lol. How ironic was that.

Barley 1cm cover here in doncaster. Big let down sad.png

That'll teach me! We've had solid snowfall since 11.00 and it's still coming down lightly. You should see that birdhouse now. Took us 1 and a half hours to get home from the hospital to Eastfield normally a 15 min journey!! . .

Scarborough even got a mention on the BBC national news.

I reckon at least 4 or 5 inches. i'll upload pics when the boys in bed!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow!! lots of it

I hope what I see on the raintoday radar comes true, York looks set to get a battering around 8pm onwards tonight :o

Posted

Would like that precipitation out east to reach leeds, am I being too optimistic blum.gif

It'll start pushing inland properly around 8pm according to the NMM.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 6ft snow or 30°C sunshine...

Reckon it'll reach Huddersfield...?

Posted

Oh my days there are some really annoying posts on the model thread. What does this even mean... somewhat lacking support from its ensembles. Perhaps not an outlier - but definitely on the marginal side of plausible; I think it'll be isolated, with the majority diverging towards an entirely different solution. Why try to over complicate things for no reason just to try and sound intelligent.

Sorry rant over.

The band is likely to be light, patchy and mostly sporadic by the time it reaches here, might get a dusting.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder - not necessarily at the same time!

Donny was a disappointment today - snowed for a good four hours or so but only a cm or so on the ground at the end of it all. Ground temp must have been too high I guess.

Got home to a winter wonderland - 10cm on the car and the grass and a good 8cm on pavements. The kids went sledging on the Westwood after school and I missed it cray.gif

I too have just scraped the drive and paths outside before it freezes - lessons learned over the last couple of years. Took me no more than 10 minutes as opposed to more than an hour the last two years. Gonna do this every time it snows now as it is the best way.

Been watching the pivot: looking good for the Vale of York but am a little concerned for here as we may be in the rain shadw of the N York Moors and the snow may well move down Holderness and the Vale of York either side of us. I have seen this happen before from NE winds.

Still, can't grumble rofl.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow

Looking at fri sat for yorkshire think we will see a snow event but sadly it looks like been washed away. One of those classic heavy snow then washed away by teatime

Posted

Oh my days there are some really annoying posts on the model thread. What does this even mean... somewhat lacking support from its ensembles. Perhaps not an outlier - but definitely on the marginal side of plausible; I think it'll be isolated, with the majority diverging towards an entirely different solution. Why try to over complicate things for no reason just to try and sound intelligent.

Sorry rant over.

Lol, very good shout. That's absolutely ridiculous.

Posted

Sorry rant over.

The band is likely to be light, patchy and mostly sporadic by the time it reaches here, might get a dusting.

** COUGH ** SNOWBALLZ ** whistling.gif

It'll start pushing inland properly around 8pm according to the NMM.

Look at difference from 6:30 to 7 on radar, the showers are rapidly pushing in land!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Well I am very pleased today's snowfall, I didn't expect anywhere near as much as we got, at first it looked like diddly squat after 2 hours of wet-not-settling-snow until finally it got heavier and then began settling fast. In total must be around the 6 inch mark,

Another 12 inches and we'll be at the Nov 30 Dec 2010 level - bring it! Lol am a greedy bugger!

Edited by djrikki

Posted

those showers seem to be pushing inland alot better than i originally thought. id be happy to get a solid 2cm covering!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

@craigers

Wow really, in Grimsby/Immingham we got absolutely pasted today.... I thought Donny would be less marginal for the white stuff?! Guess not.

Posted

@craigers

Wow really, in Grimsby/Immingham we got absolutely pasted today.... I thought Donny would be less marginal for the white stuff?! Guess not.

Yep very disappointing! could be a 1991 event end of this week if the UKMO kept showing its pattern :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder - not necessarily at the same time!

@craigers

Yeah it dd snow heavily and it was settling on the sidings but it took over two hours before it lied on any of the rails and you could always see through it. In fact on one pair of rails, it never settled all day - and there were no train movements in the sidings. I can onle assume the ground was warm and it was melting from beneath almost as fast as it was falling from the sky. Metal is a good conductor of heat so again I think it conducted the heat out of the ground and melted the snow. As to why only one set of rails was snow free, I am not sure but I think conduction is the key here too. All of the sidings in Donny have been re-laid with concrete sleepers and new balast except for the one on which the rails melted the snow. This one is very old, is embedded deep within the overgrown balast and has wooden sleepers.

Obviously spent too much time looking out of the window today blum.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and Snow

Sorry rant over.

I have mentioned this before, snowballz is clearly just trying to sound clever and it's rather annoying.

Posted

Well we had 4 hours of snow today in West yorks, only really stuck on surfaces that had some left from last night

Started sticking on the road at its heaviest but then started melting again

Temps stuck around 1.4oC and have risen to 2.1oC

The other weird thing is even as the front came through there was no wind

The wind has now started blowing for the first time today from the N/NE

But the temp is still showing 2.1oC

I hope the showers coming down from the N/NE do come inland towards us as the ground is pretty dry where all the snow has gone

Bit of a let down to be honest today and last night!!!!