Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire & Lincolnshire Regional Thread - January 13th 2013>

Snowangel-MK

Posted

Then after a possible snow on Friday and the Weekend the GFS introduces an easterly flow during the first half of next week with heavy snow showers laugh.png

gfs-2-162.png?12gfs-0-162.png?12

Edited by Mark Bayley

Posted

So we could see a 2010 repeat after all, I would happy with 1 foot of snow and it staying around for a few days lol is that to much to ask :) hopefully this weekend will deliver!! :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

Had 2 main snow showers today each depositing around 1cm each taking the grand total of this cold spell to 8cm. Not sure if any more showers will head this way, might reach Malton but I'm in York for the evening so will probs miss them.

Posted

So we could see a 2010 repeat after all, I would happy with 1 foot of snow and it staying around for a few days lol is that to much to ask smile.png hopefully this weekend will deliver!! smile.png

Well if the GFS is to be believed we could have potentially 10cm -20cm of snow across our region by the middle of next week!

174-777.GIF?15-12

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

So we could see a 2010 repeat after all, I would happy with 1 foot of snow and it staying around for a few days lol is that to much to ask smile.png hopefully this weekend will deliver!! smile.png

A foot? Absolutely no chance whatsoever. Doubt anyone in our region will see more than 15cm, and even that's pushing it. Totally fed up of winter!

(if you haven't noticed, I've been very pessimistic recently, being optimistic hasn't done me any favours thus far..!)

Edited by Aaron

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and hot sunny weather.

Aaron I feel the same dude but chill it looks good!! I think

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Probably won't be as much of a nowcast as events yesterday and Sunday night, but I reckon there's a good 24-36hours before we know the fronts likely trajectory (for Friday and Sat).

Neither of them i would really call now-cast events because other than the first front arriving a few hours early there were no other issues that i was aware of.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Sorry everyone for my uncharacteristic pessimism. Just feeling a tad frustrated as I look outside to the half green half white landscape, reading how much snow there is in Norfolk, and how we're likely to miss the heaviest snowfall once more.

It's only the weather, right? I think we may be getting our just desserts after having more snow than other places throughout the last decade. smiliz39.gif

Edited by Aaron

Posted

Sorry everyone for my uncharacteristic pessimism. Just feeling a tad frustrated as I look outside to the half green half white landscape, reading how much snow there is in Norfolk, and how we're likely to miss the heaviest snowfall once more.

It's only the weather, right? I think we may be getting our just desserts after having more snow than other places throughout the last decade. smiliz39.gif

You telling me were not due any at weekend. That wud be a shambles!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn days and foggy nights

The 12Z GFS has something for everyone - the main front may not make it all the way across to the East Coast, but is certainly very promising for Western and central parts of the region with some potentially decent falls over the western Pennines, then as Mark has suggested, a stronger easterly flow establishes over the weekend resulting in snow showers for the east, penetrating well inland.

It'll all be different by 10:30 tonight, of course!

Posted

Thought i would copy my post from the mod thread, the regions i refer to are Wales, West Midlands, NW England and the SW

That has to be one of the snowiest GFS runs for quite a while. Snow events from Friday right till the end of FI as constant bands of precipitation bump into the colder air over the UK, that seems to be refusing to budge. Would be some very impressive totals for many places. With regards to Fridays front i suspect that the best locations will be the ones TETIS outlined. For myself i can only see a weakening band, if that. The GEM's take on Friday, backs the band further west

gemfr-2-84.png?12

Here is a chart i've stolen from Gavin, shows total snow at end of GFS FI (note these are experimental, and rely on that crazy GFS run coming off) smiliz39.gif

15011312360270010170-1.png

Edited by Mark Bayley

Posted

Been interesting driving over to Preston today to see how much snow there is and at what altitude.

Another 1 to 2 cm overnight and another 1 cm or so from showers today. Have to say the Wolds look absolutely stunning at the moment.

Reached 0.3 which was disappointing after a min of -4.7 and back down to -3 now.

Posted

Overnight lows expected of -4 here now that is cold.

Moving onto Friday and all is still looking good for Yorkshire :) I am hoping the MO will be releasing a yellow warning for us over the next 24 hours

Posted

Epic GFS run with snow on Friday and Sunday before a monday night minima of -13C.

Posted

Assuming the -13 will be for the countryside??

BD11 with some height and yes its just on the outskirts of Bradford urban..

Posted
  • Location: Penistone. S Yorks. Foothills of the southern Pennines. 238m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall. Deep Cold. Clear Crisp Ice Days.
  • Location: Penistone. S Yorks. Foothills of the southern Pennines. 238m ASL

Had much better snow today than yesterday and it wasn't even forecast. Started about 9am constantly until 1.30pm with a lot of heavy spells, temps averaged roughly 0,5C

so it stuck well, its given us 3-4cm and -1.5C now. Looking forward to see if Fri/Sat deliver anything substantial.

Posted

Temperatures plummeted at dusk but more steady now at -5.6C

There's about 8" of powder snow; with clear skies and little wind a perfect set up for low temperatures in the valley.

Posted

A minor thaw here today with nearly the main roads now 80% clear, fields still covered as are most pavements. We have just had a very heavy snow shower that lasted around 20 minutes, must have put down a cm, all areas now white again. If models are correct then areas further west might get their share later this weekdrinks.gif

Edited by Grimsby Snow Lover

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and Snow

Paul Hudson's thoughts on the weekend and beyond, although this was based before the 12z's!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/paulhudson/

Edited by Barry95

Posted

Partly cloudy with sunny spells today and occasional snow showers which didnt really add anything to the cover. That changed after dark though when another heavy snow shower arrived and re-covered everything completely. There hasnt really been a thaw here today as we had a good 10cm on grass and 6cm on the pavements, but it has compacted significantly to around 5cm (still near enough 100% cover).

The maximum temperature was 1.2C after a min of -2.6C. It is currently falling quickly again and stands at -0.9C despite being pretty cloudy.

Edited by reef

Posted

Lost quite a bit of snow cover here, full cover in the back garden 5-7cm of snow.

Max of -0.6c, currently -1.5c

Not too sure how we'll do over the next seven days, I reckon this area may be just far enough west to catch some of the fronts pushing in.

Edited by Cheese Rice

Posted

Lost quite a bit of snow cover here, full cover in the back garden 5-7cm of snow.

Max of -0.6c, currently -1.5c

Where u situated. Am leeds- hoping we do! Charts look good for us n Hudson reckons disruption!

Not too sure how we'll do over the next seven days, I reckon this area may be just far enough west to catch some of the fronts pushing in.

Posted

Where are u dude. Leeds. Charts look good for region n paul expects disruption