Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

West Midlands Regional Discussion

shuggee

Posted

Not completely correct. Reports now coming through of snow down to 100m. Sleet showers also reported near to sea level earlier. Wales now under mainly -6 upper air and dewpoints near 0c.

Not completely correct. Reports now coming through of snow down to 100m. Sleet showers also reported near to sea level earlier. Wales now under mainly -6 upper air and dewpoints near 0c.

Yes, completely correct. 100m is higher ground, like I said.

Anyway, I'll bugger off back to my thread! ;)

Still dont think 2 midlands threads is necessary, East midlands no posts for 30 mins, and with cold and dry days ahead will get quieter, attention reverting to model thread

As so many people have explained, the 2 Midlands threads is a great change. A skim read of the posts within this thread prove they have absolutely NO relevance to those in the East Midlands. For all of us in the East it's much better to have a quieter thread which has relevant posts , than a busier one with posts relating to the West Midlands which have no relevance to us. Thankfully, the majority of members agree with this view!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, thunderstorms, cold, snowy winters.

But we're land locked...not a lot of moisture to work from at this time of year. I grew up in Lowestoft...when we got hit in a cold spell, boy would we get hit and that was thanks to the North Sea. However, sometimes, the North Sea could be our worst enemy in a cold spell.

I think we do alright here in the West Midlands. There are parts of the country who do far worse than us. I recommend you read through the North West and South West threads and see the poor souls in there!

I can vouch for this.

I have lived in Birmingham for 4 years but I was born and brought up in Cardiff and oh boy was there a serious snow-shield in action there! It was painful to live there during cold spells. It's sheltered by valleys to the N and E and at sea level, snow would rarely get over those valleys from eaterlies or northerlies and if it did, the breeze from the channel would often turn it to slushy sleet. On the other hand, we'd do we'll from (v. rare) channel lows which would deliver lots of snow! I find the midlands much colder during cold spells, we never got ice days in Cardiff. 2010 was'nt as cold in Cardiff as it was up here but it was snowier, they had a foot of snow then!

L

Edited by Lukey

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

A classic situation like this was 30th Dec 1995, very snowy that day, Atlantic stalling against the cold, made it this far north east

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

The fronts aproaching friday seem to be stalling over ireland and wales finding the cold block to strong thus not making it far enough inland to effect us in the midlands as things stand but correction further eas or west I'm sure will come

Posted

Looking for little corrections this way and that way again are we? Sounds familiar...

That precipitation up to the north east is swinging SW a little bit...but not enough. If only the winds could swing round more!

Looking like a nice band of showers setting up for the north east coast of England as well. Tyne and Wear might benefit from that.

Wales is still going strong.

Places like Norwich and Lowestoft looking good under that rotating area of snow...although reports from Lowestoft suggest that it only turned to snow there recently.

As for us...settle down for a quiet and frosty night, like the ones from early December!

Edited by Gord

Posted

Friday could potentially get exciting here. A frontal system looks like it will undercut the block forcing cold south easterly winds. Met Office as snow symbols even at Lands End! Gusty winds forecast too. If this doesn't alter much, I could actually see Blizzard conditions!!!

I think I just found the flaw in your plan!

Bish

Posted

Wish we had fergieweather in this thread! averages 10.25 likes per post, star rating every time, good to have a met guy in here

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

I think I just found the flaw in your plan!

Bish

Haha, when im still yet to see snow, Fridays chnce looks like one of the very few that can happen all the way down here in Costa Del Fal. :lol:

Posted

7cm up here on the Lickey Hills. Just drive up to Beacon Hill if you need a snow fix..... Roads been pretty dicey this evening though

Posted

Yeah do okay, but not as well as east coastal areas, we tend to be either too far west or too far east

mainly too far west tbf though. as gord says we are quite far inland(yet the alps are hundreds of miles inland and have great convection rates for snowfall) so low pressure systems rarely have the energy to give much when the showers originate from the east. best snowfalls for us are battleground situations, which as any weather watcher will know are unpredictable and at best a 'few hours before the event' situation

Posted

Fridays event looking off? not promising in SW thread, damn block too strong, only make it to the far south west then slide SE

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Fridays event looking off? not promising in SW thread, damn block too strong, only make it to the far south west then slide SE

So far so good for me for a change. :lol:

Posted

Yup and then Saturday has a few hours of transient snow before the mild air blasts in, :lol: gotta laugh really, you just know how this weekend's gonna go.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Yup and then Saturday has a few hours of transient snow before the mild air blasts in, :lol: gotta laugh really, you just know how this weekend's gonna go.

Well at the moment dont think we would even get the ppn into the midlands looks like a west and sw event only

Posted

18Z as expected PANTS for friday! going under the block, we are too far East

Yes, it looks like the cold air may be too strong to allow the snow through to the west mids. Unfortunate if true, especially after the disappointment today, when we were too far west. Plenty of time for things to change.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!

Yes, it looks like the cold air may be too strong to allow the snow through to the west mids. Unfortunate if true, especially after the disappointment today, when we were too far west. Plenty of time for things to change.

Yes, i think it's a bit premature to throw the towel in just yet!

What the models predict, sometimes only a few hours ahead, often turns out to be wrong to the tune of hundred miles or so.

Lets keep cheery a bit longer :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Yawnfest. Uppers retreating enough to be unable to support snow next week and the Atlantic coming lively from the 20-25th as GP suggests then the chances of sticking sustained snow are again at least 14-21 days away and that's of the SSW event affects us correctly.

Turning into a pathetic winter again.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, thunderstorms, cold, snowy winters.

Yawnfest. Uppers retreating enough to be unable to support snow next week and the Atlantic coming lively from the 20-25th as GP suggests then the chances of sticking sustained snow are again at least 14-21 days away and that's of the SSW event affects us correctly.

Turning into a pathetic winter again.

I thought we would never top the crapness of last winter but this one is looking even more disappointing :(.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow - or HOT

Wow, you lot are depressing, we are not even half way through January yet, I know in recent times we've tended to do better dec/jan but we have the whole of feb to go yet, and snow is not unheard of right through til April, chin up guys!

Posted

Half of winter has almost gone........and the wee lads in the forecast and strat thread expect us to keep the faith...imao SSW dont always provide for us it just means more chances of blocks in the northern hemisphere they could be anywhere.

Posted

Half of winter has almost gone........and the wee lads in the forecast and strat thread expect us to keep the faith...imao SSW dont always provide for us it just means more chances of blocks in the northern hemisphere they could be anywhere.

agreed, i've given up with model output or the stratosphere thread. its nice to look ahead but until the snow is nailed on at T+48, then its still very much up for change, never mind T+144, even if the 'building blocks are in place' or 'there's a change of disruptive snowfall 4 or 5 days away.' 4 or 5 days is well up for change. This weekend could well swing back in our favour.

Posted

Wow there's a whole lotta negativity going on here tonight......

Relax guys! This is just the start of what may well turn out to be another prolonged cold spell, one of several over the past few winters - plenty more snow opportunities to come over the next few days & weeks, especially if high pressure exerts an influence to our north or north-east, as is being forecast. Even an Atlantic breakdown may well be snowy for several hours, think how special that would be.

Don't lose faith! Chin up! Think positive thoughts! Keep the lamplight burning! :-)

Bish

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

ssw doesn't always give us cold and snow if we fall on the wrong side of the block then its game over and we get the mild crap most of the time. As for friday and the weekend i'le beleave it when i see it.