Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

West Midlands Regional Discussion

shuggee

Posted

My verdict... not a cat in hells chance! i refuse to get excited till thursday evening, although if the front does make it here it is likely to stall against that block, regarding thursdays snowfall... i dont see where this will come from? if someone could give me a breif description so i could pop back on when i have 5 minutes? very busy atm so cant really be on here

Edited by Staffordshire

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Just clicked on my just updated netweather local forecast, Friday in to Saturdays all snow 20mm rain = 20cm of snow, I'm not being greedy just half would do........

Posted
  • Location: Sedgley / Dudley - West Midlands - 757ft (219m) asl
  • Location: Sedgley / Dudley - West Midlands - 757ft (219m) asl

If some of the latest data is to be believed, then it looks good for the west mids come the weekend but early doors yet.

The best snowfalls in our area always happen like this......rather have 20cms of snow and then it get milder after a couple of days than have 2 weeks of 2-3 cms of snow showers and sub zero temps.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow

At the weekend does the mild weather win over the cold.

Posted

My verdict... not a cat in hells chance! i refuse to get excited till thursday evening, although if the front does make it here it is likely to stall against that block, regarding thursdays snowfall... i dont see where this will come from? if someone could give me a breif description so i could pop back on when i have 5 minutes? very busy atm so cant really be on here

posts saying along the lines of your first statement I've seen many times but considering its at the +72 stage along with a reasonable amount of agreement if It was anything but snow we'd all be confident now of it happening. Really hope it does as could be one to remember

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

very long way off, but I think that GFS is the best run I have ever seen! not saying it will verify of course! bbc pressure charts good, front seen over midlands north

Posted

Local Central news at 6-30 saying yellow warning for snow but showing a sleet shower symbol for Friday ???? Here we go again !!!

Posted

Brilliantly sunny day today. Some snow melt where I work down near Rowley Regis but return home to Gornal to find it looking exactly the same as I left it this morning!

Here we go again for Friday then...not getting swept along this time. At least there isn't a weekend building up to it this time so I can suitably distracted by work. The forecasts were very good for last Monday here in the end, see if they can get it right a second time running.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Brilliantly sunny day today. Some snow melt where I work down near Rowley Regis but return home to Gornal to find it looking exactly the same as I left it this morning!

Here we go again for Friday then...not getting swept along this time. At least there isn't a weekend building up to it this time so I can suitably distracted by work. The forecasts were very good for last Monday here in the end, see if they can get it right a second time running.

The nw forecast for my area was pretty much spot on, if it's still saying the same this time tommorow I will be taking more notice.......

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW..... THUNDERSTORMS

Please let this event come off for Friday and the weekend. We deserve a good dumping of snow

in the West Midlands.

I have to agree! And if it does happen we deserve to have it stick around for more than a day :)

Posted

It is amazing how people are torturing themselves trying to discern what will happen. I suspect the worst\best snow will be south of watling street (A5) or at least that is what i am telling myself so if we do get anything i will be pleasantly surprised!

Posted

It is amazing how people are torturing themselves trying to discern what will happen. I suspect the worst\best snow will be south of watling street (A5) or at least that is what i am telling myself so if we do get anything i will be pleasantly surprised!

South of the A5, I like it! That's a new one! Personally, I think it'll be west of the A449!

Seriously though, it is just another wait and see event...just like every snow event is. Before then, some lovely winter weather in the form of sun, frost and maybe some freezing fog. Hopefully some stunning sunrises and sunsets.

Posted

It was my Dad who came up with the saying that it snowed either north of the A5 or south of it, but rarely across it! In 2009 it was true at times when Birmingham had snow and we had little,but of course it is just a quirk of the weather.

Saying that there are a few zones more prone to snow than others, the North Norfolk coast for instance in a northerly outbreak, or indeed closer to home the Cheshire gap.

Posted

It's hard - I like Hinckley - so literally on the east midlands and west midlands boarder! - and ARB - I live right by the A5 on the watling street @ Hinckley - Here's hoping to a dumping of snow!! ;-)

Edited by shep

Posted

I would say that if we see consistency in the model runs this time tomorrow re. Friday and wkend, then we could start to get excited. The W Midlands could be in the sweet spot if the system moves north enough.

A few agreed in the model output thread that its quite similar to 7/8th Feb 96, which if you are old enough to remember delivered up to 8 inches or more in the Midlands and western areas. Not saying we will get the same, but with cold embedded, any snow that does fall wont struggle to settle like it did on Monday.

Watch this space.....

I will post some charts if i can find

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental climate, snow winter, sunny summers

Think I'll give it another 24 hours before taking real note of Fridays charts + weekend, but fingers crossed its looking good currently. This really is an unusual set of Synoptics and one which gives the west mids a real chance of hitting the jackpot snow wise. Best location for me would be malverns up to the lickey hills in terms of depth of snow, but really much of the region has a real shot at a substantial fall between Friday and Sunday.