Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

West Midlands Regional Discussion

shuggee

Posted

It's hard - I like Hinckley - so literally on the east midlands and west midlands boarder! - and ARB - I live right by the A5 on the watling street @ Hinckley - Here's hoping to a dumping of snow!! ;-)

Are you north or south of it! Seriously one thing we have not had in recent winters is a nationwide event, so let us hope this will be more like some of the epic events I can remember from 1978/9 and 1981/2.

Posted

It was my Dad who came up with the saying that it snowed either north of the A5 or south of it, but rarely across it! In 2009 it was true at times when Birmingham had snow and we had little,but of course it is just a quirk of the weather.

Saying that there are a few zones more prone to snow than others, the North Norfolk coast for instance in a northerly outbreak, or indeed closer to home the Cheshire gap.

Roads can be a good guide to the weather. I remember July 2006 when thunderstorms would track up either the M1 or the M40. (I was staying with in-laws in Northamptonshire that summer so did quite well from them!). I suppose the Cheshire Gap streamers make their way merrily down the A41! In an easterly, snow showers can fizzle out near the A1...much to our annoyance!

Then there's the most used one of all...the M4!

Posted

Roads can be a good guide to the weather. I remember July 2006 when thunderstorms would track up either the M1 or the M40. (I was staying with in-laws in Northamptonshire that summer so did quite well from them!). I suppose the Cheshire Gap streamers make their way merrily down the A41! In an easterly, snow showers can fizzle out near the A1...much to our annoyance!

Then there's the most used one of all...the M4!

Roads often follow natural geographical lines in the landscape so there may be some relationship. The M4 corridor is probably just coincidental with one of the common tracks followed by depressions across Britain which themselves are influenced by the geography of the north atlantic.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow, Thunder storms and lightning

Hi all been away today and find a chance of a possible snow event on fri, what are evreones thoughts of this coming of, or will it go pear shaped like last time.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Just posted this in the East Midlands thread...

Well, today has been good in terms of the snow lasting. The only places the snow has melted completely from is most of the roads and some pavements but on grass and sheltered areas the snow hasn't melted at all.

When I saw the models this morning I was excited about what they were showing for Friday. I thought it would downgrade by the 12z but amazingly it's actually upgraded! I refuse to go into full on ramp mode about Friday until Thursday. If the models are still showing a battle ground scenario like they are currently... I will be chuffed!

I wonder if we can get the Midlands thread as one again if that event for Friday remains on the cards? It will be much more exciting if they are merged again, the whole of the Midlands would be in for a good snow event IF what the GFS 12z is predicting actually happens.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Fri is deep FI, nervy 00Z's coming up, still a fear it could go tits up

bbc not really on this yet either, just going for a few flurries fri and sat

Posted

Yeah i agree andy, woyld be nice to be reunited for friday

Personally I preferred a midlands wide thread, the weather here can often be more akin to the east midlands than the further reaches of the west.

Posted

18z backs the front a bit further south west again, still great snow wise but I still fear this south west trend will continue..

Posted

18Z not as good, yes agree with conor, this trend will continue, the block to our NE is too strong

Posted

18z backs the front a bit further south west again, still great snow wise but I still fear this south west trend will continue..

It does seem to be a trend that the models overdo the northward/eastward extent but they are just models probably best not to obsses and just see what happens. At least the weather won't be boring.

Posted

18Z not as good, yes agree with conor, this trend will continue, the block to our NE is too strong

why should it? its only one run, it could go eitherway. we know itll move around and yes itll probably go anywhere but the midlands

Posted

18Z downgrade, all the 00Z's wont make it any further east than Wales, Atlantic dosent seem powerful enough

Posted

It's more the angle that's not so good on this run, causing it to slide into Europe and draw in an easterly, probably better for prospects further down the line but I don't care about an easterly, it's always further down the line, it's about time we got our big snow event :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!

Just posted this in the East Midlands thread...

Well, today has been good in terms of the snow lasting. The only places the snow has melted completely from is most of the roads and some pavements but on grass and sheltered areas the snow hasn't melted at all.

When I saw the models this morning I was excited about what they were showing for Friday. I thought it would downgrade by the 12z but amazingly it's actually upgraded! I refuse to go into full on ramp mode about Friday until Thursday. If the models are still showing a battle ground scenario like they are currently... I will be chuffed!

I wonder if we can get the Midlands thread as one again if that event for Friday remains on the cards? It will be much more exciting if they are merged again, the whole of the Midlands would be in for a good snow event IF what the GFS 12z is predicting actually happens.

Hi chap - nice of you to drop by :)

As you might've seen in the first few posts after the thread was split, I definitely would have voted against it if Id been asked, and I know Bishop Brennan would have too.

It seems to me that there were some people asking for a split, and because there was no-one asking for it to stay the same (and why would we know we had to?), then it sounded to the mods like there it was a majority request.

How can we get a 'show of hands' organised do you think?

Posted

The 18z GFS shifts the PPN quite a bit further South Westwards, as it stands on that run... It would be the West Midlanders seeing all the fun while Leicester, Nottingham, Derby and North Warwickshire would miss out this time. If that happened I wouldn't be able to complain really. I'd be frustrated as hell if I missed out on a band of snow by 10-20 miles but I wouldn't begrudge you guys seeing some now.

Posted

It's more the angle that's not so good on this run, causing it to slide into Europe and draw in an easterly, probably better for prospects further down the line but I don't care about an easterly, it's always further down the line, it's about time we got our big snow event laugh.png

Yeah agree with that, model thread saying upgrade if it moves south west, I disagree, it dosent guarantee snow, and pushes snow chances well into FI

all the 18Z shows is mainly cold and dry with -12 minimums

Posted

Hi chap - nice of you to drop by smile.png

As you might've seen in the first few posts after the thread was split, I definitely would have voted against it if Id been asked, and I know Bishop Brennan would have too.

It seems to me that there were some people asking for a split, and because there was no-one asking for it to stay the same (and why would we know we had to?), then it sounded to the mods like there it was a majority request.

How can we get a 'show of hands' organised do you think?

I think the mods need to merge them back again for the time being, I can understand why some people in the West Mids got cheesed off by seeing snow reports from the Central and East Midlands but I feel that in the long term, a split between West and East Midlands in the regional threads will make it boring!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

The 18z GFS shifts the PPN quite a bit further South Westwards, as it stands on that run... It would be the West Midlanders seeing all the fun while Leicester, Nottingham, Derby and North Warwickshire would miss out this time. If that happened I wouldn't be able to

complain really. I'd be frustrated as hell if I missed out on a band of snow by 10-20 miles but I wouldn't begrudge

you guys seeing some now.

Dont think it will make it even to west midlands with this current trend

Posted

The 18z GFS shifts the PPN quite a bit further South Westwards, as it stands on that run... It would be the West Midlanders seeing all the fun while Leicester, Nottingham, Derby and North Warwickshire would miss out this time. If that happened I wouldn't be able to complain really. I'd be frustrated as hell if I missed out on a band of snow by 10-20 miles but I wouldn't begrudge you guys seeing some now.

oi you! how do you think some of us lot feel after monday eh?! ;)