Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Wales Cymru Regional Discussion - January 15th 2013>

Snowangel-MK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Sunny days 25C Autumn/Spring: Rain and storms Winter:Snow

Looks pretty good for tomorrow guys, large parts of Wales should see at least a few hours of falling snow.

• Replies 886
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Posted

Wales was mentioned twice last night on World Weather forecast on CNN. Forecaster spent few minutes explaining about the fronts stalling mainly over Wales - quite surreal really coming from a US forecast team! Trying to dig out the video.

Thanks, would be interesting to see that. :)

Posted

Thanks, would be interesting to see that. smile.png

I did not think to even record it because I did not expect us to even be remotely mentioned! I have had a dig through and cannot find any previous weather forecasts from them, let alone the one in early hours this morning :(

Posted

Can someone explain how in Bridgend we have light rain from sleet earlier, a dew point of 1 degree and temp of 3 degrees, what in the current setup will bring the variables in favour for snow later when the main fronts arrive, surely as they are atlantic fronts they will bring in warmer air and force dew points and surface temps up??

Yep

Although we have warm atlantic air pushing in, it will ride over the more dense Cold air, The winds will be from a South Easterly direction.

What is likely to happen is ... wet bulb freezing level between 200m to 100m

Dew points below zero due to air from continent being dragged in and layer mixing. ( a very important factor for snow)

We also get evaporative cooling, this is most evident when the percipitation is falling in dryer air, the cold air is dryer than warm air.

If anything the dew points look like falling further on Saturday,

Currently your temperature is ok or snow, but your dew point is not

Edited by pyrotech

Posted

Been snowing lightly in Merthyr from 6am this morning.

If that front stalls over us tomorrow,I reckon some of US could well see Upto a foot of snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme snow rain wind

Its been snowing here all morning .....but i do live on the top of the world.......

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it!

After seeing this mornings charts I'm starting to get my hopes up...a lot! I know theres still time to go but this could be the first significant snowfall here for a long time after the surprising lack of snow in my area during Dec 2010

Edited by Scarlet_Snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy..warm summers but not so hot you can fry an egg on the ground

How r we all planning spending our day in the snow tomorrow then?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snow. Summer: Hot and Dry

Snow getting heavier here in Llantrisant.

Edited by Wales123098

Posted

Snow prospects have only increased for SE Wales so I doubt the predicted totals of 2-5cm in lowland areas are correct. More like 10-15cm and then huge totals with the drifting in the valleys. Hopefully....

Posted

Snow getting heavier here in Llantrisant.

Great stuff. Gone rather light in Caerphilly,snow quite wet as well now so has stopped settling.

Still, this is only the appetiser so im just going to enjoy it(even if it is a bit more ish)

Posted

Working from home tommorrow morning but got to get to the Drs about 4pm. If the trains have stopped running down the Valley (which I suspect will be pretty much inevetable) going to have to walk about 4 miles through the worst of it tommorrow afternoon - not looking forwrad to that at all.

Posted

Still snowing here in Tred! Looking at rain today radar there's plenty of precip about. Can't understand how it's not being shown on BBC weather forecasts. Just watched the 10.30 one and nothing being mentioned or being shown on the graphics! Nuts!

Posted

Is this snow gonna hang around all day? It's basically not moving on the radar. It's not settling anymore and is melting but it still snowing.

Posted

Yep

Although we have warm atlantic air pushing in, it will ride over the more dense Cold air, The winds will be from a South Easterly direction.

Dew points below zero due to air from continent being dragged in and layer mixing. ( a very important factor for snow)

We also get evaporative cooling, this is most evident when the percipitation is falling in dryer air, the cold air is dryer than warm air.

Fantastic explaination many thanks

Posted

Great stuff. Gone rather light in Caerphilly,snow quite wet as well now so has stopped settling.

Still, this is only the appetiser so im just going to enjoy it(even if it is a bit more ish)

hi all I drove down from valley just now to bridgend and on top ov valley snow is sticking and right up by me it is looking good but the further I went down the snow was wet and also not sticking. temps also seemed high on car reading,i hope this does not mean that low lying areas will have wet snow or sleet be nice if everyone has a thumping of snow, have they given the temps to drop as the day goes on? I know they will drop after dark but I hope they do drop a bit as I think they need to for low lying areas going by today. maybe the upper temps be lower or other matters but as I don't know about them I thought I would ask.this snow today seems to have lasted longer than they said on the tv, so fingers crossed tonight and tommor be the same. Edited by welshwizard

Posted

Yep

Thank you ..that's why I love the web site informative posts like this one explaining things simply :-)

Here's hoping for a good pasting on the border

Posted

Working from home tommorrow morning but got to get to the Drs about 4pm. If the trains have stopped running down the Valley (which I suspect will be pretty much inevetable) going to have to walk about 4 miles through the worst of it tommorrow afternoon - not looking forwrad to that at all.

My mums a carer, in Dec 2010 the only way she could get around was by train so you never know. We had about 14inches of snow then. My mum is dreading this snow as she'll have to walk many miles every day to make sure her customers are okay (heating on, food etc). Hopefully the trains will still be operating so it makes it a bit easier for her. She went and put winter tires on her car this year and its a big car so she might be alri in a little bit of snow but I don't even think her car would be able to get through what we're gonna be experiencing tomorrow. Good luck anyway! I'm staying wrapped up in bed tomorrow watching through the window and taking pictures:)

Edited by Wales123098

Posted

This snow today is much more significant than forecast. I think the NAE model had more precip forecast today so hat's off to it because it often gets a lot of stick but seems to have got this one right.

It's been snowing here lightly all morning, sometimes a bit heavier but still not heavy in any sense of the word. Accumulating steadily at a rate of about .5cm per hour, on all surfaces except in the last hour as temperatures have risen (1.7c now, dp -0.7c) puddles have started to form in some places. Minor roads locally have a covering but are passable with care. I noice from travel reports that further west the A482 is closed near Lampeter due to snow, TonyH must be getting some snow now surely?

Posted

This snow today is much more significant than forecast. I think the NAE model had more precip forecast today so hat's off to it because it often gets a lot of stick but seems to have got this one right.

It's been snowing here lightly all morning, sometimes a bit heavier but still not heavy in any sense of the word. Accumulating steadily at a rate of about .5cm per hour, on all surfaces except in the last hour as temperatures have risen (1.7c now, dp -0.7c) puddles have started to form in some places. Minor roads locally have a covering but are passable with care. I noice from travel reports that further west the A482 is closed near Lampeter due to snow, TonyH must be getting some snow now surely?

I also have noticed the temps are rising,is this going to change the other way as the day goes on as areas like bridgend are very wet and no snow,and the snowy stuff that is falling down there is very wet,car temp down there was showing 3 to 3.5 surly they will need to drop quite a bit for tonight and tommor to be snow for them? even up here the last hr,even though snow is falling and falling good I noticed the snow on car has started to slip down so temps have risen here as well. I hope this front has not pulled warmer air in before the bigger snow event. what your thoughts?

Posted

Met Office warnings probably going to be updated soon. Wonder what they'll show