Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter Model Discussion 12Z 15/1/13 onwards.

Coast

Posted

http://www.meteociel...CM1-96.GIF?15-0

ECM sustains a full snow event away from the south coast- as the surface cold doesnt get mixed out by the 0c isotherm-

Just need to see the next energy move south over the next 4 ECM runs

S

No I use him as a scarecrow- sadly I think he scared the snow away...S

look at the 516b over north wales showed as a dot on the meto earlier?

Posted

the angle and locale of the occlusion on ecm days 3 and 5 are identical. thicknesses almost identical across the uk. the placement of the zero c isotherm the same to the sw. the uppers acrioss the the uk have risen by several degrees afetr the intial occlusion has gone through. one would expect teh T144 to be similar to the 0z run - just hope it heads more se.

Edited by bluearmy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Frost and snow. A quiet autumn day is also good.

ECM from 48 through to 96 just looks plain odd. Initial energy stalls, adopts a negative tilt, re energises and finally peters out. I cant remember seeing a stall and fizzle out scenario like that in my time as a weather junkie. It is bizarre, exciting and (I would think) an absolute bloody nightmare for the guys down at Exeter to make any sense of it. I dont think we will know until T+12 what is going to happen to this energy, and the exact angle of the tilt. I am hopeful of snow and fearful of cold rain all at once!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sun, Heat, Cold,T/storms via Spanish plumes *rare*

Now thats what I want to see, very nice ECM, going for the channel low, seems the block to the north resisted and sent energy further south! It look very similar to the GEM, I wouldnt be surprised if another low came and did the same thing further into the run..

post-17320-0-03908400-1358274739_thumb.g

Edited by Panayiotis

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October

Some incredibly cold nights over the snow fields, brings back memories of classic winters past.ohmy.png

Although it would still be raining here in North West Kent in those temps lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow

http://www.meteociel...M1-144.GIF?15-0

there we go- the ECM was listening....

Now we see just fragmented energy under the block- much more realistic...

very cold uppers continue to march SW through Scandi- more snow for the UK at 144-

S

would the snow be just in the south west steve .thanks

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heavy convective snow showers, blizzards, 30C sunshine

a pretty good chart has all the right ingredients of southerly tracking lows and heights to our north http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Recm1441.gif!!

One question about those heights can anyone tell me why they dont appear to be getting any stronger in fact they appear to be weakening if anything, i thought with a south jet they would naturally strengthencc_confused.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

ECM much the same out to T120hrs -cold,snow- trough extension SE towards France with much of the UK retaining freezing temps at the surface.

A forecasters nightmare to work out timings,amounts duration etc but looking very Wintery for many if these verified.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters

an area of lower heights- more instability- if you look thats where the fragmented front would be in situ before getting shunted east-S

Quick Question Steve

Do you think this is the main blast for the UK or more too come as I really don't see this lasting any longer than Monday.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!

Not too sure what to make of the FAX offerings at + 72.

the 528 Line barely touches the UK, surely that's not good news ?

fax72s.gif?15-12

Thickness' don't need to be below 528 in this situation with a continental flow. Snow can fall in thickness' of 540 in a continental climate!! Pop it into Google plenty of info around on the subject.

I would think the flow would become more south east as that front comes up against the block, as Steve says energy should slide/disrupt.

Edited by chris55

Posted

The current output brings me back to a question GP put the other day in terms of which is the more important signal for cold for the UK. A negative AO or negative NAO, I think thats how it was phrased but if GP is around he'll correct me if I have that wrong!

As we can see a positive NAO but negative AO here.

In terms of the ECM 168hrs it would have been much better without that piece of energy being left behind to phase with energy out of the eastern USA.

Overall though a good trend within 144hrs.

Posted

ECM1-168.GIF?15-0

Dear oh dear oh me. I mostly enjoy watching the discussion but this ECM is fantastic for cold. If this verifies we're in for a deep freeze. Exciting territory and potential. A few weeks ago we'd nearly written off this winter!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heavy convective snow showers, blizzards, 30C sunshine

Never mind our minus 4s and 6s look over near the great lakes http://www.meteociel...H0-168.GIF?15-0!! Chicago et al are going to be froze literally those 850's are the same as eastern siberia!!

A TRUE CONTINENTAL CLIMATE!!!

Imagine what -28s would produce from the north sea lol

Edited by Continental Climate

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters

a pretty good chart has all the right ingredients of southerly tracking lows and heights to our north http://www.wetterzen...cs/Recm1441.gif!!

One question about those heights can anyone tell me why they dont appear to be getting any stronger in fact they appear to be weakening if anything, i thought with a south jet they would naturally strengthencc_confused.gif

I believe its the fact that its just been attacked and shunted from it's original position.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

http://www.meteociel...M1-168.GIF?15-0

Dear oh dear oh me. I mostly enjoy watching the discussion but this ECM is fantastic for cold. If this verifies we're in for a deep freeze. Exciting territory and potential. A few weeks ago we'd nearly written off this winter!

Much like snow enthusiasts (if there were any) had written off 1947, I'd suspect. Nothing much happened until 21st January.

Quick Question Steve

Do you think this is the main blast for the UK or more too come as I really don't see this lasting any longer than Monday.

I expect a reload from the NE under the wedge of high- wont look spectacular in terms of big + VE high anomalies- but subtle dark blue heights from the east / NES

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Quick Question Steve

On what basis?

Far too far away to tell in my opinion, but remember the effects of the SSW are expected to show their hand towards the end of the month.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Never mind our minus 4s and 6s look over near the great lakes http://www.meteociel...H0-168.GIF?15-0!! Chicago et al are going to be froze literally those 850's are the same as eastern siberia!!

A TRUE CONTINENTAL CLIMATE!!!

Imagine what -28s would produce from the north sea lol

Jeeez! you'd be able to walk from the Western Highway NYC to the Statue of Liberty.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy..warm summers but not so hot you can fry an egg on the ground

On what basis?

Far too far away to tell in my opinion, but remember the effects of the SSW are expected to show their hand towards the end of the month.

complete novice question but what is the SSW and how will it effect our weather?sorry for posting this question here