Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter Model Discussion 12Z 15/1/13 onwards.

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sun, Heat, Cold,T/storms via Spanish plumes *rare*

ECM precipitation charts for those interested > http://en.vedur.is/w...ntic/#type=prec

Fridays band gives a country wide event (although more marginal in South Wales and South west), with the heaviest snow in the western counties.

130115_1200_72.png

A further band of precipitation on Sunday night, giving further snow to many

130115_1200_126.png

And to add this is Friday's upper air temp, shows why parts miss out on the snow (the oranges is the mild sector).

post-17320-0-47896600-1358277098_thumb.p

Edited by Panayiotis

Posted

Although watching with great interest and anticipation I get a certain feeling of deja vue concerning some of the postings. I have seen all this unrestrained hype before where model out put suggest a possible cold snap. Any chance that eventually somebody (or more than one model) might get it right?

Possibly more restraint and unbiased consideration might be the the order of the day.

We can only comment on what the models are showing. Also worth adding that as for a sense of deja Vu then what the models are suggesting is far from typical. Normally we associate the return of the Atlantic after a cold spell as short spell of snow followed by rain and turning milder. However due to the track and angle of these LP systems we could see this remain as snow and only milder temps reaching the far SW.

Posted

And to add this is Friday's upper air temp, shows why parts miss out on the snow (the oranges is the mild sector).

so most of wales getting no snow!!! ???

Posted

Although watching with great interest and anticipation I get a certain feeling of deja vue concerning some of the postings. I have seen all this unrestrained hype before where model out put has suggested a possible cold snap. Any chance that eventually somebody (or more than one model) might get it right?

Possibly more restraint and unbiased consideration might be the the order of the day.

Not too sure what you mean by this. All the signals remain in place for sustained cold. The difference here is we are not in mild air waiting for cold only to be let down, we ARE in a sustained period of cold and it's set to continue.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Will someone please kick that Atlantic front into touch please? All it will bring me is rain......

Posted

Sorry I know the answer but why do you say this? Its more likely to be snow.. Edited by Panayiotis

Posted

Some really cold 850's pushing up against the front on the UKMO. An all powder snow event on this run.

post-8968-0-58576800-1358277441_thumb.gi

Posted

Sorry I know the answer but why do you say this? Its more likely to be snow..

Not so sure about that. It remains in the balance for Wales and SW England at the moment, still a lot to play for, with a few days left for the models to twist and turn, but it's Marginal. Albeit I foresee snow.

Posted

No not that simple, you should be fine with the southeasterly feed. and the orange is from 0 to -4c. If you have 850hPa temps with that flow of below -1.5/2c you should be fine.

Edited by Matty M

Posted

Does anybody know what will be happening to the front / ppn coming in over Ireland ATM?

Edited by fazzafarrand

Posted

this could be breaking news come friday mark my words ecm is a snow fest

Phil Avery's latest bulletin includes his "concern" as fronts march east at the weekend.

"National emergency, quick - put the army on standby!"

Posted

Sorry I know the answer but why do you say this? Its more likely to be snow..

Presumably because of the chart you posted above showing the milder section in yellow/ orange lying all over Wales?

Posted

Does anybody know what will be happening to the front / ppn coming in over Ireland ATM?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/hi/news/newsid_7760000/7760862.stm

Posted

Stalling, fizzling out and sliding south.

Some residual precip will likely hug eastern Ireland tomorrow with some cold drizzle.

Posted

Looking at tonight run how far west does the warm sector reach across the UK or is that the extent as things currently stand? Thanks GSL

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

Sorry I was rather vague in my post.

When I referred to a short lived break I was meaning more for some locations such as SW, Extreme S counties of England. This could extend further N or S yet although you have to fancy the general pattern to be pushed further S.

i hope so i touched apon the mixing out this morning for the south in 09/10 we had brillant snow events caused by similar setup but this time it looks very knife edge stuff.

im hoping just a little correction south greedy i know but i said to the kids maybe a good snow event on friday.

Posted

Presumably because of the chart you posted above showing the milder section in yellow/ orange lying all over Wales?

Not so sure about that. It remains in the balance for Wales and SW England at the moment, still a lot to play for, with a few days left for the models to twist and turn, but it's Marginal. Albeit I foresee snow.

Please read the key, as you can see the cream/brown is the -5C upper temp, thats good for snow, and with the feed coming off the continent the dew points will be low=snow.

This wasn't meant to sound mean, just wanted to help anyone with queries/questions and I could see why people might have been worried for a minute or two.

Edited by Panayiotis

Posted

Looking at tonight run how far west does the warm sector reach across the UK or is that the extent as things currently stand? Thanks GSL

That should be pretty much it. The Block is strong, can't see the milder air coming any closer than that!

Posted

The difference between this spell and other hyped spells is that this is at 72 hours. Not 120 or 144. The pattern is broadly set and somewhere is going to be hammered between friday and Sunday. What is less clear is whether it will eventually break into milder or send us back to the freezer. Based on this evening, the latter seems more likely, and I can't wait.

The boundary only has to shift 200 miles to be very different so this is a slight caution for beyond the end of the weekend!

Posted

Phil Avery's latest bulletin includes his "concern" as fronts march east at the weekend.

"National emergency, quick - put the army on standby!"

Are the fronts and the potential snow expected to reach the far east?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

And the yellow bit? What's that, undecided?

Looked at key, ignore me

Edited by karlos1983

Posted
I have seen all this unrestrained hype before where model out put has suggested a possible cold snap. Any chance that eventually somebody (or more than one model) might get it right?

This the model discussion thread and not the weather forecast.

The models are open to interpretation, and each will be different, and everyone that reads the charts will have differing views.