Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West/Central Southern England Regional Discussion 17th Januray 2013, 12z Onwards

Brad lough

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Frost and snow. A quiet autumn day is also good.

With the amount of teachers on this board, it sounds like you are all more excited than the childrenlaugh.png

Yep - that's for sure. I've got one lad here who has never ever seen snow and he is 16 years old. Hoping for his sake alone that we can bury him in a snow hole :-)

Posted

You'll probably be kept up all night instead. rofl.gif

Over the worst of that thank god as she is 6 months now. Juat woke.her.for a.last feed rather than chance being woken at 4am lol.

That's weird - my road only has them on one side as well! The other side is a tree-lined school field and it's very dark over there. The extra height of the new posts do seem to direct the light into bedrooms more than the old ones did.

Yes our besroom is very light.Helps with getting up for a pee in the nightmind!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Partial dustings here from the light snow that's been on and off since mid-afternoon, more off than on during this evening, but seems to be getting more organised on the Wiltshire/Gloucestershire border to the West, this is well before the main band is due by 7am.

Same here Enforcer though has eased of in last hour. Temperature here is 0.9c Dewpoint -2c

Posted

I have circled a growth in ppn behind the front....is this a sign of more ppn developing, ready to join the front?? next 20 minutes will tell us yes or no....

post-9222-0-97664100-1358465784_thumb.pn

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper seasonal weather but especially warm sunny summers.

Can really hear the wind starting to whip up now. Dewpoint is good, just need the temp to drop abit.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers and cold winters with snow.

Those blizzards of the late 70s/early 80s?

I was in my late teens/early 20s then - they were special, for sure!

Ah yes, really special as a kid growing up I look back to those days with fond memories.

Posted

hey mate, wheres the snow ?? all i see is slushy rain sad.png

now into my 12th hour of snow, got about 1cm of slush with sleet at about 70% snow.

Appleshaw!

might have a dirve up to the causeway tomorrow bet its thick up there now!!!

would have had an inch or 2 if the dewpoints were down a touch.

Looking at info 150mtr level and above will be snow at the moment in this area..

really want temps and dewpoints to drop and get this stuff frozen before the propper front arrives!!

Posted

Hmmmm away watching this as concerned about getting back...reports of rain surprising..is it not the low dragging warm temps before it bumps cold?

Yes - the SE feed hasnt quite kicked in yet, so frontal boundary at around Plymouth is rain or sleet at present on a mainly southerly feed. However this will change soon I would think. Look like the Met have it about spot on for 3am to be widespread frontal snow across Devon and into Somerset with slow progression eastwards.

Slower the better as far as I am concerned - even holding out a slight hope that the front may slide and pivot a little more than forecast and hold the main precipitation to the south. Those in the north and east need to realise that we get sick to death of watching streamers off the north sea while we usually bathe in cold rain off the atlantic. Time for the SW to have its revenge for the first time since the famous Dorset Snow Dump of February 1996. !!!

Posted

This is great, where can I view the radar?

I have it on my Ipad Weather Pro HD something I paid for, I pay everything I can get weather related. Net-Weather Extra still one of the best I ever paid for. Always recommend if you have not got. Just for all the extra info, it's great.

Edited by SupaSnowy

Posted

I'm tucking in for the night, it's been teeming down with rain for several hours now in West Cornwall and it's getting heavier. When this stuff hits the cold there is going to be a huge dumping of snow for you lot in Devon, Somerset, and further East, I'm so envious.

Have fun in it tomorrow morning and take care.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper seasonal weather but especially warm sunny summers.

Yep - that's for sure. I've got one lad here who has never ever seen snow and he is 16 years old. Hoping for his sake alone that we can bury him in a snow hole :-)

My eldest didn't see proper snow until he was nearly 13. We did have a good snowfall Jan 96 but he was only 10 months old. I was relieved as i didn't want my children growing up and missing out on all the fun.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat, Ice, Freezing Fog. Etc

We have very wet sleet in Salisbury. I'm worried that when the snow comes it will be too wet to stick! I'm working until 3 tonight so it's nice to have some company waiting for things to happen!

Dont worry about the wet, I've seen an inch of snow settle from 45 mins of snow, after 6 hours of heavy rain. If its cold enough no problem...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold and Storms

i think it's all going to get much colder and maybe have a proper winter!

I think its on the cards mate.

Posted

dewpoint at last hit the magical -0.0 and thats me done until 5:30am ready for a days play in the snow I hope

its been emotional - see you tomorrow :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental climate suits me very fine.

Does anyone have a accute website for dew points? Wunderground has gone wrong fro my location.

Posted

This is great, where can I view the radar?

Just use this free one:

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

Posted

I have it on my Ipad Weather Pro HD something I paid for, I pay everything I can get weather related. Net-Weather Extra still one of th best I ever paid for. Always recommend if you have not got. Just for all the extra info, it's great.

Well according to the radar we should be under the rain now but it's as dry as a chip

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

Yes - the SE feed hasnt quite kicked in yet, so frontal boundary at around Plymouth is rain or sleet at present on a mainly southerly feed. However this will change soon I would think. Look like the Met have it about spot on for 3am to be widespread frontal snow across Devon and into Somerset with slow progression eastwards.

Slower the better as far as I am concerned - even holding out a slight hope that the front may slide and pivot a little more than forecast and hold the main precipitation to the south. Those in the north and east need to realise that we get sick to death of watching streamers off the north sea while we usually bathe in cold rain off the atlantic. Time for the SW to have its revenge for the first time since the famous Dorset Snow Dump of February 1996. !!!

I was 13 back then, was really the only time I remember it snowing as a kid.

Posted

With the amount of teachers on this board, it sounds like you are all more excited than the childrenlaugh.png

All drinking copious amounts as well!! rofl.gifrofl.gif What does that say about the state of our education system?? laugh.pnglaugh.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

ok why is it raining ??? i suspecting dew points are too high

AT 0.5c in Newbury, DP -0.3c so almost marginal. However, snowcover on grass and roofs here, 1010.8mb falling rapidly barometer.

Heres a current satellite image to show you an idea of the current progress of the main event.

post-7183-0-29714800-1358465785_thumb.jp

Here is the prediction of where things should be come midnight.

post-7183-0-72518000-1358465846_thumb.pnpost-7183-0-20464200-1358465847_thumb.pn

Here's how things just half an hour before the timeframe suggested above.

post-7183-0-94086200-1358466037_thumb.pn

Bear in mind, the only snowfall being reported right now is over the higher parts of Dartmoor and from the bits and pieces well ahead of the main band.

Now, make up your own minds as to whether things are on track, I guess they are. sorry.gif

As to tracking the rest of the event, I will once again refer you to my post from earlier, which breaked down the 3 hourly projections ahead of us. good.gif

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/75613-south-westcentral-southern-england-regional-discussion-17th-januray-2013-12z-onwards/page__st__180#entry2519158

Edited by gottolovethisweather